Actuator Question

I picked a 21/28 Colt that has a nice original two piece actuator.  The barrel was pretty leaded, it's been fired a lot.

I sourced a "new manufacture" one piece actuator as I'm going to shoot this a bit.  (most of my shooting will be with my M1 as it isn't as collectable)

I grabbed a scale and noticed that the new one pc actuator is heavier.  Not surprised.  I'm guessing that will slow down the rate of fire, and not sure if it will impact the spring.

Should I look for a different spring?  I can mill out some metal on the new actuator to reduce the weight/mass (like the riveted/holes on the 2pc).

Finally, I'm going to assume that the 21/28 has a slower rate of fire than the '21.  Are '21 type actuators/pilots/springs available to drop in?

Thank you.

Varminter,

Yes, the heavier 1928 Actuator has a slower rate of dire than the 1921 Actuator.  The spring and pilot/buffer are different.  Don't do anything to the 1928 Actuator you purchased just put it in the gun and shoot it.  It will be fine.

PK has his own version of a drop-in 21 buffer assembly, but I am not sure if it comes with a milled down 28 actuator or you'd need your own.  He also has replacement 1928 buffer pilot replacements for the old red ones which I'd recommend.  He may have springs too, as does Wolff Springs.

Have fun,

Since you are dealing with a 1928 Navy Overstamp, I would also pull the Colt era bolt pilot, and lock, as well as the actuator. Use  GI a bolt and parts - they will function exactly the same.

I have seen a few bolts get scraped up on the bottom from probably dragging on the sear etc. Probably worth swapping in GI stuff now for the precious Colt stuff.

If you contact PK, he will let you know when/if he will set up to mill 28 actuators into 21 spec actuators. You supply the actuator and he will mill it, supply a spring, buffer and pilot all as one package. We'll worth doing. 

• dalbert changed the title to Actuator Question