RIP Lieutenant Mike Kline, the caretaker of the St. Valentine Massacre Thompsons

This sad news from his niece Chriss Lyons. Lieutenant Mike Kline of the Berrien County Sheriff department has passed away this morning. Anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting him will be saddened by the news. A great guy who took the time to make Thompson enthusiasts happy for many years by displaying these historic guns.

Rest in peace!

Mario Gomes

www.myalcaponemuseum.com

Mike Kline 1.jpg

Mike Kline.jpg

I was sad to hear recently that Mike was in hospice care, and even more sad to hear this morning that he passed away.  I spent many fun hours and days with him at shows where we displayed the SVDM Thompsons, and I will cherish the memories of the conversations we shared.  I will never forget the time he handed me #2347 to shoot an L-drum through.

Rest in peace, my friend...

David Albert

Very sad news indeed.  I never got to fire the SVD guns, but I have a picture hanging in my toolbox here at work of myself and my father holding them at the first TCA show/shoot at Tusco many years ago.  He sent me a patch from the department he worked for as well as some other information.  Rest easy Sir.

MICHAEL KLINE OBITUARY

Michael Westbrook "Foot" Kline, 64, passed away Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2022. Foot was born on June 11, 1958, in St. Joseph, to Macille and Robert Kline.

A Celebration of Life Service will be held on Sunday, Oct. 30, at 1 p.m. at Starks & Menchinger Chapel, 2650 Niles Road, St. Joseph. Immediately following the service a continuation of his celebration of life will take place at the FOP Lodge 96. Friends may visit with the family on Saturday, Oct. 29, from 2-4 p.m. at the funeral home. Memorial contributions may be made to FOP Lodge 96-St. Joseph, 2665 Niles Road, St. Joseph, MI 49085. Those wishing to leave an online condolence may do so at www.starks-menchinger.com.

Foot was a lifelong resident of St. Joseph. He graduated from St. Joseph High School in 1977, where he lettered in three sports and continued his education by attending and graduating from Western Michigan University. His love of athletics was something that he passed on to his only daughter, Morgan "Duppa."

Following college, Foot began working for Berrien County Sheriff's Department, and would eventually rise to the rank of lieutenant. He would retire after 27 years. Through his association with Berrien County Sheriff's Department, Foot evolved into the preservation expert of Thompson machine guns, used in the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. He toured the country with them, and was also featured on the History Channel, National Geographic and other media outlets. 

For the past 24 years, you could also find Foot fishing at Point O' Rocks in Siesta Key, Fla., which was his family's home away from home. He loved the outdoors: hunting, fishing, and camping – another trait he passed along to his daughter, Duppa. One of his deepest passions was serving at the FOP Lodge 96-St. Joseph, where he spent 20 years alternating between the position of president and vice president. 

Footie is survived by his loving wife of 32 years, Pamela Dorgelo; daughter, Morgan Kline; sisters, Cindy Lyon and Nancy Pollyea; nieces, Chriss Lyon and Callie Kervel; nephews, Aaron (Darlene), Josh (Chelsea) and Seth Polleya. He was preceded in death by his parents.

Published by The Herald-Palladium on Oct. 26, 2022.

• 2 weeks later...

I too was unaware he was ill.  Many great times, common interests and 'shop talk' we shared over the years since first meeting him at Tracie's.  We talked about him visiting and teaching me Walleye fishing and in return I'd teach him Smallmouth bass fishing. Sadly we never finalized the visit. He will be missed by all who met him.   RIP Brother Mike.    

• Like 1