Waffenmeister actuator test

20230515_154102.jpg20230515_154117.jpg

I had two of the waffenmeister actuators come into my hands.  I modified one to 1921 status.   The steel is very hard.  Like their gripmounts.  It appears to be cast steel.  Took twice as long to make as a standard gi actuator.  

Good to know Dan thanks for posting. I've eyed those from time to time as I'm on your wait list to have two 28's cut down to 21's. Sounds like it's an easier task for you if surplus GI 28's are used, and less prone to breakage with those I'd guess since they are not cast.

If the Waffenmeister 1928 actuator is cast steel, can it be as durable as a milled USGI 1928 actuator? I know the cast West Hurley 1928 actuators are junk. That said, can a cast part manufactured today be just as good as a milled part manufactured during World War II.

I am also curious if the Waffenmeister 1928 actuator is manufactured to USGI specifications. 

3 hours ago, TD. said:

If the Waffenmeister 1928 actuator is cast steel, can it be as durable as a milled USGI 1928 actuator? I know the cast West Hurley 1928 actuators are junk. That said, can a cast part manufactured today be just as good as a milled part manufactured during World War II.

I am also curious if the Waffenmeister 1928 actuator is manufactured to USGI specifications. 

TD,

That would be a good question to ask someone at Ruger firearms.

They make all kinds of high pressure rifle and revolver receivers out of castings.

Jim C

Ruger uses investment casting. That's a whole 'nother animal.  The end result is the same as if it were machined from billet only a lot less expensive.

I sent Waffenmeisters an email asking about the manufacturing process and material.  Let's see what they say

I would guess they are cast too.   The gripmounts are almost impossible to drill through.  (Like for quick change barrel option set screw).  They are good quality.  

I like the actuators.  They are well made and if, like a quality ruger part are made in a similar way, they should be good to use.  

• 2 weeks later...

I got these back today (two Waffenmeister's) from Dan.  Just can't seem to put my Colt 1921/28 down.  Cycles fast and smoothly.  Great work from Dan - very well finished.

He mentioned that since the steel seems harder, who knows if it will last shorter or longer. 

This is going to get expensive.

Thanks Dan!

For $89, this actuator is definitely not overpriced and worth a try if you need a 1928 actuator. I would really like to see someone use one for 1000 rounds, including a few C and L drum dumps, and report back as to the condition of the actuator.

Varminter,

Bring the cut down 21 style Waffenmeister actuator to Tracie's and I will gladly do a C drum dump with it during the free shoot event.

Varminter,

I do hope you make the Show & Shoot. Aside from meeting you, I would like to take a close look at this actuator. 

Looking at the detail of the knurling if it's not investment cast they would have to been knurled after and if they are as hard as they are saying probly a quality cast .Ruger uses investment cast parts but they are using quality refined metals and been doing it a long time. It's about the materials and attention to details .If they are as hard as said maybe they should be annealed before cutting to 21 configuration and that would make them less brittle and less prone to breakage if they are 4140.Casting can be just as strong as billet and most castings get finish machining lapping ect.For the price I'm buying 2.I will be doing exactly as I say and when I get home hardness reading I will post it before and after anneal.

• Like 1

Looking at the photos it’s clear that the actuator is a machined casting. You can see the striations from endmillng on the top and bottom and see the rougher raw cast finish on the sides. The ball knob looks smoother than the sides so I would guess is machined also.

The poor quality NAC castings used on the West Hurley Thompsons is now almost 50 years ago and to immediately worry that a part made today would be that bad to me makes no sense. The advances in metallurgy and technology have been astonishing. Back then there were no computers, no CNC, etc.

I use the Waffenmeisters grip mounts all the time. They are a quality part and do not have the grainy raw cast finish you see on the sides of the actuator. Whether they are machined from bar stock or machined castings I do not know.

Bob

StrangeRanger,

Since you have opened a dialog with the officials at Waffenmeisters, I am directing this question to you. Buying a 1928 actuator from Waffenmeisters and having it cut down to the 1921 style appears to be a good option for those wanting to have the option of both systems. The quality of their 1928 actuator appears excellent and the price is very reasonable.  Would you contact Waffenmeisters and ask them to consider making and marketing a reproduction 1921 actuator. It seems they have everything in place for this product. Couple a 1921 style Waffenmeisters actuator with a Diamond K Companies (PK.) hybrid 1921/28 buffer pilot and spring and your off the races!  

• 1 month later...

And if they charged $250 for a 21 style why not. what other thing you going to do buy a colt?Seems to me for the small market now that it is for Thompsons today.WITH THE COST OF {THE REAL DEAL} THEY CAN GET THAT DONE AND CHARGE A LITTLE MORE. THEY ARE NOT GOING TO SELL 100'S LET ALONE 1,000'S TO MAKE ANY EXTRA LABOR BACK IN BIG SALES.

> so they upcharge for the 21 model<

When the drum deal was going on with manufacture with Taiwan, i had some input with the deal {since i did the MP-44 MAG DEAL WITH THEM.} THE PRODUCTION WOULD COST $100.00 each for a run of 1,000 drums.i had a backer, since most big talkers wanted nothing to do with taking a order from me for 100 drums for $15,000.

Like the 1000 MP-44 mag order.

so glad others did the homework waffen guys can start making and selling 21's.

I always enjoy these posts of that stuff. Not even sure what the Crosby drums go for after Kahr got involved it all changedpost-504-0-77682700-1609169477_thumb.jpg with marking and status. The first batch had been the ones to buy anyhow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...