Indianapolis Ordnance 1928 BFONG

Presenting the Indianapolis Ordnance BFONG.

I'll leave it to others to judge the merits of this piece. I will say it is a big bite assembly wise for someone like me who hasn't done drilling, pinning or riveting small pieces.

I will send an email to Indy Ord. I got a set of barrel plugs to 'tune' the gun. In the documentation there is also instructions for tuning via a set screw near the chamber that is marked 'tune' I think.

Also attaching the NFA letter. The Indy patent number is clearly visible in the NFA letter which has some diagrams and description of operation.

post-293230-0-33646300-1663532148_thumb.jpg

post-293230-0-84461700-1663532169_thumb.jpg

post-293230-0-49273300-1663532189_thumb.jpg

post-293230-0-73299800-1663532220_thumb.jpg

post-293230-0-88311900-1663532240_thumb.jpg

The post uploader wouldn't allow me to attach more than 5 images

AtfletterindianapolisCOMPLETE.pdf

Edited by Steelflood

Thanks for sharing these photos and PDFs with us on this kit. It is very interesting to see how the whole setup is done and even how the bolt handle is retained/indexed in the bolt and receiver when fully assembled. Is the IO M1928A1 BFONG kit in the white or is it blued and my eyes are just playing a trick on me? If it is unfinished, does it come standard without a finish, or did you specifically ask for it to stay in the white so you could finish it to your preferred finish?

The finish is blu, I emailed indy ord for advice to get the lower, sights and compensator to match. The appearance is Blu so I don't think it's sandblasted, I did ask if was sandblasted.

The white appearance in the photos is because they were rather dark. I just put the lighting adjustment on full blast to bring out the details. The knob is unfinished.

I don't have anything threaded to put in the hole on the left side opposite the ejection port, so I asked about that too.

I don't have anything threaded to put in the hole on the left side opposite the ejection port, so I asked about that too.

The hole is for the ejector. You're probably supposed to use an original GI one.

Edited by TSMGguy

I'm getting impatient enough that my currentc plan is to redo the upper and lower ignoring the finish indy put on it. It seems like looking up Bobs observations about what original finishes were like is a time saver.

I have enough parts kits to do any of the 3 major types of finishes:

Blu

Parkerized

Beat up metal pre armory refurbish condition

I'm half joking, after Bob gave valuable info I remembered the "WW2 reinactors" finish I saw decades ago at an event.

Thanks for sharing these photos and PDFs with us on this kit. It is very interesting to see how the whole setup is done and even how the bolt handle is retained/indexed in the bolt and receiver when fully assembled. Is the IO M1928A1 BFONG kit in the white or is it blued and my eyes are just playing a trick on me? If it is unfinished, does it come standard without a finish, or did you specifically ask for it to stay in the white so you could finish it to your preferred finish?

That makes sense to a point. Except that anyone can buy one and post pics on the internet.

But, not trying to derail the topic. The quality of the Indy Ord parts looks good! I have a full auto Thompson, but don't want to blank adapt a nice original Savage M1 for reenacting. This would definitely be an acceptable alternative.

The BATF letter attached is exactly how Indy Ord sent it to me. There does appear to be a redacted section that may have had information that Indy wants to keep propriety. But that doesn't stop anyone from looking up the patent where the general tamper proof design is described.

• Upvote 1