Wh 1928 Rate Of Fire

I paid $6400 for mine about 2 years ago..Probably about 80%, but British Proof marks, an extra bolt, several mags, a Ciener suppressor, and a home-made 9mm kit.....Got it from a friend (tax time) and he wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it. Though he could have gotten more for it, apparently the Thompson Greed bug has not cross bred and infected the grease gun market (as far as he is concerned). I did see another Brit marked for sale (http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=4314&query=retrieval). He started at $14k, now the ad says sold @ $13k...I think a little high even for a Brit marked, but then again It's whatever you are willing to pay, I personally say $8-10K depending on condition,accessories,etc...Maybe a little more if it's an M3A1. (my .02)

Ron,

The "greed" is not just a Thompson or a machine gun thing. More like a "collectibles greed." The current issue of "Muscle Cars" magazine has an article where the author bemoans "muscle car greed", the average Joe car collector can't get any kind of muscle car anymore, even a 70's Chevelle with a small block is beyond affordable, etc.

I'm the guy that had the M3 listed at 13,000. Started at 14,000 no offers. Dropped to 13,000. Had some 11,500 offers and sold it for 12,000. Later that day I had an offer of 12,500, Oh well.

I just got my 10th Thompson(1st Colt though) a week or so ago. It's beautiful piece of old world craftmanship but Grease Guns are more fun to shoot than Tommy guns and can be easily suppressed(I've got two suppressed and two unsuppressed), I love 'em.

QUOTE (jim @ Jul 4 2004, 12:37 AM)
Grease Guns are more fun to shoot than Tommy guns and can be easily suppressed(I've got two suppressed and two unsuppressed), I love 'em.

Well Jim, I have shot my share of GGs and the Thompson is definitely funner IMHO. The GG runs so slow it puts me to sleep. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

QUOTE (jim @ Jul 4 2004, 12:37 AM)
I'm the guy that had the M3 listed at 13,000. Started at 14,000 no offers. Dropped to 13,000. Had some 11,500 offers and sold it for 12,000. Later that day I had an offer of 12,500, Oh well.
I just got my 10th Thompson(1st Colt though) a week or so ago. It's beautiful piece of old world craftmanship but Grease Guns are more fun to shoot than Tommy guns and can be easily suppressed(I've got two suppressed and two unsuppressed), I love 'em.

to post on this board you are allowed only one thompson maybe two,so you must share the other's here with other member's.......this is the way and the order of

"the Brotherhood"

i have spoken..........now advertise them at fair prices........ we will share in your burden........

and all who partakes in the feast will rejoice........

if however you wish not to partake in this ritual.........send nick $50.00 to keep this place open..........wink!!

and they told me when i joined i was caaarazy!!!

take care ron/colt21a

I know, I know it seems crazy to have this..... http://www.hunt101.com/img/194703.JPG

But enjoy shooting something that looks like this......

http://www.hunt101.com/img/194706.JPG

even more!!!!

Oh, by the way. I didn't have all those Tommy guns at once, just over the last 5 years or so. 2 pre-sample Savage '28's, 1 fully transferable Savage M1, 6 original uncut post-sample M1A1's(mixed lot of Savage and Auto-Ordnance). The one posted above is the one I'm gonna try and keep.

Really? They came up when I posted them and again when I refreshed.

Pretty darn quiet, most of what is heard is the "clacking" of the bolt when the round is chambered. I think the effectiveness of a suppressor on a M3/M3A1 is due to the massive bolt and slow cyclic rate, not to mention the bolt never hits the back of the reciever. Thanks to that heavy bolt, not much noise escapes from the ejection port. The M3 in the picture is the one I sold, I've got Guide Lamp M3A1's with and without suppressors, I just didn't have a good picture handy to post.

My M3 w/Ciener suppressor is the same way..all you really hear is the action cycling and then the bullet impacting down range....that heavy bolt, slow rate of fire, and the naturally sub-sonic 230 grain .45...sweet,sweet,sweet http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Bob,

Is that figure on the M1A1 with an M1 bolt or the fixed firing pin bolt?

My M1 has what seems to be a fairly high rate of fire. I've shot other guys M1A1s and they seem to run noticeably slower.

QUOTE (Bob @ Jul 8 2004, 03:59 PM)
Fixed. standard bolt.

My AO M1 has the (M1) bolt with the sand cuts and I have not timed that one yet.

Wow!

I wouldn't have guessed that high. I suppose that with the M1 bolt it would raise the rate maybe 100+ rpm? Depending on the brand of ammo used, of course. It would be interesting to find that out.

I knew my gun would really spit 'em out but I never would have thought that it would be zipping along that fast. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

QUOTE (Remo Williams @ Jul 8 2004, 06:27 PM)
Jim,
What make of suppressor is that on your M3? I am starting to shop around for a can to go with my M3A1. Your setup looks nicer than any other I have seen. Thanks.

It's a TL Guns suppressor(now out of business), it was quiet when I got it from them but had an annoying high pitched "ping" noise after every shot. I took it apart and discovered that the 4" multiple ported barrel had no form of sound "trapping" or "defusing" material around the ported barrel. So when the gases exhausted into that section of the suppressor tube it would bleed back into the barrel and out the ejection port via the barrel chamber. I fixed that problem by simply wrapping very fine stainless steel screen/mesh around the barrel and tying the mesh coiled tightly with wire. No more "ping".

As far as I know, there are not many Class 2's that make grease gun suppressors right now, Belt fed Bob has a recent manufactured grease gun can, I can't recall who made his though.

Hi Jim,

It's a Tim Bixler can I got from Kevin at AAC. It too had the "ping" until I packed the expansion chamber with brass wool. Now you hear the bolt mostly. We need to test the Thompsons again...when we going to "the pit"?

Maybe Saturday?