Reconditioned PPSH 41 (1944 Star) Numbers Matching Gun

After many months of care, my PPSH is back. Originally purchased through MidWest Tactical several years ago, the gun was in obvious distressed condition, but fully functional and with all original matching parts/pieces. Lucky for us collectors, Russian manufacturing in the 1940's was totally overkill and the metal used (as compared to German MP40/STG 44) was much thicker, thus allowing for more wear and tear, and eventually restoration.

John Andrewski was partnered with to conduct the work with no set budget. The gun was 100% disassembled, stripped to white and then metal worked to reduce or eliminate any field pitting. No filler of any type was used. both front and rear sights were removed as well. The gun was then hot blued in the original factory shade/color and reassembled with all original parts, gauged and test fired. Once in my possession, I worked the stock as shown.

Before and after pics. This gun is as nice as they come. Hats off to John for his work.

post-262407-0-80730000-1649768764_thumb.jpg

post-262407-0-71400500-1649768894_thumb.jpg

post-262407-0-80331200-1649768986_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rekraps
free up space

And for you technical people out there, note that the PPSH (1944):

• has the early production non-reinforced lower metal receiver
  • has the early production non-reinforced wood stock (no through bolt)
  • has the early production single piece upper and lower receiver pivot pin (detent version)
  • Is a "Star" production piece (see production codes in a pinned post)
  • has the later production 100/200 flip fixed rear sight
  • numbers matching (six locations); stock, FCG, bolt, rear lower receiver stock tang, upper receiver and barrel.

Per John's instructions, I am oiling the finish every few days and it is really taking on a beautiful rich deep appearance.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, it takes a lot of faith in a Gunsmith to turn over a piece of history. John's work was incredible and the end-result is a piece that is as factory new as can be had, and one that is correct and safe to shoot. I let loose a few magazines at the range the other day and of course the rate of fire is so high that everyone just had to see what it was.

I'm always on the lookout for PPSH's but very few come up that meet my minimum standard of matching numbers (all else can be fixed!). My MP40 (Bnz 41) was a similar story, but the metal is 1/4th the thickness of the PPSH so only so much could be done.

My boys don't know how lucky they are... and what they will inherit.

I'm glad you are happy with it, but you definitely should have left it alone. It looked absolutely awesome before and was hardly that worn for a PPSh-41. I own two and they are both worn more than that. The stamps are now faint and smoothed over with no raised metal on the edges of the stamps, and the typical scrapes and rough metal finish and texture of WWII PPSh-41 receivers is now gone forever. The original finish on a gun is only original once and is part of the history of the gun. Again, I am glad you like it, but I got to share my opinion.

I'm glad you are happy with it, but you definitely should have left it alone. It looked absolutely awesome before and was hardly that worn for a PPSh-41. I own two and they are both worn more than that. The stamps are now faint and smoothed over with no raised metal on the edges of the stamps, and the typical scrapes and rough metal finish and texture of WWII PPSh-41 receivers is now gone forever. The original finish on a gun is only original once and is part of the history of the gun. Again, I am glad you like it, but I got to share my opinion.

Im with you.Keep it with that battlefield pickup look. Its expensive to refinish and loses value. But to each their own.Its certainly beautifuly refinished and a very nice job.