John T Thompson’s autograph

Recently Richard Garcia of Tommygun Collectables ran his auction for Colt era Thompson items.

One of the items was a document that was signed by Mr Thompson. I won the item, and had it framed. I thought it came out pretty nice.

Mark

1BC667CC-BB5C-486F-9ED4-81724FF54D27.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words guys.

TD, you might get a kick out of this. This document is an application for Mr Thompson to join the Society of Colonial Wars. In this document, Mr Thompson is using a relative of his named James Thompson, who served in His Majesty's Service from December 25, 1724 to April 24th, 1725. In other words, a Redcoat.
Mark

Edited by Rabbit57
correct spelling error

58 minutes ago, Rabbit57 said:

Thanks for the kind words guys.

TD, you might get a kick out of this. This document is an application for Mr Thompson to join the Society of Colonial Wars. In this document, Mr Thompson is using a relative of his named James Thompson, who served in His Majesty's Service from December 25, 1724 to April 24th, 1725. In other words, a red coat.
Mark

Last night, I was reading the book, '1000 years of annoying the French' and in it I learned that your first President George Washington actually served as an officer in the British Army, not sure if he wore a red coat, in Virginia. During his service, he was chosen to lead a vital mission against the French...hence the story is included in the book.

On 12/23/2022 at 8:49 AM, Rabbit57 said:

Recently Richard Garcia of Tommygun Collectables ran his auction for Colt era Thompson items.

One of the items was a document that was signed by Mr Thompson. I won the item, and had it framed. I thought it came out pretty nice.

Mark

1BC667CC-BB5C-486F-9ED4-81724FF54D27.jpeg

That is too cool.  I love accessories that complete a rig! I wish Bergmann was alive!

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the item I won on Richards last auction, mail to the UK is slow at the moment probably due to strikes we are suffering, but worth waiting for.

It is in remarkable condition for a magazine which is almost 100 years old with an interesting article on the Thompson Model 1923. On the rear page there is also an interesting 'advert' for the AOC Auto Rifle and Light Machine Rifle.

Really pleased with this addition for my collection.

This will compliment the Army Ordnance magazine from Nov-Dec 1920 that I won in an eBay auction back in 2013. That magazine features the M1919 Thompson gun in article, and it also has an advert with the Fifth Avenue address, which proves it pre dates the other AO advertisements with the Broadway Street address. possibly one of the first adverts for the 1921?

Army Ordnance 1923.jpegArmy Ordnance M1923 Article.jpegArmy Ordnance AOC Auto Rifle ad.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 9:09 AM, rpbcps said:

Last night, I was reading the book, '1000 years of annoying the French' and in it I learned that your first President George Washington actually served as an officer in the British Army, not sure if he wore a red coat, in Virginia. During his service, he was chosen to lead a vital mission against the French...hence the story is included in the book.

He was also 6 foot 4, same hight as myself.  That was huge back in the 1700's.  I am always amazed how he survived the war sitting tall on his horse.  Amazing man.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 10:57 PM, Taliaferro said:

Volume two should be out by year's end. Volume 3 is currently being built, but it will

be some time yet.

I am working as fast as I can it just is more complicated that most think.

Glad you like the first one. Still awaiting my main order of books. so if you have an order in with

me please be patient.

Tracie

On 1/6/2023 at 9:37 PM, rpbcps said:

Just received the item I won on Richards last auction, mail to the UK is slow at the moment probably due to strikes we are suffering, but worth waiting for.

It is in remarkable condition for a magazine which is almost 100 years old with an interesting article on the Thompson Model 1923. On the rear page there is also an interesting 'advert' for the AOC Auto Rifle and Light Machine Rifle.

Really pleased with this addition for my collection.

This will compliment the Army Ordnance magazine from Nov-Dec 1920 that I won in an eBay auction back in 2013. That magazine features the M1919 Thompson gun in article, and it also has an advert with the Fifth Avenue address, which proves it pre dates the other AO advertisements with the Broadway Street address. possibly one of the first adverts for the 1921?

Army Ordnance 1923.jpegArmy Ordnance M1923 Article.jpegArmy Ordnance AOC Auto Rifle ad.jpeg

Richard thanks again for your post. I consider this catalog to be a discovery in the history of the Model 1923! Your catalog was printed in May-June 1923 and in it the Military Model is listed as "Thompson Submachine Gun, Model 1923" from where the legs grow with the formal designation of this rare experimental Model (Configuration). In various sources of literature, respected authors have always emphasized that the Military Model never officially had the designation M1923, now we see what it did.

Here are some other early mentions of M1923 from other sources:

1. An early AOC catalog dated February 27, 1922, was a drawing of a mysterious prototype with  Bipod called it "Model F 1922." (1922)
2. "Thompson Guns Models 1921-1923" AOC Catalog - listed as "Military Model" and shortened version as "Model Short Barrel". (1923)
3. Rare Price list AOC 1923, which also lists these two groups, such as "Thompson Gun with Bipod" and "Thompson Gun Short Barrel Type". (1923)
4. In the German Archives there are references to tests by the Reichswehr in the summer of 1924 of the Thompson SMG, Thompson Automatic Rifle and Thompson Military SMG chambered in .45 Special. (1924)
5. Price List of 1920s Pacific Arms Arms two models are designated as "Long Military Model", standard SMG is listed as "Short Model". (1920s)
6. In the book of the Russian gunsmith Vladimir Fedorov (the creator of the Avtomat 1916 ) "The Evolution of Small Arms" there is a drawing of a TSMG with a bipod, where it is simply listed as a Thompson submachine gun. (1939)
7. Another Soviet book "The material part of small arms" from A.A. Blagonravov, the military model is listed as "Thompson mod. 1923". (1945)

Edited by allweaponsww2
  • Like 1

Victor, You have done your homework!

The Army Ordnance is not a catalog, but a magazine with articles and adverts. However you are correct it is there for all to see AOC are calling this the 'Thompson Gun, Model 1923'.

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing Marks original post in this topic, I recalled many years ago, back in 2018, I bought three postcards with John J Thompsons handwriting / signatures on them, from a member on this board.
Due to different commitments etc., incl. my volunteer driving for a cancer patient care charity over the last few months, I have not had time to dig these out, but finally here they are:

JT Thompson Postcard Dec 17.jpg

JT Thompson Postcard Feb 18.jpg

JT Thompson Postcard Oct 17.jpg

Perhaps it is time to get them framed, looking at that handsome display that Mark created.

Richard