How do I grease the 39 round drum magazine?

Like the title says, I have a 39 round drum magazine that came with the West Hurley I inherited from my father. It looks as if it has never had any sort of lubrication. It has a solid spindle. So do I just slather the inner drum with grease or is there a more methodical procedure?  Any recommendations on the type of grease?  Thank you in advance. 

• 3 weeks later...

You can’t grease the interior of the rotor on the 39 round drums with the solid spindle.  Also don’t slather the interior of the body with grease, it will not do anything but “gum up” the  interior guide rails.

Get one of the current replica drums (I don’t have one so I am not sure who is currently making them) they work fine And you can grease the interior of the rotor.

Light oil on rails that's it what you think troops in WW2 and Marines on the islands landed with grease tubes for all the drums never happened.AND I AM SURE in the winter season. they wanted all those drums with solidified gummy grease so the drums worked real well. that is how it is. Shooters and collectors today started all the woe is me with Drums and guns.that is all plain and simple.post-504-0-02846800-1620686508_thumb.jpg

2 hours ago, colt21a said:

Light oil on rails that's it what you think troops in WW2 and Marines on the islands landed with grease tubes for all the drums never happened.AND I AM SURE in the winter season. they wanted all those drums with solidified gummy grease so the drums worked real well. that is how it is. Shooters and collectors today started all the woe is me with Drums and guns.that is all plain and simple.post-504-0-02846800-1620686508_thumb.jpg

My favourite drum photo from WW2

Loading L Drum.JPG

Quoting Roger in this post:

“These drums were originally designed and made by MGC to feed cap-firing cartridges into their cap-firing reproduction guns.  Those cap-firing cartridges are slightly smaller diameter than a standard 45ACP cartridge, and also much lighter in weight, since they did not have a 230g projectile sitting on top.  There are little tabs that stick out from the rotor body to push the rounds around the outer the drum to the feed lips”.

If they were originally designed to feed cap firing cartridges for reproduction cap-firing guns, were they ever designed to be greased? As you can see from Uncle Dudleys photos of the internals of the XL drums, they are obviously not the same as regular L drums.

Edited by rpbcps
Added text

One of those {I think they used 4} in that great classic was one of mine. it was rebarreled at MGM. THEY INCLUDED THE BARREL WITH BLANK COMP in the hardcase When i bought it .it also was in Never so Few. and The Big house.AND A FEW NOT SO FAMOUS PICS. Besides having the Mason city {POLICE} Dillinger mar,13th 1934 1921ac and a few other well known ones.War in Illinois guns.it is all fun.

never greased up any drums in 50 years. However a wes hurlee.test range gun seemed to jam with sticks or drums. so went to a beater 21a for tests and range shooting. Over 35 years ago i had talked to a few of the guys at M.G.M. Now they are all long gone.just like the lots.and many of the stages.post-504-0-38337900-1619027196_thumb.jpg

On 4/15/2023 at 7:15 AM, gijive said:

You can’t grease the interior of the rotor on the 39 round drums with the solid spindle.  Also don’t slather the interior of the body with grease, it will not do anything but “gum up” the  interior guide rails.

Get one of the current replica drums (I don’t have one so I am not sure who is currently making them) they work fine And you can grease the interior of the rotor.

For aftermarket brands, I found the GPC from Numrich work great. Also Linemount also makes a good drum too. I actually ran them without grease and they worked. Now I run them greased.

I also purchased one from Waffenmeisters but haven't tried it yet, but they look similar to the ones from Linemount (if I remember correctly).