Sten MK II & the Gerat Potsdam

I think I might have more luck on the Sten Board than the German MP40 board.

#1. Is there a known beginning and end to the British Sten MK II serial numbers?

I know there are multiple manufacturers. Is there a prefix and/or suffix in that serial number range?

I would think that series of serial numbers were assigned to each manufacturer to use, so there should be a beginning and end to the serial number range of MK II's.

#2. Is there a known beginning and end to the Gerat Potsadm (Sten MK II copies) serial numbers?

Is there a prefix or suffix with them?

Thanx,

Tim

• Like 1

If you're trying to figure out if the gun in the auction is German.....it is not.    The German guns generally have very few markings and are not serial numbered from what I've seen and construction is completely different.  The little article they show is bogus.  

Sten machine carbine book has most of the info you are looking for along with a number of other books.  Most of what's in the books is not available on the net for a number of reasons. 

• Like 1

I too looked at the STEN MK2 in that auction, according to the book on STEN's the markings indicate that particular gun was made in Fazakerly late in the war.
Soldier that brought it home probably did capture it from the Germans.
I have read that the Germans collected many thousands of STEN guns from the containers the RAF dropped on France intended for the resistance.
They used those guns to arm the "security forces" that occupied the countries they captured.

There are only 2 know examples of Gerat Potsdam, and the magazine housing and barrel nut are quite distinctive.

Another case of buy the gun, not the story.

Richard

On 3/17/2023 at 1:05 AM, Tim Alexander said:

And this:

Sten & Sterling Submachine Gun Reference Section

doesn't help.

Everything that I tried to access brings up a page that says "URL NOT FOUND".

If you copy and paste the links they will open.  It’s a result of a board migration/upgrade recently.  Not ideal, but it’s going to take time to restore all the content in the pinned posts.  It can be accessed via copy and paste

Ron

On 3/17/2023 at 11:50 PM, APEXgunparts said:

I too looked at the STEN MK2 in that auction, according to the book on STEN's the markings indicate that particular gun was made in Fazakerly late in the war.
Soldier that brought it home probably did capture it from the Germans.
I have read that the Germans collected many thousands of STEN guns from the containers the RAF dropped on France intended for the resistance.
They used those guns to arm the "security forces" that occupied the countries they captured.

There are only 2 know examples of Gerat Potsdam, and the magazine housing and barrel nut are quite distinctive.

Another case of buy the gun, not the story.

Richard

Likewise there are pictures of German soldiers armed with Thompson guns, incl. model of 1921's captured following the French surrender.