Ao-bridgeport M-1 On Sturmgewehr $10k

Evening Folks,

Just saw this over on Sturmgewehr.com. Not an interested party. How long do you think it will last? The price is more reasonable if it a "True AO". Finned barrel and Cut compensator, early USGI?

I wish I had the $$$. But I already have a USGI AO M-1A1 and paid way less. But given the $12 to $15K being asked, it is a deal.

Any opinions?

Paul In PA

WTS THOMPSON M1 AO $10,000

Posted By: Mike (dialup-4.228.222.13.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)

Date: 8/5/04 18:11

Auto Ordnance,Bridgeport Ct. Thompson M1.45 cal.

Finned barrell and cut compensator. The gun was hardly shot. A cop friend of mine bought it in 1965 and he shot it maybe 3 times until I bought it a few years ago.I never shot it because I have another one that I shoot. If you are in Vegas this 9-11,you are welcome to come see the state of the art range.

We are having our Grand Opening on Saturday 9-11-04. There is a poker shoot tournament between the Police,Fire dept,& Citizens. The winners of each class will win a trophy.The grand winner between the three will win a new Glock. It's $ 20.00 to enter.Food,drinks and radio remote. Our range is the only range in the state of Nevada to meet the standards of E.P.A., O.S.H.A.& N.E.O.S.H.

For info call Discount Firearms Inc. 702-567-1158

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale....cgi?read=48018

I called, it was sold.

Edited to add: I called first and it was sold to me. The extremely unethical seller had his wife call me 30 minutes later to back out of the deal. Mike O'Donohue, Discount Firearms, Las Vegas - crawfished out of the deal. Obviously someone called after I did and made a better offer.

Edited by philasteen

QUOTE (snipershot1944 @ Aug 5 2004, 07:18 PM)
that's got to be some kind or record. Throw another log on the fire of Thompson Greed.

I was ready to pony up and I'm pretty much a cheapskate...

No, not what I mean. Something fairly priced selling in about 12 seconds will encourage the rest of us to go for the bigger bucks when we sell something.

Simple economics 101-limited supply, unlimited demand, the price goes up.

Sniper

I didn't coin the phrase Thompson Greed. It just seems to be the mantra on this board when somebody sells something for a big price.

I'm a believer in the free market system. If seller has something that buyer wants, seller has the right to ask whatever price he wants. If buyer wants it, fine, otherwise he can decline. As long as everybody is honest and well informed, let the market set the price.

Bottom line-collecting quality guns is not a cheap hobby anymore. And if you aren't willing or able to run with the big dogs, I guess all you can do is sit on the porch and bark.

I'm doing my part to keep the prices up. I'm selling Garands to pay for NFA weapons. All I really want right now is for some lady in DC to sign one little piece of paper asap so I can go pick up my M1921 A Colt.

Sniper

That is total bullshit!!! Some people have no honor... That sucks... One time I totaly underpriced a Johnson rifle...... I just had no idea of it's value, never having ventured into military stuff at that point... I offered it to a guy and he said he would take it but wouldn't be around for a week so I accepted... Meanwhile back at the ranch thru friends I figgered out I was screwin myself out of hundreds of dollars.... But I still sold it to him at the offered price.... If you lose the value of your word you have nothing... You are less than pond scum, and are to trusted again NEVER.....

Phil-that's just wrong. I think that I'd have to dial up the bum tomorrow and give him a little lesson in business ethics.

And if one of us was the guy who talked the seller into crawfishing on the deal, shame on you too!

Sniper

Let your attorney write him a letter about crawfishing and a suit for specific performance ofthe deal.

Ken

It has been a long time since I had law school, but I belive the Statute of Frauds requires that a contract be in writing to be enforcable if the $$ amount is over $500, or takes longer than a year to complete, in other words, a verbal agreement means squat, legally.

Doug

I believe that you are correct. If somebody promises you something verbally, all you have is the value of their honor and word. In this instance, you don't have Jack. The only way to handle dealing with a crook is not to deal with him again. And by making this public to the collector group, you've done about all you can do.

I'd like to hear what (if any) justification this guy has for backing out on the deal (other than greed).

Sniper

Depends on the state on value in order to be in writing. For example, Tennessee is $10,000 before the statute kicks in.

Obviously, state law varies and he should check. He should write a letter just because.

Ken

i have had this happen alot,and in the past five year's it's more and more...........because of this greed factor.......yep thats right.............the word mean's squat......and in todays nutcase market,it get's even worse...........

however i am the guy who bought it for $13,500.00wink!!

and i plan on selling it for $25,768.90

ha!ha! had you all going huh??

i just had a package worked out with another guy on six colt's.........considering if i never sold them to him he probably would never have any.the prices would be good to him.three times what he paid me back when........and i had dib's on them if ever ever decided to sell.......

well now it seems the prices are going to be raised another $30,000 or so..........

see i'm from the southside chicago train of thought.....if you are going to get ripped.......at least get a ..............in the process.........

so i am passing on the deal.

it seems this mike guy sold it or said he would to a board member then back stepped and figured later,this is too cheap WOW i got twenty e-mail's to buy it..............

do they ever figure e-mail response.......if it is around correct market it move's......if not it sit's DUH!!!stock's bond's, real esate, um GOLD!!nice car's and cycle's...

and i guess if he priced it at $15,000.00 the response would be less then half.

i saw the same ad the hour it was up.........and i responded to anther for a m1a1 for $5,500.00>of course that one was gone in the same hour..........

yep don coyote chasin windermill's wink!!

good luck guys with future seller's.......... take care,ron

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Aug 5 2004, 11:17 PM)
That is total bullshit!!! Some people have no honor... That sucks... One time I totaly underpriced a Johnson rifle...... I just had no idea of it's value, never having ventured into military stuff at that point... I offered it to a guy and he said he would take it but wouldn't be around for a week so I accepted... Meanwhile back at the ranch thru friends I figgered out I was screwin myself out of hundreds of dollars.... But I still sold it to him at the offered price.... If you lose the value of your word you have nothing... You are less than pond scum, and are to trusted again NEVER.....

I totally agree with that, Z3BigDaddy. It seems that the almighty dollar almost always takes precedence in any business deal today. In other words, most people out there are unethical...pond scum! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif It is truly unfortunate when one must constantly watch his back, for fear of being 'stabbed in the back'!!! You have everyone from Ken Lay, at Enron, down to the lowliest carpet-layer out there trying to skim off a few extra bucks from the unsuspecting, decent, upright citizen. It is disgusting!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter

I agree with most of the above. When you put something out there for sale with x price you better be ready to sell it. It is the responsibility of the seller to be up on current market value and if he is a man of honor he should follow through with what he said. You price something, you should know your stuff on it. Crawfishing is chickenshit, period.

A few weeks ago at a local show on a Saturday, a guy had an MP 44 on his table for $7k. Looked like a nice piece and a friend there with us throws down half for a 50/50 deal. Dude also has a an HK sear for $5k, friend puts money on that too. Yes, two absolutely smoking deals.

Y'all already know where this is going....

Yep, guess what? Come Monday morning dude crawfished. After receiving money and shaking hands on the deal.

Yes, he was way underpriced, but he should have known his shit before putting goods on the table for sale.