Ingram M6 for sale now on GUNBROKER!

I always thought that the M6 was full-auto only and had no safety other than the notch for the bolt handle. However a similarly equipped M6 was sold by RIA a few years ago. That one almost looks like a factory job.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/50/3214/ingram-m6-carbine-45

So was the RIA gun fitted with a factory addition/option or with something added on by a previous owner and possibly copied on this gun.  If someone cobbled on a safety, it took some ingenuity to get it right.  Very interesting.

Edited by StrangeRanger

2 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

I always thought that the M6 was full-auto only and had no safety other than the notch for the bolt handle. However a similarly equipped M6 was sold by RIA a few years ago. That one almost looks like a factory job.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/50/3214/ingram-m6-carbine-45

So was the RIA gun fitted with a factory addition/option or with something added on by a previous owner and possibly copied on this gun.  If someone cobbled on a safety, it took some ingenuity to get it right.  Very interesting.

I have an M6 original with 3 positions full/simi/safe. Mine is a later model with a different site. This M6 ia modified for sure. Here is what the seller emailed me. "

We are unsure on the history of this firearm. We purchased from a local customer who bought it as an investment. The only thing he knew for sure was the safety selector was changed. 

this photo below  is my M6

smg copy.jpg

Edited by tom silver

43 minutes ago, StrangeRanger said:

In the Forgotten Weapons video, the one that Ian dissects has no selector or safety mechanisms

I was told that the earliest ones did not have selectors. Mine is a 15 ## serial number.

Edited by tom silver

Some came with factory selectors.  The one on the linked M6 looks like it was replaced with a right side selector from an AR15 ambidextrous safety.  It is probably just a selector replacement as I doubt someone converted a non-safety M6 to a safety one. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

The gun is definitely not original. The barrel and receiver appear to be painted- perhaps Duracoat and the “lower” appears to be stripped of finish. Already discussed is the selector lever is not the type originally fitted.

yep I think to molested in my opinion. I like original and not altered myself. 

The trigger is thinner than the one in Ian's video and may be thinner than yours. Hard to tell but in any case it may just be a running change.

The M6 in the video has the same screw at the rear of the trigger guard as the GB gun.

Possibly a decent shooter but near zero collector value and the price reflects this.  Apex still has mags available but still I can think of better ways to spend $9K

7 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

The trigger is thinner than the one in Ian's video and may be thinner than yours. Hard to tell but in any case it may just be a running change.

The M6 in the video has the same screw at the rear of the trigger guard as the GB gun.

Possibly a decent shooter but near zero collector value and the price reflects this.  Apex still has mags available but still I can think of better ways to spend $9K

Thanks. I have picked up a number of M6 apex mags over the past 2 years. Great price cosidering they will be hard to find in the future.  

Edited by tom silver

7 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

I am not talking about the screw in the rear of the trigger guard, I am talking about the metal piece that it looks like the screw goes into or that is attached to the wood of the trigger stock. I have NOT seen any other Ingrams that have that metal strip..

Edited by tom silver

Didn't watch the gun jebus video, but he makes a lot of errors since he doesn't own 99% of the stuff so that's always a problem and the books only tell you so much? 

The gun in the RIA auction link has not only a selector, but a progressive trigger when set to full auto, much like an AUG.  Pull harder, more bullets

The GB gun has a lot of issues, but may be a decent shooter.  If you want to call these guns collectible, then this gun does not meet that criteria with all the issues.

15 hours ago, tom silver said:

I am not talking about the screw in the rear of the trigger guard, I am talking about the metal piece that it looks like the screw goes into or that is attached to the wood of the trigger stock. I have NOT seen any other Ingrams that have that metal strip..

That metal stud is present on your gun; it's merely covered by the pistol grip.  A previous owner of the GB gun probably trimmed the front edge of the grip back and exposed it (or perhaps it left the factory like that, no way to tell)

13 hours ago, johnsonlmg41 said:

Didn't watch the gun jebus video, but he makes a lot of errors since he doesn't own 99% of the stuff so that's always a problem and the books only tell you so much? 

The gun in the RIA auction link has not only a selector, but a progressive trigger when set to full auto, much like an AUG.  Pull harder, more bullets

The GB gun has a lot of issues, but may be a decent shooter.  If you want to call these guns collectible, then this gun does not meet that criteria with all the issues.

Thanks for your remarks. You make a good point. A shooter or a collector, or maybe both depending on usage or not.. 

Edited by tom silver

Two types were manufactured: no selector between fire options and a selector between fire options. All M6's had the two stage trigger, an ingenious and practical design. They are excellent SMGs, but built on the light side. Having reactivated more than half a dozen of both types, I'm a definite fan of the design. Selectors are available to replace the AR part. The finish can be restored if it is Duracoat, etc. What it costs in it's current condition is really irrelevant when cruisers on these boards are buying West Hurleys for over 20k......LOL

On 1/24/2023 at 8:18 AM, BRMCII said:

Two types were manufactured: no selector between fire options and a selector between fire options. All M6's had the two stage trigger, an ingenious and practical design. They are excellent SMGs, but built on the light side. Having reactivated more than half a dozen of both types, I'm a definite fan of the design. Selectors are available to replace the AR part. The finish can be restored if it is Duracoat, etc. What it costs in it's current condition is really irrelevant when cruisers on these boards are buying West Hurleys for over 20k......LOL

thanks for the information and facts.  

Edited by tom silver

10 minutes ago, maxfaxdude said:

Speaking of the Model 6, I'm in the market to purchase one.  If anyone has an M6 for sale, please send me a PM and we'll talk. 

the are really fantastic SMGs.  I will keep an eye out for you.  Did you check the one out on Gunbroker yet?

Just curious as to how the fire selector/safety works on these guns.

From its location and from what I could see beginning at 11:05 in Ian's video of a gun without a selector I'm guessing that in the "Safe" position it simply blocks the pivoting motion of the trigger rather than blocking the sear and in the "Semi" position it allows the trigger to rotate enough to release the sear but not far enough to override the disconnector.  Am I guessing correctly?

Edited by StrangeRanger