Another "pieces and parts" question (AKA "Geez...these new guys ask the stupidest questions !")

As a new owner, I'm trying to build up a small inventory of spare parts to have around "just in case".  I have a question regarding manufacturer marks on individual TSMG parts that I really haven't seen explained clearly.

Was it a US Government requirement that ALL parts (excluding small thing like springs and pins) on a Thompson have a manufacturer mark ?  If not all parts, were there some parts that were required and others that were "optional" for the manufacturers ?

I was on a website looking at some parts that were described as being USGI.  I sent a question regarding the manufacturer of the blish lock and buffer pilot they had advertised.  The person responding said they didn't know the manufacturer and also stated that the blish lock only had the arrow and the "up" markings...and the buffer pilot had no markings at all (note: the pic of the buffer pilot looked like it was a milled part).  This got me wondering if they were advertising USGI parts....but actually selling reproductions (or WH parts) ?  That's what got me thinking about WHEN the manufacturer marks started being stamped onto parts (and WHAT parts) and if there might be a large number of parts out there without markings because they were made prior to any requirements being put in place. 

Also....did the original run of 15K Colt Thompsons have any manufacturer marks on some (or all) of their parts ?  I've been told there are some parts that were on both Colts and very early Savage products (knurled selector levers, milled, one-piece ejectors, etc).  If I came across one of those particular parts and they did NOT have an "S" on the part.....would they be Colt or could they be either if the "S" stamp only became requirement later in the production run ?

Be gentle....I'm just looking to learn.

Gene

Hey Gene - I am sure you will get a lot of replies and info on this. 
    One of my guidelines with all this is the value of a part combined with the difficulty, if any, of manufacture dictates the likelihood, if any, of the part being duplicated.

For example, barrels are easy and there are a lot of aftermarket barrels out there, but there are also a lot of original barrels still out there as well. Doug Richardson made and sold very high quality thin-finned M1921 pattern barrels but he sold them as repros for people making display guns or for making your WH look like a Colt. He did not try to pass them off as original.

He also worked a miracle and found 2 guys to make very accurate M1921 actuators but these he marked with a “R” and sold as repros.

Doug’s friend and cohort Gordon (of serial number book fame) had some one piece milled ejectors made which were not marked and might have fooled some people, but every one I have seen (20+?) had little swirl marks on the underside from the endmills which are not present on originals and so are easy to ID once you know what to look for.

But most other parts are not worth the trouble to make because there are still plenty out there. Yes, I know WH made investment cast sears, sear levers, and two piece buffer pilots, etc. but that was 40+ years ago and at that time for whatever reason original parts were not available.

Most parts except for screws, pins, and springs are marked but the absence of a mark would not mean to me that the part was automatically fake. It could just be an error or oversight in manufacture, I would let the quality, appearance, and finish be the final guide.

And it can get confusing. I see all the time original barrels where the Savage round S or Stevens square S is  struck wrong and ends up looking like a U or an improperly struck small O. Also on M1 barrels the P indicating the barrel is proofed could be right side up or upside down when viewed from the receiver end, and an inch or more from the rear edge of the barrel where it contacts the receiver…

Bob

• Like 1

Lawman,

I suggest you try to make it to a Thompson show / shoot this summer. TCA is in April, and TATA is in August. There are recent threads about each event.

At these shows, you will find one gentleman who has tons of NOS parts for Thompsons. Many in the wrappers.  I too will have $40K worth of parts, pieces, and dummy guns for sale as well. You can usually source all the parts you want. I know there will probably be a Colt bolt if it is not sold yet on GB. So you can find almost any parts you want.

And - there will be several knowledgeable folks there at both shows who will be happy to examine your gun and identify parts for you.

Lawman9328,

To answer your question just about the World War II manufactured parts would make a chapter in a book. Wait! That book has been published. I always recommend Frank Iannamico's, American Thunder, Third Edition, to those with basic questions on the Thompson submachine gun. This book specializes on the World War II Thompson guns, parts and accessories but also includes an excellent overview of the Colt and later era Thompson guns. The book is a steal at 40 bucks.

Now a few words to the wise:

Virginia is not that far from Ohio. Follow the advice by long time forum member giantpanda4 and join one or both Thompson associations and come to a Show & Shoot. If you like Thompson guns, there are no better events in the world. I guarantee a good time. 

If you do not shoot your Thompson daily, the chance of you needing any spare parts is slim to almost none. Yes, I know gun collectors have to have spare parts. It is part of their DNA (me included). But in reality, there is no rush to buy anything. Be a knowledgeable shopper and first buy only a few parts that you may actually need, i.e., extractor, ejector, hammer, hammer pin, rocker, recoil spring (if for a Model 1928) and an extra polyurethane buffer disc (not to use but to sell to a friend that needs one). 

Quoting Tom, "if you do not shoot your Thompson daily, the chance of you needing any spare parts is slim to almost none".

Despite being in the UK, so all our Thompson's are deactivated, there is zero chance of shooting them at all..... However, I still bought a number of spare parts a few years ago. The reason, they were to compliment my Gordon Herigstad spare parts container, I am a Thompson addict🤫 

I still had to settle on WW2 NOS parts, as Colt ones would be out of my budget, if I could find them.

This week, I also found another source of WW2 parts in Belgium, so even in Europe they are available.

Edited by rpbcps
Typo...