Colt 21A 4778

Another Colt 21 in the door. This one is #4778. A really nice 21A but it looks to me that the wood may have been lightly sanded. Although the butt stock is original, the butt plate is not. Everything else looks to be correct to me. The receiver is marked "APD 431" which was the property marking for the Anniston Alabama Police Department to whom the weapon was sold to in 1927 by Moore Handley Hardware Company, Birmingham, Alabama. Pics attached for you RKI's to take apart. Your 2 cents will be appreciated.

221113-2a.JPG

221113-2b.JPG

221113-2c.JPG

221113-2d.JPG

221113-2e.JPG

221113-2f.JPG

221113-2g.JPG

221113-2h.JPG

221113-2i.JPG

221113-2j.JPG

221113-2k.JPG

221113-2l.JPG

221113-2m.JPG

221113-2n.JPG

• Upvote 1

I can tell that the wood has been sanded and well it is not as bad as mine was. Mine was so bad you can see the very top of slide stock assembly appear and no presence of wood only see the slide stock assembly. Did not look so good, but yours is way better than mine. 

Slide Stock Assembly - Left Side View.JPG

Slide Stock Assembly - Right Side View.JPG

Nick,

I agree with the light sanding of the fore grip and butt stock. The anchor mark is somewhat visible, not great but better than completely missing. The fore grip has not been ruined but looks like a replacement. The grip looks fine. I would guess the original butt plate was in poor condition and someone thought butt plates were a easy fit bolt on item. Not true, even if it was a replacement Colt butt plate.

Would you please remove the butt plate so we can see what is going on with the butt stock and the inside of the butt plate.

The barrel appears to have 30 fins. Yes, the last fin is a little more subjective than objective but based on the right side picture, I believe I see a faint 30th fin (and I like that).

What bothers me is the condition of the finish. I would expect to see some wear on the actuator slot. Also, the APD 431 stamping does not show bear metal. There is some wear and scratches on the receiver and frame but the bluing looks too good. Same with the serial number area on the frame and complete barrel. I wonder if it may be an older re-blue that now shows some wear and patina. This would also explain what appears to be a new butt plate. Just thinking, if the old butt plate was in poor condition....

Low resolution pictures are not the best for judging finish. You have it in-hand and have owned a large number of Colt's, what do you think?

Thank you for sharing!

Happy Thanksgiving

Possible reblue theory is also backed up by the actuator looking blued... maybe just dirty though.

• Like 1

The pics probably are not the best but I am sure it is not a re-blue. There is enough patina on the grip where it meets the web of your hand and the PD markings are to the the metal. They just don't show up in the jpegs. I have been through enough 21's to be confident it is not a re-blue. If it is, it is the best one that I have every seen. And yes. It is very dirty.

21 hours ago, TD. said:

Nick,

I agree with the light sanding of the fore grip and butt stock. The anchor mark is somewhat visible, not great but better than completely missing. The fore grip has not been ruined but looks like a replacement. The grip looks fine. I would guess the original butt plate was in poor condition and someone thought butt plates were a easy fit bolt on item. Not true, even if it was a replacement Colt butt plate.

Would you please remove the butt plate so we can see what is going on with the butt stock and the inside of the butt plate.

The barrel appears to have 30 fins. Yes, the last fin is a little more subjective than objective but based on the right side picture, I believe I see a faint 30th fin (and I like that).

What bothers me is the condition of the finish. I would expect to see some wear on the actuator slot. Also, the APD 431 stamping does not show bear metal. There is some wear and scratches on the receiver and frame but the bluing looks too good. Same with the serial number area on the frame and complete barrel. I wonder if it may be an older re-blue that now shows some wear and patina. This would also explain what appears to be a new butt plate. Just thinking, if the old butt plate was in poor condition....

Low resolution pictures are not the best for judging finish. You have it in-hand and have owned a large number of Colt's, what do you think?

Thank you for sharing!

Happy Thanksgiving

Pics attached. Stock number is 1017. Butt plate is 4202.

P1011985.JPG

P1011986.JPG

Edited by firearm