Blish locks with serial numbers?

I tried to search an answer here on the forums with no luck. Anyone ever see a blish lock with a serial number stamped on the crossbar? Picked up a Savage blish at a gunshow over the weekend. Looks new but has a 6 digit number stamped on the crossbar. 

A couple mags through the gun would likely obliterate that number.

Please post a pic!

Here's some pics. The serial number beguins with what looks like an upside down 7, followed by the numbers 88026. Savage proof mark on the face of one of the ears.

Doesn't look like there's any wear on it from impacting/riding in the channels during operation either.

blish1.jpg

blish2.jpg

Meaning less. anything can have a number  added to it i know a few colt stocks out there guys matched the numbers from the buttplate on to the stock. they never made them to match it was for production.

not to say we have a all matched gun's. the lower and upper on colt was it.{and we don't have to go into the first batch of barrel marks, that has been dragged thru the ages.{NEXT WILL BE ACTUATORS AND BOLTS WITH ALL KINDS OF NUMBERS.}Ultra rare scarce one only!

Kinda like the s.s. Markings on German items.post-504-0-00484700-1619380474_thumb.jpg 

All we know is that locks were not serial numbered when made, or when originally assembled into complete guns. Font doesn't look like anything used on American arms. 

On 2/8/2023 at 1:04 PM, colt21a said:

Meaning less. anything can have a number  added to it i know a few colt stocks out there guys matched the numbers from the buttplate on to the stock. they never made them to match it was for production.

not to say we have a all matched gun's. the lower and upper on colt was it.{and we don't have to go into the first batch of barrel marks, that has been dragged thru the ages.{NEXT WILL BE ACTUATORS AND BOLTS WITH ALL KINDS OF NUMBERS.}Ultra rare scarce one only!

Kinda like the s.s. Markings on German items.post-504-0-00484700-1619380474_thumb.jpg 

Can't see any SS markings the above pictured MP38s........

Yes that is why i posted those MP-38'S  ONE WITH LATER SAFETY handle mods. they don't have any. however seen one that did. a general issue one.Also had a issue leather s.s. stamped mag pouch. As we all know the stories get deep.As my Grandfather once said Ron "always tell the truth because you are never going to remember all your lies."

it is just as deep with Thompsons as other guns now and even as bad as Stolen Valor.

we just get to have fun with all of it.

1 hour ago, colt21a said:

Yes that is why i posted those MP-38'S  ONE WITH LATER SAFETY handle mods. they don't have any. however seen one that did. a general issue one.Also had a issue leather s.s. stamped mag pouch. As we all know the stories get deep.As my Grandfather once said Ron "always tell the truth because you are never going to remember all your lies."

it is just as deep with Thompsons as other guns now and even as bad as Stolen Valor.

we just get to have fun with all of it.

Yeah, I have an MP38 without SS markings, too. And not much finish left and the bolt has the mod. Guess I'll post a pic......

4 hours ago, TSMGguy said:

The drop safety mod was approved in 1942. Earlier guns were to be retrofitted. Not all were. Either is correct.

And for some reason you think i might not know that. you must not follow me on the P-38 Forum.. i know you are there.good old Denny sold a nice all matched one last year with no mods.TOO pricey for me. and for most $50 g. glad you are keeping up on post-504-0-23876900-1615753658_thumb.jpgThompsons.Sold this documented s.s. sgts bringback to a member here.early 660 code Steyr.

On 2/8/2023 at 1:04 PM, colt21a said:

Me be liking those MP38's!

4 hours ago, BRMCII said:

Yeah, I have an MP38 without SS markings, too. And not much finish left and the bolt has the mod. Guess I'll post a pic......

I understand that regardless of MP38 or MP40, if the gun was in use (which most of them were) then modifications to the bolt charging handle were made, with most being complete by 1942. It's entirely possible ( and we know this) that some soldiers did not get their guns modified and that is why we have some without the newer safety charging handle. Plus, I bet there were guns in storage, or used domestically by German police that were never modified either. 

On 2/8/2023 at 10:04 AM, colt21a said:

colt21a -- are those your pair of MP38s?   

Long Sold off many years ago. one to Irv Kahn in Ohio and another to a east coast guy, Along with the 6 or 7 MP-40'S i had.i did not have a lot of them because i also liked MG-34's and 42's and MP-44's, which i had.

Many always tell you stick to one or 2 of something and you can become a expert on it. I always figured well what if you had dozens and dozens of hundreds.that you would know a little about a lot, instead of all on just a few.Best when you get with somebody at a gun show or meeting that you do know what the heck you are talking about

.Still i find some get ticked off if you try and correct or let them know.and try and help them.. i was rep and disb for Clayco, Steyr, Magnum Research. the old Mac /armament which went to Wayne at s.w.d. and did a bunch with Trast from Numrich. and also sold and repped for Bob Ohio Ord.Besides owning ARMCO. ARM LTD. AND Chicago Typewriter Company.and worked at DSARMS.

so yeah been around the block. It's been fun...And helped many when they did  books with a ton of info and pictures. And never asked for credit.It was a honor to help them out get many things right.Well on to the next chapter of BOLTS, Stocks and numbered hard cases next. Or a hidden in the wall Thompson.sadly over 70% of those i mentioned in Thompson Quest are now gone.and many a good friend, not just a customer.

Thanks for that, i miss many of them everyday.WHOEVER SAID LIFE IS  SHORT, DID SOMETHING WITH HIS LIFE.

I am thankful for those that came before to keep that history alive and around.Those who just look at it all in bucks$$ have lost that history in whatever they collect.And we do need the new guys for sure. since in 20 or 30 years. it will be like that breaking bad tale they used Ozymandias,not exactly in the same context. But you know what i mean.

In 2023 try and do something good for a new guy.