1918 A2 bolt stuck forward

Hey guys Im having trouble with my newly purchased group industries bar bolt getting stuck forward sometimes. You have to hit the butt stock on something pretty hard while pulling the bolt back to get it to release. I make sure to use plenty of oil every time I clean but that doesnt seem to help. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

I don't know crap about BARs but is it possible to build up enough ash in the gas tube that the bolt will remain closed and the cocking handle will not be able to retract the slide/piston? I realize the handle has no mechanical advantage but I would expect the piston to scrape the worst of the carbon as it cycled. There may be something a lot worse going on here

Check the chamber also empty casings may be sticking . Had this on a couple barrels with pitted chambers. They load and unload fine if just cycling the gun but when you fire it pushes the brass case out into every little imperfection and they get stuck

Strip her down and look at the front of the receiver where the gas piston rod / block goes through . Is the rectangular cut for that centered or off to one side ? The thickness of the receiver walls on each side should be the same . If one side is much thicker than the other it is one of the mis-machined ones .

Chris

And yes , a bit of beach sand on the gas piston can lock up a BAR lickity split . Ask any Marine BAR man .

Check the chamber also empty casings may be sticking . Had this on a couple barrels with pitted chambers. They load and unload fine if just cycling the gun but when you fire it pushes the brass case out into every little imperfection and they get stuck

It is one of the mis machined ones. There is very little difference in the sides of the receiver. Didnt learn this until after I bought it. Was hoping it wasnt bad enough to cause any problems. Gun has never jammed and bolt didnt start sticking until I got about 150 rounds thru it

I'd be curious if the Piston is sticking in the gas tube or something internal is causing the jam. Next time it jams you could try sliding the gas tube forward before you try pulling back on the bolt. See if the Piston is indeed sticking. You also didn't say if it's jamming with a stuck empty case or unfired live round, or an empty chamber. Edited by deerslayer

So you have a fired empty round in the chamber. Sounds like it's not ejecting the round then rechambering the empty which is normally tight after being fired. Try putting a fresh empty in the chamber and letting the bolt slam forward. It will stick. Are the normal fired cases landing by your feet or off to the side a ways.

Alright I went and fired the gun today to refresh my memory what was happening for sure. Its been a couple months since I shot it. The bolt gets stuck forward with no shell in chamber. You can release the bolt without loading a round into the chamber and it will 4 times out of 5 get stuck forward and you have to hit the butt stock pretty good on something. I have some pictures of two casing I fired today and will try to upload them on here.

Alright I went and fired the gun today to refresh my memory what was happening for sure. Its been a couple months since I shot it. The bolt gets stuck forward with no shell in chamber. You can release the bolt without loading a round into the chamber and it will 4 times out of 5 get stuck forward and you have to hit the butt stock pretty good on something. I have some pictures of two casing I fired today and will try to upload them on here.

Turns out I didnt know how to fully clean my gun lol. The gas tube and regulator definitely needed to be cleaned and that seemed to fix my bolt getting stuck forward. Thanks for all the help guys. There is a lot more to a BAR than any gun Im used to.

Beangun,

Looks like you have solved the problem, that is, unless you have more than one issue.

The top empty case caught my eye. I appears to retain a roll crimp. If the cartridges are longer than specs the empty case will expand into the forcing cone and stick in the chamber.

What ammo are you using and is the case length within specs????

Jim C