Colt 2888 Navy Gun

Just got in this Colt 28 Navy Gun. Looks to be all correct to me but I thought I would run it by you RKI's. This came through Ron's books some time ago so maybe he has some input. Interesting markings on the receiver where the barrel screws into the upper receiver and also on the lower receiver just above the automatic / semi selector. I am sure these are British armorer's markings but they are the only armorer's markings that I can find on the weapon. Came out of a Sheriff's Department in Wilmington, NC., circa 1934. If so, why does it have British armorer's markings? Your 2 cents will be appreciated. Pics attached.

221113-1a.JPG

221113-1b.JPG

221113-1c.JPG

221113-1d.JPG

221113-1e.JPG

221113-1f.JPG

221113-1g.JPG

221113-1h.JPG

221113-1i.JPG

221113-1j.JPG

221113-1k.JPG

221113-1l.JPG

221113-1m.JPG

221113-1n.JPG

Edited by firearm

The finish on the buttstock looks bad and to me looks like someone used some sort of varnish on it. Is the lower pitted where it says "Automatic" near the Selector Switch or is it just dirt? I cannot tell from the pictures. Overall, a very nice example.

Nick,

NO 2888 is an excellent example of a early Colt that was converted to the U.S. NAVY model by Auto-Ordnance (AOC). I really like the condition, 2-piece 1928 actuator and Type 1 compensator. The butt stock appears to have some very nice grain. A good cleaning and a fresh coat of boiled linseed oil would make it look as new. If mine, I would send the butt stock to gijive; he is a magician with Colt wood!

The British markings are from the Birmingham Proof House in England. These proof markings on NO 2888 are in the same places as found on other Colt's. There is no doubt this Colt, along with others, was shipped to Great Britain prior to the NFA Act of 1934.  I would guess NO 2888 was provided to the British Ministry of Defense for testing purposes. Part of the import or export process involved the Birmingham Proof House. Guns and equipment provided to governments for testing does not usually become the property of the government doing the testing and is usually returned after the testing is completed. I would also guess a report on the results of the test were provided to Auto-Ordnance. It is possible NO 2888 was first sent to Great Britain as a Model of 1921A for testing and later returned in the NAVY configuration. Again, all guesses on my part but I know AOC really pursued Great Britain as a potential customer.

I am currently away from home and do not have access to my list of Colt's with British markings. I was told by a former owner that he purchased NO 2888 from well known Class 3 dealer Irv Kahn many years ago. He also told me about the British proof markings but I did not have any pictures until now (thanks Nick). 

Irv Kahn's Price list of December, 1984:
Colt 1928 Navy 2888 Excellent $2,795 - with early markings

Be sure and loosen that front butt stock slide assembly screw just a bit.

Thank you for sharing!

Interesting that you asked that. The alignment mark is absolutely perfect. On the other hand, something made me do a double take when I was shooting up pics. Seems like maybe the fins were a little "square" if that makes sense. Compensator retaining pin is perfect. Doesn't look like it has ever been touched to me. What made you ask?

firearm,

The barrel looks fine to me.  There were several variations of the barrels made by different craftsmen during the Colt Thompson production.  They are all not exactly the same.  If the compensator pin hasn't been messed with, it is an original barrel.

• Like 1

That buttstock wood has the most beautiful grain I have ever seen on a 1921/8 Colt's gun! Wow!

I was wondering too about the square-ness of the fins on the barrel, but as GIJive said - probably original. 

Very nice gun!

On 11/23/2022 at 9:58 PM, firearm said:

Interesting that you asked that. The alignment mark is absolutely perfect. On the other hand, something made me do a double take when I was shooting up pics. Seems like maybe the fins were a little "square" if that makes sense. Compensator retaining pin is perfect. Doesn't look like it has ever been touched to me. What made you ask?

Hi Nick,

Like you, it was the squared-off fins that caught my attention, but I will certainly defer to gijve's assessment.

David

Back online.. Just for the members here every thompson i ever sold went out as all original. And only one fully restored #894 to Hal Spiro WHO is deceased since i think 2003. i have no idea what happens to them after like 103, 98 274 8780 1310 5290 5294 and well over a 100 plus. and seeing and handling many many hundreds around the country and other places. And #2888 is as pure as it can be. Actuator, Parts and finish. I know of one rebarrel job.and that was told to the buyer.probably sold 30 years ago.

My good buddies Gordon and Richard ARE both gone. and a 30 year love with the stuff they had. i always had back-up for some of the lame issues that came up  From them..Nick is one of the good guys also. and a few others i have met over the decades.

Appreciate Davids work here to keep it all going. And am glad i was allowed to be around.And have always helped when i could.

.COLT 21 A 

RON K.