M79 on GB

StrangeRanger

3 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

Not mine, not interested, but the current price looks attractive

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/963149920

I saw that yesterday... of course there is plenty of time left in the auction, however if it stays LOW, it might be too good of a deal to pass up. Transferring as a DD though... ugh. I saw it's a TRW, but what is the engraving under that... Summit Ordnance in Clinton OH? What's up with that?

Also, the receiver looks good (meaning original C&R TRW) but the barrel does not look like a correct Vietnam era unit. Nothing wrong with it of course, just looks post war mf.

Summit Ordnance is  an 07 SOT named James Coots.  He is well known here locally primarily as an M60 guy.  I assume that the receiver is a rewat/reman of the original TRW and engraved accordingly, in which case it is not a C&R.    

On 12/27/2022 at 10:04 AM, Rekraps said:

I saw that yesterday... of course there is plenty of time left in the auction, however if it stays LOW, it might be too good of a deal to pass up. Transferring as a DD though... ugh. I saw it's a TRW, but what is the engraving under that... Summit Ordnance in Clinton OH? What's up with that?

Also, the receiver looks good (meaning original C&R TRW) but the barrel does not look like a correct Vietnam era unit. Nothing wrong with it of course, just looks post war mf.

Correction! Upon closer examination the barrel appears to be genuine USGI! Note "P" proof mark on top, by barrel lug. It may have been refinished, but I'm pretty certain the barrel is a good one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 7:53 AM, StrangeRanger said:

Yes for $13,024

So much for the attractive price

Holy BatThumper. I guess my Kanaar C&R was a great deal at $7,500!

Thanks for the update... good news for all of us.

Both Keystone and Sienna Armory both seem to get WAY above market price for their gun sales.  There has been a LOT of speculation as to why, none of it flattering.

Edited by StrangeRanger
typo

It does seem that the selling price was quite a jump from what the market was paying... then again, as and as been said many times on this forum, all it  takes is one or two interested parties and the bids go crazy. 

Still, the result is good for us.