Rheinmetall MG42/59 parts kit with Heavy 1200 g Bolt AND Heavy Buffer

maxfaxdude

I received a Rheinmetall/PB Beretta MG42/59 parts kit with Heavy 1200 g Bolt AND Heavy Buffer from RTG parts yesterday.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/RHEINMETALL-PB-BERETTA-MG42-59-PARTS-KIT-WITH-HEAVY-BOLT-HEAVY-BUFFER-17p10316.htm

Has everything but the barrel and its extension.

My kit appears to have come from a gun that was used very, very little.

Pics below.

I can't wait to try out the heavy bolt/buffer combo next time I get out to range.

post-262001-0-06103000-1661117909_thumb.jpg

post-262001-0-32252000-1661117960_thumb.jpg

post-262001-0-32538300-1661117985_thumb.jpg

post-262001-0-82473700-1661118010_thumb.jpg

post-262001-0-79436400-1661118037_thumb.jpg

Might also want to check the booster size? Maybe you swap it out or leave it?

I've had that stuff for a long time, but still haven't had the time to try it all out? My kit won't be here til tuesday.

Glad I splurged for barrels back in the day when 308 barrels were $50 and original barrels were 200+. Back in those days 8mm was .08 for the good stuff and .20 for .308. How times have changed?

From what I understand, the Italians, who wanted the rate reduction to reduce damage to their post-war MG42s asked Rheinmetall for the heavy bolts and buffers, then found that the same heavy use of their MGs that damaged the guns with the standard rpm were still damaged by the use of the heavy bolt and special buffer. Allegedly they got rid of them and went back to the standard high rpm.

Recreational use of the heavy bolt and buffer should not have an adverse effect on an MG42, most likely. FWIW

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand, the Italians, who wanted the rate reduction to reduce damage to their post-war MG42s asked Rheinmetall for the heavy bolts and buffers, then found that the same heavy use of their MGs that damaged the guns with the standard rpm were still damaged by the use of the heavy bolt and special buffer. Allegedly they got rid of them and went back to the standard high rpm.

Recreational use of the heavy bolt and buffer should not have an adverse effect on an MG42, most likely. FWIW

I would think when shooting with the heavy bolt and buffer that one should only shoot 7.62 x 51 mm and use the recoil spring included.

The flash hider and recoil booster in the kit are of different dimensions but would it be ok to use the original WW2 parts?

Any input would be helpful.

Edited by maxfaxdude

Any actual data or reports to back that up? PB seems to have made their own system in addition to that of Rheinmetall? There are numerous variations of bolts/buffers over the years from various places. Additionally, there can be various booster cone dimensions/styles. AFAIK the recoil springs are all the same with the exception of new vs. old. I don't currently have the time to set up a load cell to check them though. The kits that came in seem to be 60's dated and essentially unused from what I see.

Unless some actual MG3 test data is provided, each combo will be somewhat of an experiment for us at this point. Can't say if the 60's stuff is better than the 70's stuff, which is better than the 80's? All I can say is all of them appear different.

IMG_8842.JPG