sten from French résistance

Good morning all,

This post is the first I post on this site. I therefore present my friendly greetings to your entire community.
I wanted to associate myself with your reflection in order to present you a curious detail on a STEN.
this one was parachuted to the maquis of the center of France and I do not know the reason for the present of this trace of machining on this weapon.
Do any of you know what this is about?
thanking you
ML

post-279570-0-14903400-1647620360_thumb.jpeg

Welcome. Thanks for sharing the Sten pictures. I'm not sure of the reason for the specific machining. I considered that it may have been done to provide additional retention for the magwell (although the plunger is usually sufficient, it's always possible this particular weapon may have had some issue). Perhaps someone else may have more specific feedback.

what are the markings that are stamped on the mag housing ? any other markings, knowing this helps identify, where is this weapon on display ? perhaps one of our members has seen it before , any chance this weapon is a under ground built item, i wonder about the loop stock as i thought the mk2 stens were mostly the stick stocks,, just wondering.

If you're German and you captured a sten with one or no magazines all you had to do to utilize MP40 magazines is drill the bolt handle, rotate the bolt, redo the ejector, put a spacer in the front of the mag well and you have an MP3008. This is much faster than building one from scratch and could potentially be done in the field. That's how I would start to build MP3008's which really weren't "a thing" anyhow for the most part. Once you've rotated the magazine housing you'd be surprised how nice of a gun a sten becomes?

No one makes guns at the end of the war from scratch if they don't have to?

Or they just rotated the housing and continued to use sten mags? Either way it's a game changer for that gun.

To the original question, the cuts may not be significant at all? Maybe to move the ejector or get rid of markings or ?

Better pics get better answers?

Thank you for your abundant posts on this subject. I think we must reject the idea of an association between the use of this Sten and the charger of an MP3008. In fact, historically, the German "Sten" is practically never seen in France. The MP 40 was infinitely more common. Moreover, in the center of France, the fighting did not much oppose the Germans to the Resistance (except in 1944 when they left for Normandy) but rather the French Militiamen to the Resistance. In fact the mix of Franco-German weapons and accessories is not a prosperous track in my opinion.

Does the idea of manufacturing machining persist? but why ?
also possibility to rig an accessory? But which one?
I'm looking to see if it's possible to raise the manufacturing plant
thank you again for your help
MLT

sten copys were made in small workshops in poland, denmark, italy and others, from a distance they all looked like stens but up clouse many differences,,with crude welding and hand made parts, where is this sten that you posted photo of and what markings are on it, just askin

Historically German stens are not generally found at all with so few made. There are several here in the US, and only a few Germans and a sub made it over here? LOL

I bet stens were worth a LOT during the war?

No way to make that run unless the bolt is modified and the ejector is moved. Maybe the magazine housing is just twisted down to make it hang on the wall better? And isn't actually functional? Better pics would end speculation/ guessing game?

Thanks for sharing the Sten pictures from France!

Need better pictures of that serial number but it appears to be

FZ, which would make it a late production ROF Fazakerley assembled gun(most likely since Fazakerley assembled the most MKIIs).The B&T is a sub contractor mark and mostly likely stands for Broadhurst & Thompson. They only made magazine housings so maybe this was a sub contractor anomaly.

Further research is needed, bu

All this information came from the Peter Laidlers wonderful book The Sten Machine Carbine. Its expensive now. But it is an unequalled resource.