Engraving on the 1928A1 and M1A1

today I wanted to engrave the side of a M1A1 dummy upper, did this with a 1928A1 several years ago and figured I would just modify the text

what I noticed the 1928A1 has CALIBRE 45 AUTOMATIC CARTRIDGE and the M1A1 has CALIBER .45 M1A1, why did they change the spelling of Caliber? in all the years I just noticed this.

IMG_20230516_101200_resized_20230516_101444668.jpg

pix645207500.jpg

Many years ago, I read about that change in either 'TUTB' or 'American Thunder'. 

I always wondered why they made a mistake spelling Calibre on the M1 & M1A1s🤫

Lots of words ending in "er" or "re" get them reversed between British and American spellings.  Some like sabre/saber and meter/metre are still used in both versions here; calibre is not among them.  Unlikely though that in 1921 the British spelling was still common in the US .

What I really want to know is where the exrta i in "aluminium" comes from

• Upvote 1

My guess is since the Colt's used the word, "CALIBRE," Auto-Ordnance mandated Savage Arms continue the use for the Model of 1928s. Later, the Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport (AOB) factory adopted the same spelling on the 1928 models. When the M1 was introduced, the American spelling, CALIBER, was adopted. All just guesses...but fun to speculate! 

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/16/2023 at 9:32 PM, TD. said:

My guess is since the Colt's used the word, "CALIBRE," Auto-Ordnance mandated Savage Arms continue the use for the Model of 1928s. Later, the Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport (AOB) factory adopted the same spelling on the 1928 models. When the M1 was introduced, the American spelling, CALIBER, was adopted. All just guesses...but fun to speculate! 

We're all glad to hear some speculation from a man of your...    calibre.

Colt started making guns in 1836, so maybe the spelling "calibre" was considered correct at the time and they just stuck with it into the 1900s out of tradition.  

If I was going to speculate, I would guess that the US military put the kybosh on spelling it "calibre" on the M1A1.   Does the spelling "calibre" appear on any other WWII US weapons?  

The military loves to standardize things.

Edited by Doug Quaid