Ok. How did I do?

On 1/1/2023 at 2:28 PM, TD. said:

I think most of the Cash & Carry Thompson guns sold to the British were equipped with vertical fore grips. Of course, these would not have the US and A1 nomenclature markings. When the US government assumed control of the Thompson production at Savage Arms sometime during the summer months of 1941, I believe the model designated for production was the US Model of 1928 A1 and the Thompson guns were so marked. Of course,, the horizontal fore grip was standard on this 28A1 model. The last British Cash & Carry contract was ended by the US government after 8,000 guns were purchased. The remaining 42,000 guns under this contract were provided to the British via the Lend-Lease Act. I am away from home without my books or research material so double check with what I have written in Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story to be sure.  

If the frame and receiver of Outsider's 200,000 serial numbered Savage have been parkerized, I would guess this happened in Great Britain, probably by INTERARMS, preparing this Thompson (and many others) for export to the USA. I would also guess a new USGI spare parts barrel was installed prior to it being received by the Proof House.

All good stuff!!!

Also note on mine that the "US" and "A1" are hand stamped.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 10:13 PM, Outsider said:

Here are some more photos of the stampings I found for TD.

First a better picture of the receiver stamp.

Second is a stamping on the fore grip sling swivel.

And third is stamping on the underside of the stock sling swivel.

And last but not least are a couple of pictures of what I think are my coolest mag that came with the gun.

IMG_0074.JPG

On 1/2/2023 at 10:13 PM, Outsider said:

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

Here are some photos of my Israeli Box magazines, which I purchased from Richard Garcia. The XX magazine is an 'incorrect Patent Date 20/24' magazine with the 'MSCO' stamp inside backstrap. This magazine has not been refinished, and the 'Israeli Defence force' property stamps are located on the front of the magazine

The XXX magazine was manufactured by Seymour and has been refinished with a green tinge to the colour. The post WW2 IDF property stamps are found in the same location as the XX magazine. Due to the refinishing process, it is difficult to make out the Seymour Products markings on the front of the magazine.

P1140425.JPG

P1140426.JPG

P1140427.JPG

P1140420.JPG

The magazines compliment the IDF Hebrew language, Thompson SMG Small Arms Training pamphlets I have in my collection.

Edited by rpbcps
Notice spelling error... no spell check?