Latest value

GWick123

What are thoughts on the latest value of a 38/42 fluted with all the right marks? I have been on the fence with selling it and again contemplating whether I should. The site that values them based on prior sales pegs it at right around 30ish. Does that seem accurate?

Only the Best has an M38/43 listed at $30K and and a somewhat nicer M38/43 (plain barrel) at $27K

He's had them listed for quite a few months at those prices so he may be a bit high

Edited by StrangeRanger
more info

I bought a C&R M38/42 in good condition off of Gunbroker in September 2021 for $17,700 as pictured below.   

20220420_140706.thumb.jpg.7757eb59b6777c97bf631bf9210d94b7.jpg

Original receiver that is properly marked with no import markings.  Shoots well with no issues.  Nice bore.  Matching barrel and receiver but stock is not matching.  Replaced a partially rusted trigger spring.   

MG Price Guide has the average at $30 K which I think is too high.  FMV is in the low to mid $20K range. 

Edited by maxfaxdude

1 hour ago, maxfaxdude said:

I bought a C&R M38/42 in good condition off of Gunbroker in September 2021 for $17,700 as pictured below.  

...and outbid me for it.  IIRC I quit somewhere around $17 or $17.5, forget which so I pretty much agree with maxfax's judgement on price

There's a refinished one coming up at Morphy's next week.  It should test current market.

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_N__ITALIAN_WORLD_WAR_II_BERETTA_MODEL_38_42_SUBMA-LOT537552.aspx

Edited by StrangeRanger
added link

The price variances are so extreme. Guess the lack of sales doesn't help. I had posted pics earlier, but here it is again. 1968 Amnesty gun and I have the original paperwork. All numbers matching, never refinished. What looks like a crack was done by the factory. They did it to save materials - has a dove joint down the center. Has the 4UT stamp as well as a couple others. I also have the sling mount, just wasn't on in these pics. Will be interesting to see the Morphy's sale. Thanks for the responses.

Gun9.thumb.jpg.bb92c6d9dea4c467968c1edecdf4d14b.jpgGun8.thumb.jpg.cea6b0ba68085044577ec851f81da815.jpgGun7.thumb.jpg.045179ce0fdf9c38662e35cfb0b13b7f.jpggun6.thumb.jpg.8638df120dfbc2234aee46dc155d1725.jpgGun5.thumb.jpg.8166b21dc4037f2880cfbe681b9dc4ab.jpggun4.thumb.jpg.ec6fb6f33e48357ed30df3c1a2cd956b.jpgGun3.thumb.jpg.b39816b965bb983722dd1ab4f7957475.jpgGun2.thumb.jpg.4b9a0739c465c1b42308cb262ee8eb51.jpgGun1.thumb.jpg.010bad4c6165feabd7f53f230775899b.jpg

Congratulations! I’m happy someone on the boards won it…

Was bidding against you but dropped out at $17 k as that seems to be where the 38/42 is these days. Would like to know when you get the gun if the serial number is still visible on the stock? The refinished stock certainly has beautiful grain in the wood.

I agree about the wood, very nice grain.  If I can strip that wretched shiny finish without raising the grain I'll redo it in a proper boiled linseed oil (I don't want to sand it and destroy what's left of the markings)

Forgotten Weapons did 2 videos on that exact gun last month

How cool is that? You should download and save so it will be part of the gun’s history and you can use it as a tool when you (or your heirs) eventually sell the gun and let someone else be the caretaker.

I’m in agreement, that although beautiful grain, the first thing I would have done is to return it to the boiled linseed oil finish. Maybe if we are lucky it will transfer to you in time to bring it to next years TATA shoot at the Hill’s ? Would be nice to see it in person and see how it shoots.

Once again, glad one of “us” was the successful bidder.

Thanks for the info and congrats on the purchase! Looks like a nice acquisition for sure. As I mentioned above, it's seems very difficult to determine a true value. I do think my gun will be a bit north of that, but hard to tell how much; Is it $10, $10K or sell for and unlikely $54K on Morphy's (referencing the one that sold really high)? It's fluted, not refinished, matching #s and has all of the right marks (even some that I couldn't find answers to after much research). I also know the exact history  as a bring back and am not anxious to see it go (family). That said, we may be moving and who knows if it will be a state where I can't have it. Thought about listing it similar to the one at Only the Best and see what happens ... keep waffling though for so many reasons. Decisions, decisions!  Again, nice purchase and congrats.

Got Uzi's father has one that I've shot and you're right about how nice they are.  I never expected to win it for that price.  The only things I can figure are that the refinished stock turned people off or that since it was the first item on the block at 9AM it's possible that a lot of people may have missed it.  Either way, I'm not complaining, (except for the time it will take for the E4 from my dealer to me to clear but that's a whole different thread.)

It does have the sling swivel, although not in the picture but not the cleaning rod. I haven't seen any with the cleaning rod listed or shown in pics, so don't know if that would really have any material effect on the price, however, you may certainly be correct. It's certainly not perfect, it's a war relic from the 40's, but it is the right model with the right markings (from what I understand). I also have no illusions that I'll get over $50k, if so, I would bury my hesitation and sell immediately. I have been thinking about it for quite a while and watching the prices. The catalyst may be a potential move coming up in the next year. Thanks for the feedback.

On 11/16/2022 at 8:14 AM, StrangeRanger said:

I just won the 38/42 at Morphy's for $17K hammer. 😁

With 20% premium and 6.75% OH tax that's $21, 777 plus shipping so that probably indicates the current market

To bring bigger money it would have had to have original finish on both the gun and barrel, and most importantly the fluted barrel.    Still a decent value in that condition IMO.

.....oh, no magazine....a $29 deduct there.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

A much nicer Beretta than the one I won 2 auctions ago for a $17K hammer went at the most recent Morphy's for a $12K hammer.  Go figure.

Unless there's provenance that proves this is the gun that shot Mussolini I would say that Ruben is smokin' something other than tobacco

• 1 month later...

And it's a Beretta 38/42 with a 38/44 bolt assembly.  Not a bad thing, /44 bolts work just fine in a /42 but it's not original.

I think MWT is basing their price on Ruben and OTB rather than the realized prices at RIA and Morphy's

• 1 month later...

I did a little research on MAB 38/42 prices.  I pulled everything I could find for the last couple of years. The auction house prices include premium but not shipping or taxes

RIA: $57.5K realized nothing special here no clue why it went for this
Ruben: $35K asking
MWT: $30K asking ($27.5 in email list)
OTB: $30K asking, sales price unknown but OTB is not known to negotiate
OTB: $27K asking, sales price unknown but OTB is not known to negotiate
Morphy: $25.2K realized Waffenamt marked
Morphy: $20.4K realized refinished stock (the one that I bought)
Morphy: $15.6K realized really nice (sold in the next auction after mine)
Morphy: $14.4K realized fairly rough condition

If you can figure market price from this list you're smarter than I am

Edited by StrangeRanger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another real world data point:

The 38/42 on the block at Morphy's today hammered at $19K, $23,370 realized with the premium but without tax or S&H.  It hadn't been refinished and there was more than a little patina and it had the fluted barrel

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=573477