27 saved from the scrap pile

When I recently inherited this rifle from a dearly departed friends wife, (1976 WH 27A1) it was very messed up inside, barrel plugged and altered in a failed attempt to be an open bolt. I brought it home in pieces. It didn't work at all. Even the back of the bolt was ground at an angle? After figuring out the pieces were unavailable, I almost decided "wall hangar" but borrowed a Kahr 27A5 pistol from a friend and began to copy his parts, re-weld / repair and re create all my parts inside to make a legit, functioning rifle. I needed to know a lot of dimensions, spring guide length, hammer and sear and bolt dimensions, etc... I'm a metal fabricator and machinist by trade, not a gunsmith. There is a big difference in a WH and Kahr. (no mixing of the fire control parts that I can tell. You use one system or the other.)  It took a fair amount of welding and machining but was a fun winter project and the final results make me happy. The Kahr firing pin and bolt is way different. ( I believe the modern way of a hole in the bolt face instead of a rectangle is a better idea) BUT: I wanted it back to usable condition as it was designed. as I stated in another post: the firing pin (sear hook) needs to be .120 out of the bolt bottom according sliding a depth micrometer the travel of the pin in the lower assembly. I tried that .120 with mixed results but not working consistently. WELL: I didnt account for all the extra clearances when you stack the whole assembly together (oops, bolt slop, upper to lower slop etc.) So, I welded to the sear hook portion and began to test fit. Turns out it needed an extra .025 to work without fail. So, I created another pin from scratch with all the proper dimensions from 4130 chrome moly and hardened the sear hook and pin area. quick bottle blue and call it good. all happy now and have a few spares. I created a 3D model of the final result and can now cut these on the CNC mill if ever needed.

So, the R&D was enjoyable, testing: FUN, and finished result: makes me very happy.

DeerSlayer Dan sent me an original barrel which I then "aged to match" and installed. Now it is exactly like what I want. and: it feels good to have saved one from the scrap heap. As a bonus, it's accurate as anyone could ask for. that's 10 rounds in the yellow from 60'.

Even the 3rd hand tool is different between the two. I borrowed the Kahr but it would not fit the older WH. I made a quick 3D model and cut this one on the mill but here's a shot if you need the dimensions.

Thanks guys for your guidance and helpful replies.

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_2903.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

• Like 2