PPSH-41(r) conversion

Does anyone have one of the adapters for sale .....or even just loan for inspection and drawing. I want to make these for sale through Macon Armory, I can design and make a functional one....., but I'd like to make it as authentic as possible to the original. Would like to make 3 versions....one for MP40 mags, one for Vigneron mags and one for Sten :D

Probably doable but not with a relatively authentic mag adapter, as the Soumi is a double stack double feed mag., and honestly. sten mags get a pretty bad rap.....I have no issues with them when properly cleaned and tuned. The impetus for this project is I have a couple of PPSH41's to build and one is gonna have a 9mm conversion and use mags form my MP40 and MP41. Also bulding an M49/57 that will be 9mm and will convert a couple of drums for it.....but I'd like the stick adapter as well.

Also with Soumi mags it is more of a permanent mod to the mag or the gun because of the way the mag is retained. MP40, Vigneron, and Sten are all retained form the side. Plud I don't want to mess with my Soumi mags as I have 2 Swedish K's and about 5 Soumi's to build :D

Edited by Mad Machinist

years ago i got a couple of the mag adapters for the ppsh-41 to use the mp-40 mags from IMI , they look great and worked perfectly, price was under 100.00, possibly made in india,, these still show up,, i think you will spend a lot more to make these today, but good luck,,just sayn

2 hours ago, BillyDixon said:

years ago i got a couple of the mag adapters for the ppsh-41 to use the mp-40 mags from IMI , they look great and worked perfectly, price was under 100.00, possibly made in india,, these still show up,, i think you will spend a lot more to make these today, but good luck,,just sayn

If you still have one you will  loan or sell......call me at the shop 478 474-2990. If I make in quantity with laser cut parts that require minimal finish machning I can  make them quite economically :D Just want to inspect at least one original before I decide how I'll make them. If anyone sees one for sale shoot me a link and if original german MFG and not over $300 to $400 buy it....LOL and I'll send you cash

Edited by Mad Machinist

Here are pics of three that I have. The one in the middle is original and the two others are repro I believe. The one on the left came out of Europe years ago and the one on the right is definitely repro from Royal Tiger or whatever it was before that. The one on the left needed fitting to the gun with a file. No big deal just a couple hours slowly getting it to fit without making it loose. Works great with original German mags

would you consider allowing a 48 hour onsite inspection of the original.....I'll provide a shipping lable (Fed Ex Ground insured) to me and cover return insured shipping as well. If you'd consider selling, I'd be interested as well. I want to see how they made the mag catch and installed. I can find everythig I need with just a visual inspection. But I'd really like to have one for my library of unusual stuff :D

Edited by Mad Machinist

Hello, 

I do not want to send my original for fear of it getting lost and I am not interested in selling it. The reproduction made by Interordnance years ago is done is actually very close and was modeled off my friends gun at the time which the company inspected and took notes on a knob creek years back. They pop up for sale on gunbroker and ebay

Thanks for the info.......the search continues......If you could post or email me a few pictures of the inside.....I'm trying to determine the size ant type of spring used and how it is captured....Thanks in advance if you can :D

From looking at the great pictures you supplied it appears the button/shaft is pretty slim and it just has a small spring....can you see any sign of a retaining pin.....????

Edited by Mad Machinist

On 12/4/2022 at 7:38 PM, BillyDixon said:

Check your PM's......got your package today......got all the measurements i needed and clues to how it was assembled. On the way back by Priority Mail Insured.

Rudy

I see you got one to look at that is great. Looks to me like the pin is tapered inside and the spring is internal and on the other side the mag catch is pressed in place and that holds it all together 

8 hours ago, Roland the Thompsongunner said:

I see you got one to look at that is great. Looks to me like the pin is tapered inside and the spring is internal and on the other side the mag catch is pressed in place and that holds it all together 

The button is definitely a reduced diameter internal......that retains the spring....can't tell if threaded with a cap or just pressed together but the way the body is welded together I'm betting one or the other as any other way would have resulted in the spring being annealed during assembly. As replicas exist, no need to do it again after seeing one.....I'm looking more at functional new designs that use available magazines to improve life for builders and for registered owners that want to drop in a 9mm barrel and run reliably.

Edited by Mad Machinist

You could come up with different ways to make the adapter easier to produce. I saw one years back someone made that used sten mags. I have a mag that someone welded the top of a russian mag to a 9mm mag. I have a 50 round coffin Suomi mag modified for my gun also

14 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

Those are the ones Uli and Oli (interordnance) used to sell at the creek along with the barrel.  I forgot how much it was, but I do recall I spent as much or more for MP40 mags at $50 each, than the conversion kit.  Another one of those things I've never used, but I'm pretty sure does work.  They were not an easy sell at the time since 7.62x25 was cheaper than 9mm.  I guess that's beck a while when they had piles of MG42 .308 barrels for $50 when no one wanted them, and MG34 and 42 bolts for 50 also.  When 8mm was .08 and .308 was .20.  Glad I bought what I did.

• 6 months later...

Hello to this great forum. I would like to share with you some interesting photos of the original M.P. 41(r) or perhaps M.P. 717(r)? The German document with the designation of this type is somewhat confusing. The relic in the photos comes from a war find, which contained a total of 20 pieces of MP 41r including original drum magazine conversions - some of them in unfinished condition. Among those 20 pieces of converted MP 41r were almost all production versions of Soviet PPSh from 41 with tangential sight to models 44 with frame with ears. All conversions were marked "D", had the original Soviet S/N defaced and the new S/N stamped in a much larger number font. Unfortunately, not a single adapter for the MP 40 magazine was present, but the conversion of the original drum magazines brings new light to the knowledge...

20230620_172435.jpg

20230620_172455.jpg

20230620_172522.jpg

20230620_172609.jpg

20230620_172630.jpg

20230620_172642.jpg

20230620_172655.jpg

20230620_172720.jpg

20230620_172750.jpg

20230620_172827.jpg

20230620_172852.jpg

20230620_172903.jpg

20230620_172918.jpg

20230620_173023.jpg

20230620_173036.jpg

20230620_173055.jpg

20230620_173122.jpg

20230620_173248.jpg

20230620_173437.jpg

20230620_173508.jpg

20230620_173558.jpg

20230620_173730.jpg

20230620_173913.jpg

And here's one interesting thing......both pieces, despite their different fates, are separated by only a few numbers from the production line. Same number die font...

Above originally  No.367 NKV (Zagorsk /Vyatskie Polyany)   

Down originally "Iskra" factory of the Moscow city council 

20230619_181857.jpg

Those pictures are great and I had no idea that drum magazines were modified to make them more reliable. Longer feed lips and inside spacer. Thanks for sharing I think I’m going to have to make a modified drum at some point. Good winter project!