How Do I Redo The Stock Set On A Mgc Thompson?

Hello. I am deployed to Camp Anoconda, Iraq and with my little free time, we're always busy flying missions, I decided to get back into learning about weapons and fell deep into the thompson. I live in Illinois so I cannot owe a real Thompson, so I just bought, as a gift to myself for this deployment, a Model Gun Company 1921 Thompson blank firing, new with the rare 50 Round Drum.

The stock set stain doesn't all match....... The pistol grip is a different color stain the the rest of the stock set. How do I strip down the stocks an get them ready for restaining? I want to refinish in the reddish stain, (like the picture of the Thompson on this board), how do I do it and where do I get the stain that I guess is like original? What goes on the stocks after the stain?

I want to make this MGC Thompson look like an original 1921 Thompson for a nice wall hanger display and when board have fun shooting the blanks in it..

Appreciate the help guys. Also looking for a West Hurley Semi-Auto to buy from a private owner in Illinois. So if you have one let me know.

Thank you,

Keith

Keith:

Thanks so much for your service.

Now, check the FAQ for some staining info...

Keith:

I'll echo the other gents' thanks for your service in Iraq. I stained my MGC wood to a nice red about 10 years ago, and it still looks nice; but I don't remember how I did it. Hey, that helps a lot, right? Do check the FAQ section on the board for staining info. Deerslayer, if you have time, maybe you can cut to the quick and help out our new member.

Ron Mills

Northern Illinois

You've probably checked the FAQ's by now, but get some oven cleaner and spray down the wood, let it sit for a while, then take steel wool and water and rub away. Removes finish and old oils really well. You'll need to do a little sanding after that. Stain and finish. It seems like MGC wood is often quite light in color. Hard to tell what species of wood was used. While most purists will insist on linseed oil, I really like birchwood casey true oil finish the best.

Best wishes,

Dan