Springs? Looking for advice.

I have a M1A1 shooter and I love shooting it. I have no idea how old the spring and buffer are. Should I worry? It is running fine. Where do I get a new spring and buffer? Looking for advice.

Although I don't own a M1A1, i would assume that the advice delivered by various Forum members will apply. If the gun shoots well, leave it be. But, look on GB for replacement mainsprings and buffers, then periodically place yours side by side with the replacement spring. If it matches well in length and shows no sign of coil wear, you are good to go. As to the buffer, I'll let my fellow TSMG owners comment. 

• Like 2

Gnat,

Excellent question. Like most gun owners, I like to have extra or replacement parts available should something break or wear out. I found this very important when shooting Remington 1100 shotguns for skeet. Guns do break, especially if used on a regular basis. Most Thompson owners do not shoot their Thompson guns on a weekly or even a monthly basis. Yes some members do, i.e., the TUSCO Rifle Club members where the Thompson Collector's Association (TCA) Show and Shoot is held every year is a good example (great range facility). If your Thompson is running great, I would leave it alone (but keep it clean and lubricated). That said, one replacement USGI recoil spring, buffer and a set of springs for the frame are certainly cheap enough to have on hand should the need arise. My guess is the need will never arise but it is a good insurance policy. The problem with buying springs on gunbroker or a gun show is you never know if the springs are really new. Board member Phil Askew sells NOS USGI Thompson springs and parts at very reasonable prices. I have a set for my 1928 West Hurley that I will probably never need, but I feel better just having them. Phil can be reached at:

philfordparts@yahoo.com

Or join The American Thompson Association (TATA) and come to the Hill family All Thompson Show & Shoot later this year and buy directly from Phil, thus saving postage costs. I guarantee a great time!

• Like 1

If you arent sure of its life span or how long it has been in the gun, its a no brainer to swap it out.  A combination of $50-$75 at MOST when talking about a gun that is $25K or more.....is this even a question?  Swap it out, confirm it runs, and keep a record going forward.  I got to the point on my shooters I would change the springs out every season...pretty cheap insurance policy for an expensive item.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TD. said:

Gnat,

Excellent question. Like most gun owners, I like to have extra or replacement parts available should something break or wear out. I found this very important when shooting Remington 1100 shotguns for skeet. Guns do break, especially if used on a regular basis. Most Thompson owners do not shoot their Thompson guns on a weekly or even a monthly basis. Yes some members do, i.e., the TUSCO Rifle Club members where the Thompson Collector's Association (TCA) Show and Shoot is held every year is a good example (great range facility). If your Thompson is running great, I would leave it alone (but keep it clean and lubricated). That said, one replacement USGI recoil spring, buffer and a set of springs for the frame are certainly cheap enough to have on hand should the need arise. My guess is the need will never arise but it is a good insurance policy. The problem with buying springs on gunbroker or a gun show is you never know if the springs are really new. Board member Phil Askew sells NOS USGI Thompson springs and parts at very reasonable prices. I have a set for my 1928 West Hurley that I will probably never need, but I feel better just having them. Phil can be reached at:

philfordparts@yahoo.com

Or join The American Thompson Association (TATA) and come to the Hill family All Thompson Show & Shoot later this year and buy directly from Phil, thus saving postage costs. I guarantee a great time!

I knew you guys would have the answer!

The GI tech manual has a minimum length for used springs, IIRC it is 10.25" (someone please check) and no kinks.  Wolf makes a great '28/M1 recoil spring, and you don't have to worry about where it came from.

• Like 1

As stated by PK, Wolff for springs. They make a 21 spring as well.

• Like 1