Browning 1918 Winchester RIA

Does anyone know the final price of the Winchester RIA sold on Friday? It was listed as lot number 369 with a pre sale estimate of $55-$85K .I still have mine and I will be displaying it at Big Sandy in October if somebody wants to tire kick it.

Keep in mind that the seller pays fed capital gains tax on reported sale price from the auction house and fed/state income tax on the sale price. If you bought it cheap, the 25% and added expenses hit could eat up the expected profit from the auction house sale over selling it on the market. The buyer's premium is included in the final 1099 reported value of the gun.
There's also a seller's fee at RIA added to the seller's overhead for handling of the sale by the auction house. Do the math for the potential percent nick of the owner's pot. It's high.

The "X" prefix appears to be factory so this gun has an added provenance even though it appears that it's meaning is unknown.

What affect this had on the gavel the price can't really be determined but it is a factor in some way no doubt.
Will a comparable example of a 1918 Winchester without the 'x' bring the same money?
Only one way to test that premise and then you will still not really know! FWIW
Edited by BRMCII

Good point BRMCII. I have sold several of my Class 3 stuff through Julian, but they are now Morphy and yes, a hand shake cash sale (in my opinion) is still the way to go for both sides. Even listing on GB now exposes the buyer to their state sales tax which on a 50K rifle could be $4500. I am no expert on these fine rifles but did Jim Ballou describe the significance of the X in the serial number?

X is supposedly duplicate serial number. That would not add any value at all IMO. The gun did appear to be in good condition, but of course no description on whether or not the internal parts were all original?

You would potentially pay a capital gain on the sale, not income tax depending on the status of the gun/ ownership, etc.. The value of that would be what you netted which would include a potential deduction for the sellers premium depending on the deal you cut when you listed. Not everyone pays a sellers premium at RIA.

The answer is always "it depends"

On the state level I pay nothing, but others may?

There were some deals to be had on a couple NFA guns that I was able to check into. Others went very high.

If anyone on the board bought this one or sold it, I would love to talk to them. Mine is just about 20 serial numbers off and also listed in the book. FOIA indicates mine was in the Bay Area in the 49s when it was first registered. This one was a commercial one as well. There were no date or flaming bombs on the end of the barrel of this one or mine, just the markings seen in the RIA ad. Would love to compare notes.

• 1 month later...

Okay I am loading motor home for a quick trip to Big Sandy and i still have the Winchester BAR (please come check it out) I also have a extremely clean Marlin Rockwell (1918) that i will sell for $44K And wait theres more.......I have a 1928A1 Savage Thompson (shooter grade.....dont think barrel is original,) that can find a new home for 27K .I am looking for mid 60's Cadillac drop tops and two door hardtops.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bill,

If you had bothered send me decent pictures of your BAR and returnmy phone calls and e-mails you might have sold me your gun in December 2021.  I bought a BAR from a member of the forum about a month after you failed to respond to my inquiries. The seller responded to my inquiries AND provided quality photos of his gun immediately after initial contact. I looked at the BAR that sold at RIAC last Fall - I don't think price and quality comparisons with your gun are relevant - but then you never bothered to provide decent photos of a gun you want to sell for $50K. The RIAC BAR was a 98% original finish gun with X-serial number...

Sorry about the lack of not sending pictures (i responded to several requests)  Glad you got to see the BAR that RIA sold for $105k with fee's I do not think my gun is 98% but 55K for me is another Cadillac I also have a restored (very nice) Marlin-Rockwell 46K