Index of Thompson Receiver Markings for my Engraver

I just started working with an engraver to mark Thompson receivers. Does anyone know of a resource that has Thompson receiver stampss in black in white or a vector graphic? I need 1928A1 and M1 and M1A1. Savage or AO isn't that important even though I'd like to have a file of all stamps. Searching the net I found a very good picture of the bullet logo on our very own machine gun boards. smallarmsreviews has information but the website seems to have malfunctioned.

I'll still submit the best pictures I can of how the stamp looks on an actual receiver so the engraver can try to reproduce the look. I'd just like to have a sharp black and white representation for what is going to be mapped into the machine.

I'm hoping to get the markings right the first time, any advice is appreciated.  I'm not doing the work so I only have so much control of the process.

Jay

2 hours ago, bob241 said:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/948883386

Not mine, could you just purchase this receiver, would give you perfect markings for a 1928A1 receiver, and the price is right, you could also resale it in the future.

I do saved searches and all that...but I feel like I'm running around with a bag on my head sometimes when a receiver like this pops up....I don't seem to be the one that spots it.  I did buy the receiver...at first I thought you gave me false hope because it was an auction.  But the buy in now price was like you said, very good.

I wish I had a wand that put my humpty dumpty receivers into the condition of the one on gunbroker. I might go see if I have an M1A1 receiver fragment that has the complete roll.

Please correct me, but I could send my receiver fragment to the engraver that way when my aluminum piece comes off the machine it can be held side by side with the rolling. I just don't feel like an image gives the same ability to compare as a side by side with the real piece.

I went to the NRA museum site for reference. I would like to submit this to the 'roughest Thompson in a museum' contest.

We talk about the guns that will last forever at gun ranges. Here's one that seems to have lived a full life and it's time to rest.....

1928aThompsonBridgeportTopBulletSN169897RollMark.thumb.jpg.6398839075845f3cef870700864d51ca.jpg

01860_d1.thumb.jpeg.9cf9d356e6b8991c3e6e180680110735.jpeg

01860_r.thumb.jpeg.0256da8caf71077141c276cd3d27327b.jpeg

01860_a.thumb.jpeg.6ff8b08237645466b81aab540db37fe8.jpeg

1928aThompsonBridgeportSN169867RightSideRollMark.thumb.jpg.1236a12160e05793893c4c8f740de525.jpg

5 hours ago, Got Uzi said:

Any of the Thompson books have pictures of these markings:

American Thunder 1, 2, 3

Ultimate Thompson 

Colt Collectors Guide

As well as many others, but I doubt I know what I’m talking about. 

Well, heck, let me go get my copy of American Thunder 3.  Oh, I remember now. I am looking for electronic vector graphic type files with the roll data, not something in a book. But thanks for the references. I'm getting good information and it's all good.

Steelflood,

While I have not checked in several years, I feel certain Kahr Arms has an active trademark registration for the word, THOMPSON, including its use with the well-known Thompson bullet logo. I would be very careful using this mark. You may see this mark used by Tracie Hill and The American Thompson Association. The mark is used with permission of Kahr Arms.

In addition, the Thompson signature bullet logo on the Savage manufactured guns is different from the Thompson signature bullet logo on the Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport (AOB) guns. I discuss and show the differences in, A Thompson Compendium.

29 minutes ago, TD. said:

Steelflood,

While I have not checked in several years, I feel certain Kahr Arms has an active trademark registration for the word, THOMPSON, including its use with the well-known Thompson bullet logo. I would be very careful using this mark. You may see this mark used by Tracie Hill and The American Thompson Association. The mark is used with permission of Kahr Arms.

In addition, the Thompson signature bullet logo on the Savage manufactured guns is different from the Thompson signature bullet logo on the Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport (AOB) guns. I discuss and show the differences in, A Thompson Compendium.

OK, I have images of the IMA receiver, and I have an Indy Ord and will have two Phila Ord soon to look at as examples of not using the trademark.

My main aim is that if someone like you was holding the piece you'd think it looked pretty OK. I see that this 1928 has Tommy Gun engraved on it. I haven't checked my torched 1928.

1928aThompsonBridgeportTopBulletSN169897RollMark.thumb.jpg.6e492858a699ae305b3f811799449c70.jpg

On a funny note, I need a large new bookshelf to add more references I have two pretty big ones so far. I pick the stuff for the shop and my wife gets to pick the bookshelf....I'm saying I'll put your book on my list and thank you,

Jay

48 minutes ago, Varminter said:

Are you engraving plastic parts?

Ahhh, you can engrave plastic parts, but I will find out from my engraver....he is using a laser device. It's an old old memory that laser, being light, didn't work with let's say black?  But a CNC engraver can certainly engrave.  The parts I have been getting have been largely for spec purposes.  However, the Two Cutts I spec'd are perfect for the cheap material I used...they are pretty solid. I am going to ask my laser engraver if he can engrave a rounded  edge.....like on the Cutts. I mentioned I was doing spec prints because I am checking dimensionality on models I didn't make. So far the dimensionality has been good.

I haven't seen how fine the writing can be printed in a part vs. how much it costs for that fine level of detail. That's why I mentioned spec. You can do most things with 3d printers and their cousin, subtractive printing, but the materials get expensive.

I am setting up to offer 3d services to machine shops and gun smiths where the person chooses the level of finish the part arrives in. I just haven't advertised it because I'm setting up my shop which will have real parts to compare the printed ones to, or to send out for a CAD artist to create the 3d part.

What did you want to engrave?

1 hour ago, TD. said:

Steelflood,

Is there a successor to the American Thompson Association? I'm a lifetime member of NRA but not a specific Thompson association. I have been just watching out for shoots that are within reach of me.

There are two Thompson associations:

The Thompson Collector's Association or TCA

The American Thompson Association or TATA

Both organizations are based in Ohio and have a private Show and Shoot (S&S) each year for members only. These events are not open to the public. You cannot just show up.

The TCA S&S is usually in late April or early May and is around the New Philadelphia, Ohio area.

The TATA S&S is usually around the first weekend in August and is held in the Columbus, Ohio area.

There is a forum on the Board with more information:

https://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?/forum/57-thompson-collector-groups-information-and-reference/

It may be a little out of date. Search the Thompson forum for the threads for the recent 2022 events for more information .

If you like Thompson guns, the S&S are the place to be.

I believe dues are $40 a year for both organizations and include 4 quarterly newsletters.