Spiwak Listed Model 1928 Thompson opinions

I'm looking for opinions on this Model 1928 David has for sale. Price, condition, etc. I've never owned a Thompson but at some point want to add to my collection. Not sure this is the one but looks pretty nice.  Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions.

https://www.davidspiwak.com/gun/colt-thompson-model-1928-in-stunning-condition-with-99-original-blue/

For $59,950 I would certainly want some high-resolution pictures to review. This is the first step in determining if a trip to inspect NO 9407 in person is worth the effort and expense. Also, you really need to understand the product before you spend this much money. I am not saying NO 9407 is not worth the asking price, but there is a lot more to learn about this Colt. For example, the butt stock and L drum. I would also want to peek inside the barrel. 

I would ask for alot more photos.  There should not be bluing in the serial number and U.S.Navy  Those stampings were done after the bluing process.  That may indicate the gun has been reblued and is not the original finish.  Post any more photos that he sends you and post them for comment.  

Good luck on your quest.

55 minutes ago, Sandman1957 said:

I would ask for alot more photos.  There should not be bluing in the serial number and U.S.Navy  Those stampings were done after the bluing process.  That may indicate the gun has been reblued and is not the original finish.  Post any more photos that he sends you and post them for comment.  

Good luck on your quest.

Can you elaborate on serial numbers not being blued? I have never observed that after observing Colt Thompson’s for 40+ years. 

46 minutes ago, inertord said:

Can you elaborate on serial numbers not being blued? I have never observed that after observing Colt Thompson’s for 40+ years. 

He is referring to since the 8 was stamped onto the 1 after having been factory blued, that the metal was disturbed after the initial bluing was done, it may show unblued metal showing it has not been reblued. Spiwack is saying 99% original bluing. 

Tell him to flip open the lyman site and look at the 4 rivets. ALSO WEAR ON THE LOWER RAILS FROM THE BUTTSTOCK GOING ON AND OFF SEEN ONLY 2 in over 50 years with none and #894 was a restore one. and check inside rails of upper and lower. and inside of receiver the actuator will wear a line if even fired a few hundred rounds, and if it ever was in Ohio  transfer.  And check blue on inside stock rails. and of course all the screwheads, along with the stock.restored guns always make them perfect. and i did say restore not some quicky blue job. 

And on that 8 and also Navy have seen many with justa light touch up in those area and many with a slight finish mark.

for $60 g it needs a forensic study. and who was past owner and for how long.and the blue will be off on the rocker pivot versus the frame. Any guy who is a great metallurgist and refinisher/Restore expert will tell you that.Oh yeah and if they have studied and seen and checked out a 1,000 Thompsons.

all unique quirks......GOOD LUCK.

RON K.post-504-0-36389300-1619460868_thumb.jpg

Tex,  If it helps you I live 30 minutes from David spiewack I purchased my West Hurley from him.

If you would like me to go on a fact finding mission for you and take some better pictures, just come up with a list of things you would like addressed.

If so feel free to send me a pm.

Looks like a Craig Jordan with a barrel job. and he never touched the stock. see how nice the grip screws are and of course flip up the lyman sites and check the four rivets.

every Colt was blued under and the site added and riveted after.{was told to me by a line worker at colt who retired in 1945,} who worked on the 21 Colts.

if anybody has proof otherwise that they blued them with sites on produce it please.RON K

Ron,

You make a very interesting observation from someone who has owned a few Colt's. Perhaps we are seeing the same thing...or not.

Who is Craig Jordon? 

He was a master restorer in Pa. and worked for Landies under contract for a long time in his own shop in Pa not in Ohio, A real nice guy.He did #894 for me which came from Reed Knight decades ago a gangster used gun in Florida. and later on Jordan was contacted from N.R.A. TO do a duplicate 21a for display, he used #894 as a model gun for it.

post-504-0-35269800-1616100300_thumb.jpgI am sure somebody from the display has seen it or pictured it over the years.He did many MP-40'S AND MP-38'S AND THOMPSONS,BARS AND OTHER FINE GERMAN GUNS and many a belt feed.He did my "Wild Bunch" watercool.

I know many others which i won't mention here.And he also did mags and drums also, Superior Workmanship. Just as i know Doug Turnbull personally and his work besides having sold a number of Doug's guns, Another nicer guy YOU WON'T FIND IN THE INDUSTRY. more involved with the master Technique  & History of the gun than the $$$ 

Earl had a guy also who he used who i never did meet.since i probably ran across over a 100 or so redone Thompsons. I retired in 2010.But still keep up with all the info.Like yourself you wrote a book to help the masses out there. I am a keeper of over 50 years of travels and people. and firearm deals....I know all the real well knowns

.WHEN I THREW TOGETHER THAT BADLY WRITTEN  JOBBLED TOGETHER THOMPSON QUEST for Tracies  news letter.

>Like this expose here<. and the SCARAMUZZO Thompsons.and the Chicago p.d. guns. it was not refined.

It was all fun.I wish i had writing skill. And to put info down on paper Like in some book like yourself.

Well it's freaking 1am I am out of chocolate milk and white castle burgers i am wearing sunglasses and Chicago is 2400 mile away.

A few Colts! i like that line. You mean 1911's, Thompsons or M-16's.and many a nice AK. dozens of variants. Let's say Hundreds to keep the records correct.Have a good 2023.

RON K.

11 hours ago, TD. said:

Ron,

You make a very interesting observation from someone who has owned a few Colt's. Perhaps we are seeing the same thing...or not.

Who is Craig Jordon? 

He's very well known in the C3 community, mostly for high polished blued guns.  Not sure he's still in the game, could be retired?  There are a lot of water cooled colts he did with high polish finishes that shine like a diamond if you're into that sort of thing.    The majority of colt Thompsons have been refinished at some point now.  Original finish guns get rarer by the day.  How do you tell?  Lots of ways and nuances to check for, but the reality is, does it look 100 years old at first glance, if not it's been redone.  I have a lot of 100 YO guns including a Colt, and only the refinished few look like this gun. Bluing from that time period is no longer 100% blue, but savvy refinishers can also antique the new finish...which I've done, but isn't a popular thing on MG's......yet.

Market pricing as of late, rates refinished guns bring higher sales prices despite collectors saying they will pay more for original Colts.

• Like 2