Thought I found a bargain S&W 76, but no

On 5/23/2023 at 12:38 PM, StrangeRanger said:

Then there's the other end of the Sten quality spectrum

(Warning clicking on this link may cause uncontrollable nausea)

https://gunspot.com/auction/10066/sten-mkii-transferable-machine-gun/

Atrocious markings notwithstanding...I've seen much worse for build quality.  It appears this one was built "right" in that the new tube extends thru the rear ring vs being cut short and butted and welded up against the rear ring...leaving the old tube remnant in place.  It looks like someone dressed the welds without  refinish...that's a mistake cause it makes the gun look like sh*t.  It is a tube gun and everyone has priorities...I'd rather have a fugly gun that runs, vs a better looking one that doesn't.

16 hours ago, Got Uzi said:

I’d say $5k is max on it as it would need some work to make it into a decent gun. The welds need ground out and redone. I’m kicking around bidding on it so I could redo it myself. 

IMO, that'd be a huge steal in today's market.  I'd predict it'll go for a few more thousand than that.  To me it's a visit to Andrewski away from being a solid STEN...again, those atrocious markings notwithstanding, though I'd bet John could do something with those as well.

5 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

Here's what a $10K Sten looks like (not mine, don't know the seller but it's a DLO not a "Richie") https://www.gunbroker.com/item/988943257

Another STEN that appears to have been built "right" and looks good as well.  The only downside to the DLO STENs is that they were marked / serialized on the lower and not the tube...which means it'll never be anything but a Mk2.

Edited by hkg3k

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still looking for a good model 76, there are several on autoweapons.com, and the prices don't seem all that out of line.  I read an old thread on this forum about the reputation and behavior of the owner, but the latest posts were five years old, so I don't know if the same person is in charge as previously.  There's a NIB gun he has listed for $22k, which is a bit high but then it is advertised as brand new, original box, manual, etc.  The others are $17-18K which is pretty close to what they seem to be running now. The old reviews mostly said the prices were 20-25% higher than market, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. There's one on GB currently at $19,500 but it has 3 original mags, and a parts kit  including bolt, barrel, etc.  Taking all that into consideration the price is probably about right, but then that is the opening bid and it has ten days yet to go, so who knows what the final bid will be.  I'm still looking and have no deadline so any leads will be appreciated.  Also any updates on the Autoweapons site are welcome.  

Edited by BillinBama
typos

On 6/2/2023 at 8:16 PM, BillinBama said:

I'm still looking for a good model 76, there are several on autoweapons.com, and the prices don't seem all that out of line.  I read an old thread on this forum about the reputation and behavior of the owner, but the latest posts were five years old, so I don't know if the same person is in charge as previously.  There's a NIB gun he has listed for $22k, which is a bit high but then it is advertised as brand new, original box, manual, etc.  The others are $17-18K which is pretty close to what they seem to be running now. The old reviews mostly said the prices were 20-25% higher than market, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. There's one on GB currently at $19,500 but it has 3 original mags, and a parts kit  including bolt, barrel, etc.  Taking all that into consideration the price is probably about right, but then that is the opening bid and it has ten days yet to go, so who knows what the final bid will be.  I'm still looking and have no deadline so any leads will be appreciated.  Also any updates on the Autoweapons site are welcome.  

Remember.... you never pay too much!

1 hour ago, Rekraps said:

Remember.... you never pay too much!

Yep, just buy too soon!