My re-stocked Beretta

Last year I bought a Beretta 38/42 from Morphy's that had a stock finished in an incredibly ugly high-gloss urethane.  If you care to you can see the original on Forgotten Weapons where Ian did both a bench exam and a field test of this exact gun and even commented on the ugly stock finish

I picked up a well worn stock that was included in a parts kit and sent it to Dan Block (deerslayer).  I wanted to preserve its character so I asked him not to make it pretty but simply remove all the embedded dirt and grime, reinforce one old crack repair but to the extent possible leave all the nicks, dents and scratches intact and to refinish it with a military oil finish.  Here's the end result.  I think Dan nailed it.  I couldn't be happier

20240408_115723.jpg20240408_115757.jpg

Gotta love a gun that looks great while still showing the "good honest wear" of a service weapon!

Ran into the same thing you describe with my Lanchester and M1A1, a previous owner had to make the wood shiny!
It took a while to find the right Lanchester stock.

I have the same Beretta and it is a pleasure to shoot.

Richard

RCH firing 1 resize.jpg

On 4/8/2024 at 12:20 PM, StrangeRanger said:

Last year I bought a Beretta 38/42 from Morphy's that had a stock finished in an incredibly ugly high-gloss urethane.  If you care to you can see the original on Forgotten Weapons where Ian did both a bench exam and a field test of this exact gun and even commented on the ugly stock finish

I picked up a well worn stock that was included in a parts kit and sent it to Dan Block (deerslayer).  I wanted to preserve its character so I asked him not to make it pretty but simply remove all the embedded dirt and grime, reinforce one old crack repair but to the extent possible leave all the nicks, dents and scratches intact and to refinish it with a military oil finish.  Here's the end result.  I think Dan nailed it.  I couldn't be happier

20240408_115723.jpg20240408_115757.jpg

Very nice gun. Just amazing that these things still exist. I see pics all the time of stacks of guns after WW2 being bulldozed into pits... I even saw a pic of a bulldozer in the Philippines destroying P38's!

On 4/10/2024 at 8:53 AM, StrangeRanger said:

Just like they beached and burned most of the PT boats because it wasn't worth transporting them back to the US

The destruction of those is probably the single biggest loss to museums and collectors. I see (saw) somewhere that there is one original hull that was found and is being restored.

Posted (edited)

The Packard V8s alone are big $$$ if they're restorable.

When they made the movie PT109 they couldn't find any PTs so they had to dummy a couple of IIRC air-sea rescue boats

Edited by StrangeRanger