Scored A 1921a Colt Today

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you on this board for your help answering my questions over the past six months. I appreciate the advice and education.

Secondly, after a three month hunt and a three month chase, the FedEx guy just delivered a signed bill of sale and BATF Transfer Form for the Colt 1921A that I have been chasing. It is matching, all correct, never been refinished, (ok, maybe some true-oil on the wood) and is complete with an original FBI case, oilier, and four triple patent date mags. It is in the 14XX serial number range, and has been in the same family since 1941 or so. My dad knew about the weapon in the 1950's and 1960's and he sent me in the right direction to track it down.

It was amnesty registered in 1968, thankfully.

Will post the full story and photos when I get it in my final posession, in about 45-90 days.

Snipershot http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Makes me terribly green, but very happy for your find. I'm glad its in good hands!

Sounds very nice!

We want pictures!

And.... what do you know of it's history? Fill us in!

Thanks!

Full details and photos to come, but only after I have it in my gun safe. Let's just say that it's been in the same family for 60+ years, and no Thompson collector has ever seen it. In fact, I'm probably one of only 2-3 people outside of the family who have ever seen it. It is not in Gordon's book. My dad worked as a policeman with the current owner's father in the 50-60's and told me just enough to track it down over time.

Sniper

Sniper,

Major congratulations!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Nice job tracking down this piece. We all want to hear all of the details and wait anxiously for the photos. Preserve as much history as possible, including getting a signed history from the former owner.

Are you going to be attending the TCA Show and Shoot this August? If so, we would all love to see this baby.

Again, good on ya!

Roger

Snipershot,

A Colt 21A - My favorite configuration of the Tohmpson. You lucky b@$t@rd! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Enjoy it!

Norm

Roger-I would dearly love to, as I only live about 50 miles away, but I just joined the TCA and was late in getting my reservations in. My wife has had some health problems, and I wasn't going to commit till I knew that she would not need me.

Plus, I won't have it till after the event, if the BATF takes their normal registration time.

I have seen the NRA exhibit, though, and it is truly wonderful.

Sniper

sniper,

To root up a TSMG like that, salted away for 63 years, considering the market for run of the mill NFA stuff, the word "cheap" no longer exists in the lexicon. For it to be not "cheap," would make this discovery one for Ripley.

That is interesting that the gun has been with the same family since 1941. Whom did they purchase it from?

sniper,

You've given all us hope in finding a sleeper or two still out there. Sounds like you live pretty close we just might have to get a Thompson shoot together this fall. Hey Phil, you out there?

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the story of the aquisition !

Chuck