Hemingway In The Battle Of The Hurtgen Forest

I thought that this was pretty cool..In November,Ernest finally got a chance to see front line action with Lanham's regiment in the Hurtgen forest. He had already been in trouble over carrying sidearms (Strictly taboo for a war correspondent). However, he probably saved Lanham's life on November 22nd during a German infantry attack on his headquarters. Lanham's headquarters commandant, Captin. Mitchell, was killed instantly by the hail of bullet fire. Showing his characteristic lack of personal fear, Hemingway charged into the melee, killing several Germans with bursts from a Thompson sub-machine gun and breaking up the attack. So, was this his personal Thompson that he would later use to shoot sharks?

QUOTE (mp40 @ Oct 13 2004, 09:51 PM)
Showing his characteristic lack of personal fear, Hemingway charged into the melee, killing several Germans with bursts from a Thompson sub-machine gun and breaking up the attack. So, was this his personal Thompson that he would later use to shoot sharks?

I doubt it was his personal Thompson shown in the shark shooting picture. That picture was taken prior to WWII, I believe, and clearly looks like a Colt made Thompson. It is unlikely they allowed him to bring it overseas with him and carry it around. The gun was more than likely one of the officer's guns located at the headquarters you describe.

Chuck, do you have that picture? I have searched for it but have only seen it at "The Complete Angler" in Bimini. They have a very old one hanging on the walls of Hemingways room.

Mike,

I sent you an email with the picture attached.

Regarding the model of Thompson in the shark shooting picture, it is clearly a Model 1921A and the picture was taken in Bimini in 1936, so it had to be a Colt gun.

Yes he's dead, yes he was a writer, I can't speak for the fag part. I know he followed the troops and wrote for Colliers's magazine (see [/u]Citizen Soldiers by Stephen Ambrose). I never heard that he got involved in combat or saved anybody's life though. The account in Ambrose' book ain't very complimentary, so this is news to me. He just went up 100 pts in my estimation though if it's true.

Thanks Chuck, got the email. I'm going to work on the picture to print it out. There is also one I have seen of him firing into the water on the docks at some sharks swimming by. It's a action shot with smoke at the front of the gun. Or it's a bad photo. It's hanging on the wall at the Angler in Bimini if anyone gets over there.

http://www.antiquefishingreels.com/photos/fishing/big/MVC-085L.JPG

The ‘action shot’ photo Mike is talking about is one I have seen and would like to see again; anyone have a lead?

Not much smoke and action in that photo, Hawkeye Joe.

Can't say I've ever heard anything about EH having an alternate lifestyle, and he did have a couple of pretty hot granddaughters till the one took after him and off'ed herself. EH swaller'd a shotgun barrel and I believe she used pills.

EH did suffer from bi-polar disorder (used to be called manic-depression) which is where, perhaps, the "bi" confusion has originated. EH is believed to have killed himself while in a severe depressive mode.

I've fished some of the places he wrote about. Didn't have much luck. Based on the bad luck fishing, I've decided not to run with the bulls at Pampalona.

Not much smoke and action in that photo, Hawkeye Joe

Yeah I realize that it's not the one everyone's looking for but it's one that hasn't been posted...

No "smoke and action" but..this one looks more like me passed out with mine in my arms after watching "Sahara".. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

I thought it was a cool shot..

There is a pretty cool book by Dan Simmons called

"The Crook Factory". Although it is a novel, it is based on Hemingway's

proposition to the War department when he was living in Cuba, late thirties, to set up a spy network and use his boat to search around for Nazi subs. It's a good read, and after I checked into it, he did indeed persue this,

running about Havana bay with his boat and Thompson. Quite a rough guy, "Fag" or not. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Zamm

Anyone that lived in the Keys in the 30's was tough. Not like today with roads and planes and hurricane detection centers.

Ken

Old Ernie was a tough old bird no matter how well you liked him or not. Sure he was a bit nutsy, but to travel and do all this bird did back then, well for fucks sake, I'd sell my mother on the black market to have done half of that, then or now. You have to admit, if you like his writing or thought he was a wind bag, he did it all, or damn close. And he has a great looking grand-duaghter!

Here is a stolen yes harredde stolen excerpt..... I wulda paid to see that sperm whale episode... Now he would have to clear out the Greenies with the tsmg before attempting it....

"Even at sea, Hemingway's quarry sometimes took on a hunter's rather than a piscatorial air, one that was often steeped in bravado. He sometimes shot sharks with the Thompson sub-machine gun that he kept on board his ship, the Pilar. With his crew, whom he dubbed the "Crook Factory," he hunted German submarines in the Gulf Stream during World War II. That summer of 1943 for target practice Patrick and Gregory shot flying fish from the bow of the ship with a .22 rifle as the fish skimmed the surface of the water. On another memorable outing on the Pilar, Hemingway attempted to spear a sperm whale with a harpoon propelled from a sawed-off shotgun specially jerry-rigged for the purpose. "

http://www.timelesshemingway.com/hemwithgun.jpg

I wouldn't mess with him...

I consider EH for one of the most fascinating individuals of the 20s century.

And i consider *For whom the bell tolls* for the best book i've ever read.

...besides *The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy* of course... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

'Big Two Hearted River' is the only Hemingway I will read and only because it was written about a river here in Michigans UP.

Like his contemporary Adolph Hitler, EH was literary hack and wrote in a bombastic, verbose style to make up for his lack of substance. Most of his work wold not pass a college level writting course. He wrote in a genre taken from the 1880's dime novel and invented nothing new himself. But since this style had not been seen for few years he struck note with some readers like college profesors, with no real adventure in thier own lives they read him started singing his praises as a 'mans man' and a great writter. EH and Hitler were, and still are, a best selling authors, despite their lack of writting skills

Most of his die hard fans lived vicariously through him and his adventures. Somehow, randomly killing things to no good end never impressed me.

While Hemingway himself never commited to any great endevour, other than himself, he constantly tried to carve a nitche in history for himself durring WWII. Stories of him leading a band of French Communist resistance around Normandy are greatly exaggerated. Find out which side of the lines he was on at this time. Not a lot of fighting going on where he was.

He was allways bugging the War Department with some hairbrained scheme to find self promoting glory. Witness the idea to hunt U-Boats: How the hell would he do this and what exactly would he do once he caught one? Ride it home to Norfolk?

His tooling around Cuba probably did more to alert U-boats and keep them vigillant to the presence of USN surface hunter/killer groups than anything else. Hell, he probably saved a few German lives! Hey! We should get him the Iron Cross posthumously.

As for "most fascinating individual(s) of the 20s century." Is the child running around at a family gathering pulling on everyones coat tales the 'most fascinating' person there? Hemingway could not stand being out of the spotlight and when it finaly dimmed and his writting no longer had a place in mainstream America he did what he did best: he grabed one final headline.

If any thing, the fact that chemically addicted, moody, self impressed, a-holes like EH and Kurt Cobaine shoot them selves sould be used as shining example of WHY we need to keep guns in the hands of citizens:It purges the genetic pool.