Recreating Cutts compensator

I am doing a recreation of the Cutts compensator. I have a print calling out a 46 deg dovetail. This translates to a 67 deg dovetail cutter.???? I can't verify the originality of the print but the sights off an original and a Kahr do appear to match that. Right now there are 80 of these on the bench waiting for that dovetail. Anyone know who could tell me? Doug Richardson has passed and I don't know who got the prints.

From your drawing, I would agree that the toe of the cut is 67 degrees from horizontal and 23 degree from vertical.  I don't know what the original angles were, but the sight you have looks to be the same as the cutts and sight I have.

Cutts.JPG

Edited by Chip

Thanks Phil. It seems the print I have is accurate. I wonder if the dovetail cutter exists somewhere?  My tig instructor gave me a company in CA , H&L Precision grinding. I'll. give them a shout for a quote. Any other leads would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Chip has got it right here. I made a mistake - 46 degrees is not the angle of the

cutter, it is the included angle of both side of the dovetail. So I think you are going

to need a custom grind for this. See photos - the dovetail in an original comp is clearly

not as sharp as your sample. And I put an angle gage on one side of the dovetail and

it sure is close to 67 degrees.

Bob

IMG_3466.JPG

IMG_3469.JPG

IMG_3468.JPG

I've found 36 degree cutters and will try one. The included angle throws me. I have yet to find a company description using included angle. If Laurencen knows of a source I would like to see. Since this intended to be a drive fit, it may be acceptable using 36 degrees. Now finding available sights at a reasonable price may be a challenge also. 

hi choppero, take a look at Harvey tool, here is a link ,https://www.harveytool.com/products/dovetail-cutters---parker-hannifin-o-ring-dovetail-cutters-with-drop-hole-allowance they show 48 degree included angle cutters

what machine are you cutting the dovetail on, if a 4 axis CNC chuck the comp in the rotary axis use a standard cutter and rotate it to get the right angle, 

Good source laurencen. In stock 2 flute coated or uncoated. I am cutting on a 4 axis using collet. With the correct angle cutter I need only make my 1/4" relief cut and cut straight in. Frankly I had not considered rotary comp. For 1 off that is handy to remember. Thanks.

th?id=OIP.Cc2n37DUvjvMl67FKR9WAwHaFf&pid

I notice that the pistol slide dovetail angles are measured "down to the slide" like this ATI.

So the Thompson compensator would be "67-degrees", right?

Surely there is a pistol dovetail cutter that matches this closely enough ("Drive fit").    ... Phil

It seems you have experience with CNC laurencen. I have not used a 2 flute dovetail cutter before. Harvy tools has a good tech department and speed and feed charts. 2 flutes, it would seem, have greater flute strength. I'd really hate snapping a $104 cutter out of ignorance. any advice? I appreciate your input here.

Edited by choppero

2 flute is no different to 2 flute end mills, if it were me I would make a pass with a slot drill then use the cutter to remove the angled face, way less load on the cutter.

$104 is not that bad just use lots of fluid to get chips away dovetail cutters do tend to plug up easier than standard milling cutters

The other thing with a dovetail cutter to keep in mind is it’s better to rough the slot in with a standard endmill and then cut the corners out with the dovetail. The key is to not go too wide on the roughing. You only want to clear out the center. Leave .005-.010 on the bottom for it to clean up. I’ve cut several pistol slides and custom red dot mounting plates this way and it works well. 

Feeds and speeds, that all depends on the material, tooling holder, material holding and machine. A chart will o Lt get you so far, but what the “chart” says will work, doesn’t always translate to real life…been there, learned that. 

• Like 1

All great advice. I had planned on using a 1/4 endmill as is called out in the print. I too have cut many dovetails in barrels and slides always with a slot. But not often into a pocket. The tech at Harvey indicated that it may take 2 to 3 passes each side. 

Edited by choppero