2 cm Flak 30/38 Gun

maxfaxdude

Although not in the U.S., I have two 20mm FLAKs. I live in Switzerland, there are quite some private owned 20mm guns around, since the swiss army sold them to collectors years ago. Currently they're not even treated as weapons by law, although fully functional.
My two guns are a Model 1938 Waffenfabrik Bern, belt fed, and a Oerlikon Model 1953 with 50rds drum mag. Life rounds are quite rare and expensive.
The big problem here is that there aren't any shooting ranges wich allow bigger than .50 BMG, and full auto shooting is also difficult here. So the two guns stand in my barn and wait...

20170320_121652_resized.jpg

20230303_203950resized.jpg

20230303_204015resized.jpg

• Like 1

A quick Google search pulled up this video of Bob Bigando firing a Flak 30/38 at the Big Sandy shoot last year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClPfeg6Lcnu/?hl=en

Bob's one of the higher profile guys who works on cannons/big bore guns at Hamilton Firearms in the Arizona.  I called up Bob and he's a super nice guy to talk to and very informative. 

To his knowledge, no fully transferable Flak 30/38s are in the U.S.   I always thought it would be considered a destructive device, but all autocannons (regardless of caliber) are considered machineguns.   But he put the word out that I'm interesting in buying one, if it exists.

Edited by maxfaxdude

On 3/6/2023 at 10:29 PM, supertwin said:

Maxfaxdude, good luck in finding a Flak!

Where do you go for holydays in Switzerland?

I'm staying at an Chalet in Bellwald.  We will be traveling to Zurich, Zermatt, Oeschinensee, Jungfrauhoch, Furkapass, Pilatus and Gotthard Pass.  If time permits, I like to also go to St. Moritz.   

Edited by maxfaxdude

So you will be travelling arond quite a bit...but distances in Switzerland are not too big...
A lot of beautiful places,hope the weather will be fine when you're up in the mountains!

On your way there will be some old fortresses wich are museums these days. Some are still equipped with their machine guns and artillery. Just in case you're interested and you will have time, I can post some links...

On 3/8/2023 at 10:53 AM, supertwin said:

So you will be travelling arond quite a bit...but distances in Switzerland are not too big...
A lot of beautiful places,hope the weather will be fine when you're up in the mountains!

On your way there will be some old fortresses wich are museums these days. Some are still equipped with their machine guns and artillery. Just in case you're interested and you will have time, I can post some links...

Supertwin,

Yes, I will be traveling around a lot, but like you said, the distances are fairly short.

Yes, please post some links!!!!

Thank you!

Edited by maxfaxdude

While checking some homepages of the museums I found that most of the are only open at weekends, and only guided tours for groups. The following can be visited by individuals.
I think best for you is this one, located on top of the Gotthard Pass:

www.sasso-sangottardo.ch

This is a probably the largest museum in Switzerland for weapons, with almost all handguns, machine guns, cannons and tanks ever used by the swiss army:

www.festungsmuseum.ch

It's not really on your way but about 45 minutes from Zurich airport. Unfortunatly homepage only in german.

• 4 months later...