Ratchet spring (barrel nut retaining spring) needed

Hello,

I am in search of m3 or m3a1 ratchet spring which keeps the barrel nut from loosening.  If anyone can recommend a source, it will be greatly appreciated.  Otherwise, I may have some reproduced.  Is there a market for reproduction ratchet springs?  Anyone else in need of them?

So you're talking about having some of the second model barrel-ratchet-springs (catches) made (?)........maybe think of some of the first-model too (?). (For owners wanting to take their M3 back to "as-issued" condition.).

On a side note.....there was a guy out in California that had a gun-parts-business that had some for sale along with rivets. Name was John ___________ (?) from what I recall.

Last, while you are sourcing the making of the springs.....what about a short run of the "bucking-bars" to back up the rivets when "setting" them. I believe that the drawing for these is in the TM - _____________ - 35.

Early Barrel-Catch-Spring:

M3-Grease-Gun-Early-Barrel-Catch.jpg

18 hours ago, Annihilator said:

I have a few

I own a M3 but hate the spring... very hard on my poor old fingers. Do you have a type two for sale? If so, how much?

I guess these would be type 2?  Would seem to be easier to stick a knife blade into to release much easier? 

I don't know that I would ever change it out unless absolutely necessary.  Would seem to be a lot of work to buck the rivets and mess with the whole thing?  Quite a number have been damaged due to DEWAT welding, so they all need fixing.

20230525_200305[1].jpg

20230525_200312[1].jpg

great point. I forgot they were riveted to the gun. Shit. My fingers still pain me every time I remove my barrel.

On 5/25/2023 at 9:18 PM, johnsonlmg41 said:

I guess these would be type 2?  Would seem to be easier to stick a knife blade into to release much easier? 

I don't know that I would ever change it out unless absolutely necessary.  Would seem to be a lot of work to buck the rivets and mess with the whole thing?  Quite a number have been damaged due to DEWAT welding, so they all need fixing.

20230525_200305[1].jpg

20230525_200312[1].jpg

Use the small screwdriver you always keep in your pocket when shooting full auto (to remove a stovepipe) to depress the lever and save your fingers. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wanted to say thanks to Johnsonlmg41 for the ratchet springs and thanks to NFA Sales for the original steel rivets.  I am attaching some photos of the rivet installation tool that I found which worked great.  The tool cost less than the M3 gunsmith was going to charge to install rivets and when you consider shipping, this probably saved me $550.  It was a relatively easy job.  The hardest part was using heavy tape to pull the ratchet spring up tight against mag well prior to riveting.

20230728_170137.jpg

20230728_170143.jpg

20230728_170154.jpg

• Like 1