Winchester M2

Pics of my Winchester M2. Was told that it came out of the Winchester museum when it closed down. It has an early disconnector block. Stock only has a "W" in the slingwell. Doesn't have a crossed cannon cartouche.

Edited by Bob K

On 1/6/2023 at 10:50 AM, Frank Iannamico said:

Curious...

What markings are on the safety lever? 

Picture?

It is marked EW.  The mag release also has a W, but it is hard to get a picture of it.

Edited by Bob K

On 1/6/2023 at 7:38 AM, Frank Iannamico said:

I agree, that's a nice one!

All parts shown are correct for that s/n Winchester including the letter C on the bayonet lug and the H in a shield on the rear sight.

Not 100% sure on the stock...

Winchester parts info

http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/Parts/Parts.aspx?action=group&ctl00_cphBody_rgPartsChangePage=14_50

What do you question on the stock? 

2 hours ago, Bob K said:

What do you question on the stock? 

No question on the stock...I am not sure how it should be marked. 

I found this at the link I posted earlier  http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/Parts/Parts.aspx?action=group&ctl00_cphBody_rgPartsChangePage=14_50

WRA Stock Type 1 Unmarked 1000000 - 1114999  
WRA Stock Type 2 Unmarked, W 1115000 - 5559999  
WRA Stock Type 3 Unmarked, W 5560000 - 7279999  
WRA Stock Type 4 W 7280000 - 7289999  
WRA Stock Type 5 W 7290000 - 7369669

1 hour ago, Frank Iannamico said:

No question on the stock...I am not sure how it should be marked. 

I found this at the link I posted earlier  http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/Parts/Parts.aspx?action=group&ctl00_cphBody_rgPartsChangePage=14_50

WRA Stock Type 1 Unmarked 1000000 - 1114999  
WRA Stock Type 2 Unmarked, W 1115000 - 5559999  
WRA Stock Type 3 Unmarked, W 5560000 - 7279999  
WRA Stock Type 4 W 7280000 - 7289999  
WRA Stock Type 5 W 7290000 - 7369669

It is marked W in the slingwell, but I believe it is a type 4.  I don't take that list as gospel as there are discrepancies. First one that I noticed right off the bat is that it doesn't list the "X" marked recoil screw that is a known Winchester part. I thought you might have been referring to the stock not having a crossed cannon cartouche. I wouldn't expect it to have one since it was supposedly a Winchester museum piece and wouldn't have gone through the ordnance dept for final markings. These are just my thoughts. Am I wrong? 

Doing a little research and found out that the Cody firearms museum was negotiating with Winchester in 1975 to get the Winchester Repeating Arms corporate gun collection.  This makes me believe that this M2 came from the corporate collection and not a museum. Very interesting in that the F.O.I.A. papers that I have start in 1975. No dates in the paperwork prior to 1975. A little closer to proving where the M2 came from.

Back in the mid seventies R J Perry bought Winchesters-military smallarms and Cody got the

lever action rifles and shotguns. Some of the guns had adheisive aluminum property numbers  on the stocks. There were several m2’ s for sale on Perry’s listing at the time. I bought one like the one in your pics . On the stock was a taped piece of paper pretty brown from age hand written Experimental gun. The tape was cracked and dark yellow not clear like todays scotch tape. Wish I had taken pictures . Sold it to D Todd years ago. Gun had no military proofs as it was an in factory gun never issued. I believe the price was $ 600 back then. Was an overstamped M2 shot great. Those were the good old days !

13 hours ago, M17ap said:

Back in the mid seventies R J Perry bought Winchesters-military smallarms and Cody got the

lever action rifles and shotguns. Some of the guns had adheisive aluminum property numbers  on the stocks. There were several m2’ s for sale on Perry’s listing at the time. I bought one like the one in your pics . On the stock was a taped piece of paper pretty brown from age hand written Experimental gun. The tape was cracked and dark yellow not clear like todays scotch tape. Wish I had taken pictures . Sold it to D Todd years ago. Gun had no military proofs as it was an in factory gun never issued. I believe the price was $ 600 back then. Was an overstamped M2 shot great. Those were the good old days !

Things are adding up.

Well, well, well, the dots have finally been connected. Lookee what I found with the paperwork. Too bad it is only a picture as the previous owner wasn't willing to give it up. A big big thank-you to M17ap for connecting the dots for me. Such a great price for such a historical piece. How awesome is this?

Edited by Bob K

Yes,

It's an overstamp, no question.  For some reason I thought there were some Winchesters that were M2 marked only, but it has been many years since I dug into that?  I guess I could go look in the books?   That is a good looking gun!  I have an Inland M2, but I doubt is has all the original parts?

7 minutes ago, johnsonlmg41 said:

Yes,

It's an overstamp, no question.  For some reason I thought there were some Winchesters that were M2 marked only, but it has been many years since I dug into that?  I guess I could go look in the books?   That is a good looking gun!  I have an Inland M2, but I doubt is has all the original parts?

The reason I question overstamp as opposed to handstamp is because the line which would be under the 2 isn't straight and could be just a scratch or ding. I would expect it to be a straight line.

There is a "1" underneath.  The stamps IIRC were done by hand?  By over, I just meant over, not differentiating between running it through a roll stamp or hand stamp.  The 2 was done at a different time with a different font than the rest of the markings.  That's how every one I've looked at looked.  I just can't recall from memory if they were all done that way or the vast majority?  There were others done by non-factory makers in the same way that don't hold the value of what you have.

I will say that it sucks that you can't get the original receipt.  That's history that goes with your gun and should never be separated.  I can't quite grasp why anyone would not make the gun whole by withholding the receipt?

Yes, the 2's were stamped by hand. I looked at it with a magnifying glass at many different angles and I still can't say for certain that there is a 1 under the 2. According to War Baby, it was done both ways (ie. with and without a 1 under the 2 stamp).

I am going to try to get in touch with the previous owner and see if I can get the original receipt.

No photo description available.

Your digital pic looks pretty clear to me on a 25" monitor. I see the 1.   Here is a pic of what from the book, would be #2 machine stamped 2.  This gun is in the 7.1 million ser. range.  One would have to review production dates and M2 conversion times and it's likely Winchester had finished receiver production already, thus the need to overstamp the 1's on completed receivers.  IIRC there is a lot of that info in the book series on production dates, but I haven't looked through those for many years.

Hopefully you get that receipt! 

20230112_074333[1].jpg