Guys, for those of you who have, for personal use only, a number of M781 TPT (Inert) Chalk rounds for the M79 or M203, you know that the rounds themselves are getting scarce, but even more so the impulse charges (.38 Blanks). Scouting the web, the cost, if you can find them can be as high as $3 per blank which is ridiculous. 

So, save your plastic casings, order new production pushers and chalk heads and buy impulse blanks. But where?

I found a company called Boland Production Supply out of Winter Haven FL and they manufacture a variety of blanks and other interesting production items for movies, and the US Government etc. I spoke with Mal Boland personally and he shipped me a sample .38 Short, full load, six point rose crimped to test in the M79. 

Brand new production, shiny and perfect. The blank fit into the plastic M781 shell casing and seated perfectly with no effort at all, and it was just a smidgen, and i mean a smidgen loose. The crimped tip did not extend beyond the initial expansion chamber. In order to make sure the blank would not accidently fall out or come loose, I used a drop of Elmer's Glue around the brass case and within minutes it was seated firmly. 

The unit performed as intended. Removing the expended blank was easy using a jig i made with a 2x4. I drilled a 2.78 inch hole .75 inches deep, with a .5 inch hole centered through the rest of the 2x4. The casing is placed in the jig and the expended blank is tapped out of the plastic shell casing with a flat punch. Ready to use again.

Mat is a pleasure to deal with and actually answers the phone.

Blanks (.38 shorts/full load/crimped) are $21.50 per 50. Good value, great quality. For the record, do not fully assemble any M781 rounds (with blanks in them) and store the rounds. That seems to fall afoul of ATF guidelines. Instead, keep & store the inert chalk rounds (or components) separate from the blanks. 

Yes I paid for my order......

1 minute ago, Frank Iannamico said:

Good tip on a source for blanks, thanks!

These guys also sell some 40mm stuff

https://www.cdvs.us/product/m79203-38-sw-launch-cartridge-with-900-per-pound-powder-load-price-per-cartridge/

Years ago I stocked up on blanks, zinc pushers and cones, when it comes to 40mm you have buy big when its available . 

Ya, pricing is almost out of control. Pushing $10 - $14 per round. Heck, by the time you stock up on M781 using the "can't ever have too much ammo" rule, you've spent almost half again as much as you paid for the gun! 

But...... it's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I found a company called EastBlocArms on the web. They sell components or complete rounds without blanks. I ordered 24 ($275) and they arrived in a few days. Jake Barrett is the individual who assisted me at EastBloc. 

The rounds arrived and I had an issue with a few of them, called Jake and he was more than responsive. I was pleasantly surprised as he was VERY concerned that I was happy. Bottom line is that he made it right for me.

This vendor is worthy of our consideration!

Yep, I would. Delivered price for 24 was $12.71 per round to my doorstep. Price with no shipping was $275 for 12, or $11.46. Both prices are without blanks. They manufacture (assemble) the rounds which look excellent.

Washington County Guns sells them for $320 per case (24) with blanks. Brand new military production rounds, blanks included.

In my book, still a good deal. I now have all I need.... forever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am totally amazed that a .38 short blank can push that round so far and so fast. Wow. I'm destroying trees (heaven forbid) from 100 yards out with the round. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just bought another batch of 25 from East Bloc Arms... $275! Best deal going. Blanks (short .38 special, full load) are available at Boland Ammo.

I have to say that the folks at East Bloc Arms are excellent to deal with. 

Reference Eastern Bloc Arms, has anyone purchased their foam 40mm rounds?  If so what blanks did you use? It says on their website that the full power .38 S&W blanks we use on our 40mm chalk rounds are too much. Boland has 1/4, 1/2 38 S&W loads too. Anyone have experience with these and/or advice?

16 hours ago, texasguns67 said:

Reference Eastern Bloc Arms, has anyone purchased their foam 40mm rounds?  If so what blanks did you use? It says on their website that the full power .38 S&W blanks we use on our 40mm chalk rounds are too much. Boland has 1/4, 1/2 38 S&W loads too. Anyone have experience with these and/or advice?

Mine will be delivered tomorrow. I ordered .38 short blanks, 1/2 load from Boland after rescind the advice on the site. 

I'll let you know more when they arrive. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 7:15 PM, texasguns67 said:

.38 Special 1/2 load blanks arrived today. 40 MM TPT rounds due in today also. 

Sponge rounds arrived.  Gorgeous! Ill shoot one in a bit. 

IMG_6049.jpeg

I just shot the Sponge rounds using .38 shorts, 1/2 power. Wow! Those things move, and fast! Be careful. Rounds arrived in two days packed nicely and looking factory fresh. Same for the chalk rounds. Get 'em while you can guys! I left a review on the East Bloc Arms site. Great people....

If the blanks are tight, use a bit of casing lube (alcohol) and if they are just a tad loose, use a drop of Elmers Glue to seat them.

TPT round components arrived. Zinc pusher and filled chalk cap. I mounted them to previously used bases using a thin coat of Elmers Glue. 

They shoot perfect. 

22 hours ago, Rekraps said:

TPT round components arrived. Zinc pusher and filled chalk cap. I mounted them to previously used bases using a thin coat of Elmers Glue. 

They shoot perfect. 

What does your TPT reference designate? 

51 minutes ago, inertord said:

What does your TPT reference designate? 

Great question! It's military lingo for "training rounds", I.e. no explosive.