Swedish K - what parts have you guys broken on your guns?

My gun is a Wilson "L" receiver built with a Port Said kit. I was not the first owner but the second.

So far I have broken the sear rivet twice. When the gun was built the rivets closest to the weld between the tube and bottom channel were hit with the grinder when the weld was dressed. This made the end of the sear rivet eventually fail and the washer fell off. I did not notice at the time until the rivet drifted out of the gun while shooting. The gun kept shooting just fine without the rivet because there is a pocket in the block ahead of the sear designed for the purpose of the rivet failing?

I replaced the rivet but did not dome it due to the lack of the proper punch/bucking bar. The head failed like it did the first time due to me smashing too thin. I ahve since replaced it again and actually have another rivet just in case I get around to getting a domed punch.

Besides that rivet, that's the only item that has failed on my gun in over 20K rnds.

I wore out a sear once. That was it, then again the sear was used when I started with it. 

I know other K owners who have worn out the following:

sear

bolt (sear catch surface)

extractor 

Other than that, not much else that could wear out except the barrel or recoil/drive spring. 

Hey guys. Nothing has failed on my guns yet. Just in case however, I've extra sears and extractors, bolts, recoil springs and the like. For me, if a rivet fails, its off to Andrewski as I do not have the tools or experience to repair this piece. Plus, Andrewski guarantees his guns, so the repair of the rivet would be at no charge!

I also know that IO sells rivet packs specific to the K.

But I will say, replacing the extractor is a bear. Getting that V/W shaped extractor spring retainer out is a job.... I'd just assume buy an entire new/NOS bolt.

The other almost impossible part to replace is the front sight post retaining clip/leaf spring. I bought about 10 extra as they break very easily and are so difficult to install.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:15 AM, Got Uzi said:

I wore out a sear once. That was it, then again the sear was used when I started with it. 

I know other K owners who have worn out the following:

sear

bolt (sear catch surface)

extractor 

Other than that, not much else that could wear out except the barrel or recoil/drive spring. 

Hey Uzi, is your gun a "L" series? I ask because John A mentioned that one of the issues with the original "MB" series was the sear height (and by default the sear pin hole) which might have contributed to the wear.

3 hours ago, Chopper28 said:

Have a Wilson "L" tube assembled by Andrewski  on a Port Said kit. Have had it over ten years. I have yet to break any parts. And it is not a safe Queen.

Chopper, you sound like me. I take my "K"s to the range all the time. Not only do I like to shoot them, but they ALWAYS draw a crowd (you know, the usual questions: Is that a STEN, Is that a MP 40, Is that a howitzer?) Too funny. I have been into NFA long enough now that I can't imagine people who know nothing at all about this class of gun. But there is... and plenty. 

It's up to us to keep the torch!

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Lewisfan said:

Old post being resurrected just to add that in nearly 20 years owning a Pearl Swedish K I've had absolutely zero parts break or wear out.  I probably clean it once every decade just for fun. That's part of why I like it so much....

To me, the after the range cleaning routine is my favorite part. Although not necessary by any means, I totally disassemble and clean all my SMG's after each range trip... which is often. I bought wool daubs, they come in packs of 100 (amazon) and look like pregnant qtips. They are amazing for cleaning SMG's. 

4 hours ago, DINK said:

I've had to replace the recoil spring (mainspring?) once.  Ignition started to get unreliable, but plugging in a new spring fixed her right up.

Wow, that seems so odd as the recoil spring is not tightly wound, nor of a small diameter. Glad I have two extra!

You have to bear in mind that my gun, like many of the "Ks" available in the country, was made from a Port Said parts set.  The guns that were turned into parts sets so they could be imported were used by the Egyptian Army before they got scooped up by the Israelis after the Egyptians got kicked out of the Sinai peninsula.  God only knows how many rounds were fired through those guns or how they were maintained since production started back in the 1950s.  A spring has only so many compression cycles in it before it gets tired, no matter how it is wound.

Extras are always a good idea.

On 4/2/2023 at 6:48 AM, DINK said:

You have to bear in mind that my gun, like many of the "Ks" available in the country, was made from a Port Said parts set.  The guns that were turned into parts sets so they could be imported were used by the Egyptian Army before they got scooped up by the Israelis after the Egyptians got kicked out of the Sinai peninsula.  God only knows how many rounds were fired through those guns or how they were maintained since production started back in the 1950s.  A spring has only so many compression cycles in it before it gets tired, no matter how it is wound.

Extras are always a good idea.

Yep, correct. The great thing about the K's though is that there are just not that many moving parts, sans the spring and sear. I've never even heard of an extractor going bad, (yet I did stock up on those also!).

17 hours ago, Got Uzi said:

I had a bolt and sear go bad before.  Never had an extractor fail yet but Im sure there will always be a first time.

How did the bolt go bad? 

On 4/5/2023 at 4:53 PM, Got Uzi said:

Sear locking surface was worn and wasn’t catching the sear. It was a combination of bad sear and bad bolt together. I’ve seen it a lot with M3 and M3A1 Grease Guns. 

Which of course is why I extra M3 and K bolts, sears and other stuff. It won't be long until they are all gone.