STEN into Stenling

Hey guys,

I just purchased a Sten tube gun which is subpar at best. Is there any sense in sending it to Andrewski to have it turned into a Stenling? Is this even possible both physically and legally? I have a sterling parts kit minus the barrel, which I’ll need to fine, that I could supply.

I already own a Sten and a Sterling and I’m trying to figure out what I wanna do with this guy.

Thoughts or comments welcome.

If you have one of each then just oil the tube up and hang onto it. It will only go up in value. Just make sure to mark it as to what it is and what it's worth just in case you meet your maker early. You don't want your heirs to trash it.

You didn't mention the Lanchester but how about having one made up.

Jeff is correct. Andrewski is no longer doing them.

John's an hour away from me in NH and I talk with him frequently.

Don Quinnel is the only smith currently doing the conversions and he prefers to use a kit with an intact shroud. He is at: 239-334-6779.

It all depends on where the serial number is on said STEN tube. If it’s on the lower part then it’s a no go. If it’s on the tube (and not in a cut/weld area) then you should be ok. 

A few years ago, ATF was cranky about STEN to Sterling conversions. Idk if they still are or not. I’ve thought bout doing the same thing but I don’t want to deal with a mess of ATF says “can’t do that” 

21 hours ago, skoda said:

If you have one of each then just oil the tube up and hang onto it. It will only go up in value. Just make sure to mark it as to what it is and what it's worth just in case you meet your maker early. You don't want your heirs to trash it.

You didn't mention the Lanchester but how about having one made up.

I never thought of doing it up as a Lanchester. That might be an option if I could find parts. That’s a shame that John is not doing those conversions anymore. I talked to him on the phone a few months ago and from what I gather that sounded like he was still in business.

The serial number is on the tube. It’s already built as a Sten MK2. It was built by a local guy near to me and registered prior to 86. ELG Edward Luther Goldberg was the manufacture. After checking the paperwork unfortunately it says Sten Mk 2.

Maker doesn't matter with the Stenlings. The entire issue with ATF was the cocking handle slot which cannot legally be altered to accept the different angle of the Sterling bolt handle. The original location of the Sten cocking handle must be used. This issue is many years old and an established Stenling protocol and there is nothing else of concern to ATF with the conversions to worry about. Anyway, ATF never sees the converted Sten receiver since it continues to use the original maker's model ID for transfer registration. 

Some Stenlings have had their model IDs altered to read Sterling, which I believe probably happened during a transfer, and I have no idea if the original registration included that change in which case the cocking handle change prohibition would not apply. 
I recall a couple conversions for sale by different vendors at KC over the years trumpeting the fact that the registration model was Sterling. This was being used as a sale's promotion but the sellers had no idea if that model ID was on the original registration of the receiver. I suspect not. But you never know. Other's might have further experience  with the evolution and history of these conversions 

FWIW

• 6 months later...

Well,Don Quinnel built me a Stenling out of a John Norrell Sten MK2.He welded up the cocking slot to Sterling specs.Did not ask him to do so thats the way it came back.Having said that the weapon was a disaster,cracked welds, unreliable, sent back 4 times,not to mention the self collapsing stock while firing!Stan Andrewski repaired the stock by welding up the tabs on the stock.Later on had John Andrewski do a complete rebuild and refinish ,Neither Stan or John had a "problem" working on my welded cocking slot stenling.Now 27,000 rnds later not a single stoppage using IMI 124 gr NATO ammo.If you want a Sterling have Don build you one then send to John for a complete rebuild.Andrewski will not build you one any more but he WILL rebuild your gun and it WILL be perfect.

On 11/5/2022 at 9:32 AM, johnsonlmg41 said:

I don't think he does them at this point.

Sell it to me, I'm always up for a project!

Correct. But, I spoke with him last week and if you catch him on a good day.... then maybe!