ATF cashed check 10 months ago ....

• 4 weeks later...

Just received notice in the past five days that three of my Form 4's had been approved. Two were 11 months old, and the other was 8.5 months. Interestingly, they were from two different dealers, but all three were approved by the same person on the same day. So perhaps the ATF is starting to get organized.

Both dealers also said that their E-form 4's have been taking around 3 months from submission to approval. So, assuming that they keep that system tuned and running, wait times may be much better in the future.

Forever hopeful....

Just had four paper form 4s approved to me on the same date from the same examiner. One was 8 months old, one was 6, one 5 and one 4 months old. It definitely appears like that are once again batching forms. I also have one e-form 4 thats just under two months old that was not included with the others. Edited by tommyboy

I just bought a machinegun from a dealer (in Tennessee) and he E filed form 3 to my dealer (North Dakota) on 3/17/22 and it was approved 3/18/22. He shipped the gun yesterday (3/21/22) and it should be at my dealer 3/24/22. I will E file form 4 when it gets here.

U D

Looking forward to your efile form 4 results!

I have 2 form 4 paper in December 2021 and will be 2 e file March 2022. I post the results.

My local gun shop is small, but Class III. He investigated eFile and said that you have to buy a "system" to make it work because the photos, prints etc. can't just be scanned but have to be sent in some sort of proprietary file format for eFile. The latest cost of such a "system" is about $5,000 according to him.

He asked me to ask you which or what "system" your North Dakota guy is using to do your form 4 transfer - if you wouldn't mind sharing that.

Thanks,

Eric

System for efile? You can upload regular jpeg photos you can take with your phone, as far as fingerprints there is a cover letter to send in paper fingerprint cards.

You can also get fingerprinted for $40-$45.00 they send you a file. You cannot open the file but it gets uploaded on eforms. This link for electronic fingerprints, they will give you locations near you

https://appointment....ason?ClientId=0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was checking the internet on NFA information and came across this report.
I have a buddy who told me that the crazy wait times for the form 4 was due to the large number of silencers being sold. He may be right, I don't know. But if you go to page 13 of the report, it shows the very large rise in the number of form 4s being processed. Interesting stuff.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/report/2021-firearms-commerce-report/download

• 2 weeks later...

Paper Form 4 transfer to an SOT:

Filed March 4

Approved May 26

Stamp received June 4

E-filed Form 4 from the same SOT to me

Filed Feb 21

Finger print cards received Feb 24

90 days was May 25

awaiting approval

Edited by StrangeRanger

I remember 40 years ago 30 days on all of it.And you could call the examiner and talk to a real human get answers, and have it faxed. Sure today i understand many more thousands buying selling and all guess what want the answer to that update the freaking system for all. And a check box if n.f.a. already >has guns and cans {and its a good guy } and not been arrested and all taken away. approve it and done.

But i understand it would take common sense and some brains to get all that figured out. And they don't want it all out there anyhow. Because they work against us. So we just pitter patter all a round it to say bless me father can i have another. welcome to a blessed 2022... Old Man Rage.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoke Friday with atf, 13 months to the day check was cashed, two takeaways first my application is "pending", second they have approved eforms sent in December and they now have priority over paper form 4 (go figure) frustrating to say the least, additionally, I was informed once approved the atf can take an additional 45 days to send the tax stamp, so hypothetically if approved on Monday I'm still a month away meaning 14 plus months this is crazy

I have a gun I sold on a C&R Form 4

in September, buyer's check sent in and cashed in November, and stamp showed up yesterday! That was fast! 8 months... buyer did recently ( a month prior to purchasing my gun) also purchase a Vickers, It showed up a month ago too. Could be that purchase streamlined his paperwork this time around.

Edited by giantpanda4

I got my ATF form 4 approval today. The ATF charged my credit card on April 4th, and I got the approval today. My form 4 was kind of a hybrid, I eFiled the form 4 but the fingerprint cards were cards that were done by hand, with ink. Less than 3 months. I am pretty excited, Christmas in June!
Mark

post-275737-0-05993500-1655936099_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rabbit57
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Finally, approval today after 14 months, looking forward to many fun days at the range, at least over the last year I've been able to purchase spare parts, mags, etc. Now I'm waiting getting back a 21 style actuator I sent off to PK last year a savage knurled actuator going thru his process

Ive had Form 4s take as long as 12 months, and as little as two months - in the past two years.

I used the e-forms system for a can back in January. It was supposed to take 30 days, just got approval last week, right at six months.

They do what they want to do, when they want to do it. Its best to forget about it and be pleasantly surprised when the call comes

Edited by Rimcrew

• 2 weeks later...

Yugo M49/57 on a Wilson tube

eForm 4 filed and Visa debited 21 Feb 22

FP cards received in WV 24 Feb 22

eForm 4 approved 9 Aug 22

166 days from receipt of FP cards

169 days from filing.

So 24 weeks vs. 51 for my last paper Form 4. I'll take the improvement as a plus even if it's nowhere near the 90 days they have set as a target.

I just wish NFA branch would have prioritized the paper forms 4 that were in the NFA system prior to a Form 4 becoming e-form eligible. The paper form 4's were the only option available pre e-forms and they now seem to be an after thought with 12 months being the average time for approval with some paper forms going over 400 + days.

Edited by Bridgeport28A1

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2022 at 4:15 PM, Uncle Dudley said:

We finally got the last transfer done today, efiled. The dealer said his equipment was about $7,000.00. He had to buy ATF approved equipment from a list and the printer needs to be FBI certified. We have 2 Thompsons on paper form 4 in state and now 2 form 4 e filed. The dealer I got this Ruger from said he already had a couple 9 week form 4 approvals since the first of the year.

Scott AC556 4.jpg

Scott AC556 3.jpg

My oldest got his Ruger AC556 transfer October 27, 2022 (efiled March 11 2022- local dealer).  There was a "glytch"  on this one and the dealer spoke to the examiner and had to refile all or some of the information,  It was on the ATF end and straightened out on October 26 then approved October 27.  The 2 paper form 4s for the Thompsons were approved October 27, 2022 and arrived in the mail today November 7, 2022, ( mailed December 21, 2021).  Were still waiting on the other Ruger AC556, for my youngest, efiled March 30, 2022.  My oldest now has both approved and my youngest is waiting on the efile for the Ruger.