Well, it's been about a year now since the original post, and things are getting a bit slow on this Forum, so I thought I'd revive the "ol Transport Box" topic.

I have to tell you guys that this is one of the best accessories I have had the pleasure to purchase. As it turns out, Reidar Daae (BergFlak) completed his research into these mysterious transport boxes and now has firm documentation as to how there were used in WW2. The boxes were used to store MP38's and MP40's in special use vans (like Luftwaffe mobile communications vans). The boxes were designed to be mounted vertically on the wall of the van, thus explaining why the magazine retention strips were placed as they are, to prevent the mags from falling out when opening the box. Same for the trigger/loader swivel bar. Here is a pic of the now completed and filled box. when mounted the barrel of the gun would face down. The reproduction box I bought is of excellent quality and matches the original design almost perfectly. 

http://www.wwiiboxes.co.uk/mysite2/images/Martin-pic.jpg

And then of course, is the "way too cool" factor when you walk in the gun store or range and everyone wants to peek inside. 

The closed box in the lower middle contains a small buffer spring, a firing pin, an extractor and a sear. All per the original load TOE. I've spent time making sure that the WaffenMarks of all the replacement parts and magazines match the gun. In the frame on the lid, the correct fill is a list of box contents, I have not yet recreated that. Instead, I've inserted an original Die Maschinenpistolen war publication which details care and maintenance of the most commonly used German SMG's used at that time.

MP38u40 Transport Box.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you find the publication paper for the German sub guns? I seem to recall seeing these but thy were priced I. The 2 to 300 dollar range 

You are correct about the pricing.... if you can find the publication. In this case I got lucky and found the exact one that details the MP18, MP28, MP35, MP38 & MP40. It's dated 1943 and when unfolded, is six or seven pages, both sides on heavy stock almost cardboard. I lucked into this purchase (it was only $45!) on a European auction site (I'll try to remember which one) and made an offer which the buyer accepted. There were several variations of this type of publication, others covered MG38/42, Mauser etc. and some even covered mines and stuff like that. I just happened to see this was specific to the SMG's so I jumped on it. 

On 11/17/2022 at 8:40 AM, TSMGguy said:

There's another small period booklet that would work very well.

s-l500.jpg

Agree.... I'm trying to find original publications, is that a reprint?

That's a reprint I think, reprints are widely available even though, the original was not a publication for the military. I think a better item to install on the inside cover would be a parts breakdown of the gun itself and not just a photograph of the inside of the case with all accoutrement's.  

Edited by Mike Hammer

If original, its in nice minty condition. The reprints look pretty much the same. But these are too large to fit into the frame of the box lid otherwise I would consider putting one in mine.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Mad Machinist said:

Oh hell........something else I need......errrrr want :D

Get one while they are still being made.  A real conversation starter! I keep a printed copy of Reidar Daae's research on the box, to include the German technical manual where it shows the box in a Luftwaffe van.  

On 11/28/2022 at 9:04 AM, Rekraps said:

Get one while they are still being made.  A real conversation starter! I keep a printed copy of Reidar Daae's research on the box, to include the German technical manual where it shows the box in a Luftwaffe van.  

You know me.....LOL...I'm more about shooters than being historically correct......I'll probably build something similiar more to my purpose.......but that is an awesome set you have there... :D

Edited by Mad Machinist

I love it! The box orientation (go to Bergflak's website to see pics) is standing on its side, barrel downward. So your magazines should face the other way, opening to the right. That way, when you mount the box in your Tahoe the bullet side of the mags won't press against the wood sides! :) 

I really like the leather lid "stop" strap on the right. I'm gonna fine me one as mine does not have it.

• 5 months later...

I'm still discussing with Mr. Lake the purchase of one of his boxes and may order one, but I found the dimensions of the original box and decided that i'm going to build one of my onw.  It won't be fancy, and I will probably modify it to some degree, but I have plenty of scrap lumber laying around and a  perfectly good table saw needing some exercise, plus Lowe's has the piano hinge and most of the other hardware.  Also, Krautgear has hardware I might order.  They used to make the MP40 box too it seems but there's no listing right now.  Since they are in the US it would be nice if they did.   

22 minutes ago, BillinBama said:

I'm still discussing with Mr. Lake the purchase of one of his boxes and may order one, but I found the dimensions of the original box and decided that i'm going to build one of my onw.  It won't be fancy, and I will probably modify it to some degree, but I have plenty of scrap lumber laying around and a  perfectly good table saw needing some exercise, plus Lowe's has the piano hinge and most of the other hardware.  Also, Krautgear has hardware I might order.  They used to make the MP40 box too it seems but there's no listing right now.  Since they are in the US it would be nice if they did.   

A domestic source would be really nice. Who knows, you might have a nice extra source of income. IMO, the transport boxes are almost mandatory as part of the entire rig if you are collecting. If you just shoot, then forget it. But for me, i collect all the stuff and just love the presentation and story. Take your time and make it well.

Prototype first,  I always learn more by building one than from planning, because some things can't be visualized. 

I just found a website with tons of German militaria,  US, British and others as well.  Epic Militaria in GB, ordered an MP40 manual(repro) and an eagle stencil. I was going to get some Luftwaffe grey-blue paint but apparently they can't ship it internationally. 

21 hours ago, BillinBama said:

I just found a website with tons of German militaria,  US, British and others as well.  Epic Militaria in GB, ordered an MP40 manual(repro) and an eagle stencil. I was going to get some Luftwaffe grey-blue paint but apparently they can't ship it internationally. 

Heaven forbid a can of Luftwaffe grey-blue crosses international borders. 

Jesus.

42 minutes ago, Rekraps said:

Heaven forbid a can of Luftwaffe grey-blue crosses international borders. 

Jesus.

This has much more to do with shipping restrictions for liquids and flammables than the color.

I just came across a guy who used to build a version of the transit box, a bit simpler than the original.  He is on facebook as WW2 Crates, and says he might consider building a few more. He quoted me $350 but that might have to increase a little,  and that doesn't include shipping. I have pictures but can't get them to upload. 

19 hours ago, RoscoeTurner said:

This has much more to do with shipping restrictions for liquids and flammables than the color.

They could use latex based paint.  Sounds silly to me.