Thompson firing pin protrusion gauge

I picked up a couple of firing pin protrusion gauges from Apex Gun Parts and I received them today. They look to be virtually NOS.

Does anyone know why one of the gauges has a hole in the middle, and the other does not?

Thanks,

Mark

That way just having one won't be enough til you have all the variants!
Wait til you note some of the holes are different sizes!
The British were about fitment and function, lots of the parts we see have visible differences but all the do the job equally well.

Richard

Oh Richard, I am all about the different variations! 

I do have a couple of questions for you. Are these gauges British, and were they made for a specific model, or will they work with all military Thompson models?

thanks in advance for your time,

Mark

21 hours ago, Rabbit57 said:

Oh Richard, I am all about the different variations! 

I do have a couple of questions for you. Are these gauges British, and were they made for a specific model, or will they work with all military Thompson models?

thanks in advance for your time,

Mark

Looking at the pictures I would say these are are actually Canadien issue (British Commonwealth).
I would expect them to have served in any of the British Commonwealth forces.
If I had to guess I would say these 1943 dated tools are for the M1928A1 guns.
I am not sure what the documented protrusion of the firing pin is for the M1 and M1A1.
I am sure someone on this forum has better info about this than I do.

Richard

About five years ago I bought a Canadian firing pin protrusion gauge from Richard G arcia, it is marked ‘C with Broad Arrow’, and dated 1943. I can't recall if it has any holes in it and I am away from home at the moment so can not check.

Richard

I believe they were for the 1928A1.

The M1 was short lived and many had their bolts replaced with the M1A1s bolts. M1s coming from the Bridgeport plant came out of the factory as M1A1s due to delays in production.

The M1A1 bolts had a fixed firing pin, so did they require a guage?

The geometry of the M1 bolt and the 1928 bolt as it relates to the firing pin is very similar. The gauge I have  helped me diagnose a FTF problem I was having with my M1 as a short FP.

You can use it with an M1A1 as well but instead of indicating time to replace the pin or hammer it would indicate time to replace (or possibly repair) the bolt

1 hour ago, 2ndArmored said:

This is what I've got.

gauge 1.png

gauge 2.png

2nd Armored, That is the same 'C Broad Arrow' marking on mine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 3:19 PM, 2ndArmored said:

This is what I've got.

gauge 1.png

gauge 2.png

Just got home from a short trip to Kenya, and have found some time to do some personal admin, which included looking for some of my Thompson 'bits and pieces'.

My Firing Pin Protrusion gauge was located, and the markings on it, are identical to 2nd Armoreds gauge, apart from the position of the Canadian 'C / Broad Arrow' marking, and their is no hole in my gauge either: 

P1140421.JPGP1140422.JPG