Morphy's auction Nov 2022

I'm thinking that the results of this auction might provide a sign as to whether or not the U.S. economy is entering into a true recession and the potential for the depth of such a recession.

And there's an old riddle: What's the difference between a recession and a depression?

Ans.:  A recession is when your neighbor is laid off, and a depression is when you're laid off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, giantpanda4 said:

Are you sure? I got fooled too, but I think they are consecutive lot numbers!

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_N__EXTRAORDINARY_PAIR_OF_VERY_LOW_CONSECUTIVE_SER-LOT551287.aspx

These two have been around for sale for a few years.  Maybe this time they'll find a new home.

A few of us have discussed this in the past, please make note of the location where the trigger frame is marked "Semi-Automatic" on the two firearms, and compare.

#134 is typical of what is seen on early Colt's.  #135's marking is further forward, which is typical of those observed starting above numbers 250ish and higher.

Not insinuating anything, just an observation that we discovered a few years ago while examining and discussing the very early numbers.

There are exceptions to everything, and a good learning point for new and seasoned collectors.

Reference page 170 of "An Amateur's Guide for the Colt's Thompson Submachine Gun"

MK1.jpg

MK2.jpg

Edited by Colt Chopper
  • Upvote 1

Excellent information by Colt Chopper on NO 134 and NO 135 being offered as a pair at the upcoming Morphy auction. You really need to be a knowledgeable buyer to enter the Thompson marketplace.  Originality is one of the most important aspects of any Thompson gun; very good to excellent condition is another. Provenance is also very important. When you have all three, the value will usually be at the top of the market. Among other things, NO 135 does not have the original barrel. And has been refinished. All the provenance in the world will not correct those deficiencies. My advice in my Amateur's Guide book is simple: understand the products you may be bidding on.

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:39 AM, Merry Ploughboy said:

I'm thinking that the results of this auction might provide a sign as to whether or not the U.S. economy is entering into a true recession and the potential for the depth of such a recession.

And there's an old riddle: What's the difference between a recession and a depression?

Ans.:  A recession is when your neighbor is laid off, and a depression is when you're laid off.

Other than someone paying way too much for a WH 1928, many of the auctions came in under the low estimate range.

The price for L drum #744 is beyond my understanding.  My best guess is that someone has gun #744, and wants that drum to match, so they were willing to pay whatever they needed to get it.  The other numbered drums in the same auction went for prices more in line with what most feel is market.