M.P.18,I & MP28 20 round magazine pouches

Rekraps

Hey guys, Numrich has original 1930's early 1940's leather magazine pouches, 20 round for the M.P.18,I and MP 28. As you know, the Bergmann M.P.18,I & MP28 both used the same 20 round magazine, while the 32 round stick could only be used in the MP28. 

Which brings up a point... if any of you have ANY 20 round stick mags for your MP28, and want to let one or two go, please let me know. My M.P.18,I is in desperate need.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own several original MP38u40 magazine pouches and the reverse stitching and diagonal placement of the belt loops leads me to believe these are original German pre or WW2 production.

Okay, magazine pouch arrived yesterday and it is clear that these things have been in storage for many, many years. The overall condition of the pouch was very good, but the leather needed attention and badly. So, after two complete coats of neatsfoot leather oil, and gentle massage the pouch has returned. One more coat and it'll be really nice.

The Bergmann M.P.18,I 20 round magazine fit in it perfectly. The sewing of the leather, closure tabs and placement of the belt loops on the back are 100% consistent with my original MP38u40 pouches, and therefore I am certain that this is an original German manufacture magazine pouch for the M.P.18,I and MP28.

I'm going to buy another.

Edited by Rekraps
free up space

On 1/24/2023 at 5:33 PM, ron_brock said:

I’d love to know what the pouches are for sure.  I was told European country for the UZI.  I have a nice one marked GBA 1965.  Numrich is always crafty with their wording.  

Ron 

You know, the pouches could have been used post war by other countries and could carry stamps as such, BUT, I own several original MP38u40 pouches and the one delivered by Numrich has identical construction and make up. They are real. I'm not sure Numrich knows what they have. Of course, almost nobody has any of the 20 round magazines that fit the pouch, so that may impact the pricing.

100% NOT original german MP18, nor MP28 pouches, unfortunately.   I have original pouches, one with numbered magazines, and they do not look anywhere near that style.  Both are dated and mfr. marked.  Could be Czech or any other number of countries that utilized that style of sewing and construction.   Very handy for that price even as an Uzi mag pouch. 

3 hours ago, johnsonlmg41 said:

100% NOT original german MP18, nor MP28 pouches, unfortunately.   I have original pouches, one with numbered magazines, and they do not look anywhere near that style.  Both are dated and mfr. marked.  Could be Czech or any other number of countries that utilized that style of sewing and construction.   Very handy for that price even as an Uzi mag pouch. 

Post pics!

On 1/29/2023 at 5:59 PM, Rekraps said:

I'll post pics of my MP38u40 pouches and this one side by side.... maybe.....

So I pulled a prewar Luger holster out and took a pic of the Waffen mark. Then by looking oh so carefully on the back of the pouch, I found the faintest of identical Waffen marks.  Look about 1" from my finger in the 2:00 position.  
I also compared stitching to several holsters and mag pouches and I have to say it looks to be very German.  
Stitch quality and pattern look good, and the leather is very high quality. 

Edited by Rekraps
free up space

The 4 cell is an MP18 pouch and the mags are numbered to a gun and sequenced,  1 thru 4, and is original.  The 3 cell pouch with the Otto Sindel markings is dubious at best.  It is primarily for an MP28, but can be used for the MP18.   The 4 cell, like many German pouches is marked under the flap.  95% sure this one is original,  45% sure on the other one...too many red flags.

The pouch you have may be Norwegian or some other country and for ?  Or it may be for a MP28 that was contract sold to whatever country that made their own pouches?  Quite a few countries bought MP28's.

20230130_193204[1].jpg

20230130_193228[1].jpg

20230130_193318[1].jpg

Your Otto Sindel  three cell is 100% real. The holster pic I posted above is from Simpson Lugers and the stamp and Waffen mark are identical to the markings on mine, as is the stitching and "D" ring. Great find!  For sale? I am terribly envious that you have M.P.18,I mags....

Your points about my pouch are well taken, however if you look at the "D" ring, stitching and ever so faint Waffen mark (unless my old age eyes are failing) then I think its just another "type" of three cell. When collecting my MP38u40 pouches, I found there to be untold number of variations due to the many manufacturers, primarily smaller companies for these types of products, used to produce war material. I think that perhaps the pouch I have exhibits those qualities.

8 hours ago, ron_brock said:

Here’s pics of one of my pouches.  25rd Uzi mags fit perfectly also.  No idea what it’s for, but I am doubtful it’s German for the MP18.  I have a similar impression on the back, doubt it’s a waffenampt though. 
0C644AE4-E87D-466D-8CDE-6643491208A9.jpeg1654C484-F4D1-4E29-9224-FC4B68F89929.jpeg90B8C765-EAB4-47F8-9E90-B98FB82DA7A2.jpegD141D574-5D4E-4360-8E76-449B72B74375.jpegE5F746A5-B859-48FE-9AC4-E359384C7302.jpegB7FF2BC6-B9B0-4120-B300-D5424F618455.jpeg

Ron

So that is my exact pouch. What makes you doubt it's for M.P.18,I? MP28? 

I guess we'll never know for sure.

I have doubts on German manufacture as there are no apparent maker marks or stamps and typically they were good about marking items, especially considering the condition of my pouch.  Yes my pouch could be reissued and the stamp applied as such, but I doubt it.  I’m not trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole.  I do believe it’s European for a subgun, beyond that I have no evidence of anything further.  

If someone can identify with proof, it would be great to know what these are.

Ron 

https://www.royaltigerimports.com/product-p/uzip0014.htm

Austrian post war Uzi.  If the shipment had been routed via Germany RTI would have claimed they were German, but even they could not stretch that claim!

Any quality leather pouch under $50 is worth it IMO regardless of what it's for.  Those leather VZ AK pouches for $12 are a screaming deal.  I bought a few just because.  When the SHTF I may need to make shoes out of them when gyna cuts us off.

Excellent research as usual! Since Austria was annexed by Germany, I'm gonna claim the pouches are German! Yea!

Seriously though, we now know they are Austrian (or are confident they are), and they hold 20 round magazines (therefore no pistols) I bet donuts to dollars they were police issue (not military) and most likely for the M.P.18,I or more likely, the MP28.

No other gun that I am aware of used 20 round magazines

Yes, but I'd be willing to bet Israel would not be likely to use German/Austrian military products. Kind of a bad history there....

What's so interesting is that the quality of the pouches is really nice... so these most likely would not be military field pouches, especially after the war production and money was at a premium and canvass/cloth type pouches were all the rage. So, I'll go back to my theory (no, I'm not a scientist) that they were police issue, OR possibly used for important events like parades, guards etc..

My soon to arrive Swedish "K" has the bayonet lug shroud used primarily for show (even though Swedish forces that deployed to the Congo used "K"/s with shrouds), so we know some items were designed and produced for this type of service.

2 hours ago, johnsonlmg41 said:

I am shocked!😮   Of course the only mags that fit are for the German MP2, thus German pouches?  LOL

I know, right!  I was kinda thinking maybe for the MPI69, but the date stamped in my pouch does not really align with that, at least not if adopted in 69.  

Any idea what the Austrians used prior to the MPI69?

Ron