PPSH41 drums and pouches

You showed me yours. here are mine

20230321_190143.jpg20230321_190606.jpg20230321_190211.jpg

Two of the drums are Molot (Russian) the others have no discernible markings.  I believe the web gear is Polish as are the slab sided mags.  There are no markings on the canvas stuff and the mags each have a small number stamped on the collar.  The ribbed mags are of unknown origin but some have a S/N electro penciled on them which is typically Russian

Very nice collection of mags and pouches! I also believe the slab side mags are Polish. The wartime mags are very thin that i have and dent and deform easily. The Polish mags are super strong and work well even with 9mm ammo.  The polish made Ak's were super nice and very well made. I have all polish parts in my gun now for shooting.

13 hours ago, Roland the Thompsongunner said:

Very nice collection of mags and pouches! I also believe the slab side mags are Polish. The wartime mags are very thin that i have and dent and deform easily. The Polish mags are super strong and work well even with 9mm ammo.  The polish made Ak's were super nice and very well made. I have all polish parts in my gun now for shooting.

I too have a number of drums and plenty of stick mags, however what I was told (by whom and where I cannot remember) that the slab side units were early war, thicker metal and stronger, and the ribbed versions came later, thinner metal but ribbed to add strength.

I have both types.

My drum mags (two out of five) match the gun from a factory standpoint (Star gun/Star drum) and both fit and function well. I also have two still in post war cosmoline.

Not an expert on the mags but I know the flared out top style you see in my pics are the first type of stick mag made and they are ribbed and very thin. I think a couple of the others that are ribbed are also the early type but the top is not flared. Then I have several star and shield marked flat side mags which I believe are late war design. The unmarked flat sides that are very robust are definitely Polish made. Some of the other marked stick mags may be Hungarian made. Most of their drums have 01 markings 

Edited by Roland the Thompsongunner

Most of my stick mags are like the one on the top.  The electropenciled number screams "Russian"

I have a couple like the one below it on which the stop tabs appear to be welded to rather than bent out from the collar. 

i doubt that the Russians would have taken this extra manufacturing step.  Any guess as to origin?

20230322_181258.jpg

I would say that the top one is Russian. The second not sure. Here are close ups of three types I have. The first is definitely Russian, the middle one has a KW on the side towards the bottom?? The third has a 26 in a circle at the bottom. Not sure on that one either 

FEA3354F-17B4-4023-B53B-EE41857A776E.jpeg

So here are mine. Very easy to tell the difference between early and late production, as the mags themselves got incredibly simpler and less complex. Metal is thinner, mag stop ears were pressed out of a single piece, upper mag portion is formed from one single slab, mag stops are shorter and the overall quality is much less. But... they all fit and work well!

PPSH early v late spine.jpg

PPSH early v late top.jpg

PPSH early v late.jpg

PPSH late stamped.jpg

PPSH Mags.jpg

PPSH early v late back.jpg

On 3/24/2023 at 3:19 PM, RoscoeTurner said:

Sometime ago I posted a chart on here showing the different nationalities of PPSH magazines but I have not been able to find it again.

Chop chop! That info is needed!