Grip Mount Same Width On 1928 As M1?

Wanted to mount a M1 horizontal front grip in my WH 1928 and had ordered one each of those Sportsman Guide horizontal and vertical grips. Today I started to put it on my gun and the cut out for the grip mount on both of the Sportsman Guide grips is 1/2 inch wide while my 1928 mount is 3/4 inch wide. Are the late model WH 1928's fitted with a special size mount or are the Sportsman Guide grips cut incorrectly? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Buffalo Jones

Later model WH 28's came with a 3/4 inch gripmount. The earlier made guns had the 1/2 inch gripmount.

When WH ran out of 1/2 inch gripmounts, they started using 3/4 inch mounts. I think the 3/4 in grip mount is made of alloy.

The only way to change it out is to remove the barrel! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Norm

If it is an aluminum alloy gripmount, it will flex if you put enough pressure on it.

The steel ones (1/2) will also flex (given enough force), but are the more desirable mount to have.

Unless you are good at gunsmithing, I do not recomend trying to remove the barrel. It is torqued on and is hard to get off (without causing damage to the barrel, or receiver http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif .)

I would wait for another member to verify this, but I think you can use a kahr M1 semiauto fron grip. It is 3/4 inch.

Norm

The original ½” grip mounts were made of milled, hardened steel and had a bend that put positive pressure on the barrel, keeping the foregrip tight. Later model GI milled grip mounts were neutral as were the fabricated GI M1 parts. The ¾” WH and later parts were made from aluminum, soft steel and hardened steel (current Kahr production) and don’t touch the barrel, allowing the spring board effect you describe.

All the horizontal foregrips I have seen with ¾” slots have been GI parts that are reworked. This includes current Kahr production. Keep in mind that the barrel contour is not the same for the semi guns as the SMG’s, a semi foregrip will have large gaps around the barrel if used on an SMG

www.e-gunparts.com carries both a Horizontal and a Vertical that will work with the 3/4" Mount. You must order the one for the 1928, and NOT the SA Version. Reason being the SA 3/4" Horizontal Grip is carved out more, since there are more Fins on a '27A1 Barrel. The Verticals are the same, and available in either 1/2" or 3/4". Better yet, is to change your current Mount over to 1/2", and PK from the boards here did have some of his own manufactured Mounts available.