New to me Reising Model 60

mpdphil

5FD469DB-EC17-43C2-90A4-77E0C0A8FF45.thumb.jpeg.5a257b8d18e10289768ae42c613b4768.jpegFinally joined the club. Back in 2002 I purchased a Reising 55 in a Model 50 stock for $2200. I was unable to get a CLEO sign off (needed at the time) so I had to sell it back. Kinda lost interest in Reisings until now. Decided I needed a Model 60 due to the rarity and “cheap” price for what it is. Finally found one, SN 270, from a seller in Indiana. It is all blued and has a 14 fin barrel. Looks like it spent time in a damp climate, maybe this was one that made it to the South Pacific? It sure is early enough. Trying to research it, will update with anything I might find. 
 Thanks to Doug who made up some Uzi sleeves for me.

F218F446-20D4-4989-A6B3-B84BAF3A8A01.thumb.jpeg.a50cd9f0ade535aba6957801f1d3e7dc.jpeg3A83B0AD-CB56-466A-A7D3-1BC1B6C6AEB8.thumb.jpeg.76c845a13fc027cfc2385e2ac2dd1d0b.jpeg

Edited by mpdphil

Nice earlier M60. Shoots almost as fast as a M50 ! 😉

Has later type mag housing and the finned barrel. Not sure but my guess is H&R made these up in batches and used whatever parts were laying around. Saw a 3 digit one with the earlier type mag housing and  plain barrel. I have a much later one with the early type mag housing. 

Probably good to get a new spring kit to replace as needed. The firing pin springs and hammer springs seem to go first.

These are neat rifles. Used by security guards during WW2 and a few Police agencies. The Maryland Game Wardens for one.

You will find that the Wolff action bar spring makes it extremely hard to charge. I put the original back in when running light 185 gr. loads but use the Wolff with full power 230s.  Like Jim said YMMV.

My Reising would not fire reliably using the stock hammer spring with some hard primered Argentine surplus and European commercial ammo.  Perhaps a weak spring, perhaps an ammo issue or a little of both.  The Wolff hammer spring runs 100% with any ammo that I've tried.

The small springs are just maintenance items no issues there

Edited by StrangeRanger

Nice,

they are pretty cool guns that have risen dramatically in price in the last few years since they've been outed as "collectibles".  I think you are fairly local to me, and I know what you mean about the sign off.  It disenfranchised a lot of MG ownership in many areas.   I've had mine a couple years or so but haven't gotten it out to shoot yet.  As Strangeranger recommends, shoot it first and see if it works, and if so leave it alone.  Wolff spring kits in most circumstances don't replicate original springs for any gun, so they should be considered a last resort to restoring functionality.  If it ain't broke.....

Might look for some 15 rd. Uzi mags when you get it settled in?  LOL

Edited by johnsonlmg41