Michigan Antique Arms/TATA Thompson Display Last Weekend in Novi, MI

I'm a little late posting this, but last week, three of us made the trek to Novi, Michigan to do a display of Thompsons, all but one of which were from Tracie's collection.  It's quite an effort and risk on Tracie's part to do the display, but the outpouring of thanks that we received throughout the weekend was truly outstanding, and made it all worth it.  The display was extremely well received.  The SVDM Thompsons were also supposed to be present, but an event at the Berrien County Sheriff's office kept them from sending them.  Nevertheless, Mike Klein's niece displayed many photos from the SVDM display on Saturday, and her passion for carrying on Mike's legacy was evident.  

I hope you enjoy the  photos below from the display.

IMG_1179.jpgIMG_1180.jpgIMG_1181.jpgIMG_1182.jpgIMG_1183.jpgIMG_1184.jpgIMG_1185.jpgIMG_1186.jpgIMG_1187.jpgIMG_1184.jpgIMG_1185.jpgIMG_1186.jpgIMG_1187.jpgIMG_1184.jpgIMG_1185.jpgIMG_1186.jpgIMG_1187.jpgIMG_1189.jpgIMG_1190.jpgIMG_1191.jpgIMG_1192.jpgIMG_1193.jpgIMG_1194.jpgIMG_1195.jpgIMG_1196.jpgIMG_1197.jpgIMG_1198.jpgIMG_1199.jpgIMG_1200.jpg

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Like 4

• dalbert changed the title to Michigan Antique Arms/TATA Thompson Display Last Weekend in Novi, MI

David,

Excellent display, some amazing history there.

While on the subject of Model of 1919's , I thought Auto Ordnance Corporation just rented a workshop, and offices, at the Warner and Swasey Company, and that it was the AOC employees who did all the work.

However a fellow Thompson enthusiast sent me the following information, only this evening, so perhaps I was wrong, it would not be the first time 😕

Quoting from Frank Iannamico in Small Arms: The Thompson Submachine Gun ID Guide, Part I: The Colt and Savage 1921-1928 Models.

Quote "...The original Auto-Ordnance Corporation was simply a research and development organization, which had no manufacturing facilities. The Warner and Swasey Company of Cleveland, Ohio manufactured all of the prototype weapons for the Auto-Ordnance Corporation. After a final production model was ready, the manufacture of the weapon was subcontracted out to Colt". unquote.

So I guess we would be correct in saying the 1919 series of Thompsons were manufactured by the Warner and Swasey Company.

Stay Safe

Richard

Great looking display. Whenever this group set’s up a display it makes the whole Thompson community look good. Thanks for the hard work and posting the pictures. 

Frank

That has to be the coolest site that these eyes have ever seen. The very first production Thompson. That is so cool. Thank you for posting the pictures. I hope to see all of those Thompson's in person one day.

Edited by mbc230

The Models of 1919 were created in Cleveland as a team effort between

Warner and Swasey and AO. At first W&S was supposed to make them, but in the end only helped

with the metallurgy work. W&S became very busy with WWI work. AO (Eickhoff) managed to equip a very capable machine shop and 

had it making the prototypes. To say that this facility was a production shop is a stretch. Limited

production or prototypes yes. But, never going to be or meant to be a production facility.

Tracie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taliaferro said:

The Models of 1919 were created in Cleveland as a team effort between

Warner and Swasey and AO. At first W&S was supposed to make them, but in the end only helped

with the metallurgy work. W&S became very busy with WWI work. AO (Eickhoff) managed to equip a very capable machine shop and 

had it making the prototypes. To say that this facility was a production shop is a stretch. Limited

production or prototypes yes. But, never going to be or meant to be a production facility.

Tracie

Tracie,

Appreciate your reply, and sharing your knowledge once again.

Richard

Fantastic display! I wish I was not committed in other (warmer) parts of the country that weekend and could have attended. 

Hopefully TATA can continue this next year and beyond.

8 minutes ago, Taliaferro said:

Next year TATA is looking to make it a bigger display. So if you are interested in displaying

put it on your calendar now. 

Can't guarantee warm weather, but maybe warm friendships???

That just sounds wrong.....

Tracie

🤣😂🙄