Attention Illinois Gun Owners

The following is a copy of an E-mail I recieved:

I am proposing a attempt to repeal the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.  As far as I know, no one has ever tried this.  If they have, please inform me.  The means to repeal the act is actually in the Statue 430 ILCS 65/ at the end of the FOID Act.  To repeal this act takes 2% of the registered voters in the state from which 2% of the registered voters in each county sign petitions to get it on the ballot in the next general election.  The easy part is getting the 1.2 or 1.5 million (depends on who you listen to) FOID owners to register and vote for the repeal.

(430 ILCS 65/16) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-16)

Sec. 16. When 2% of the number of registered voters in the State desire to pass upon the question of whether the General Assembly should repeal this Act regulating the acquisition, possession and transfer of firearms and firearm ammunition, they shall, at least 78 days before a regular election to be held throughout the State, file in the office of the State Board of Elections, a petition directed to the Board in accordance with the general election law. The petition shall be composed of county petitions from each of the counties throughout the State and each county petition shall contain the signatures of at least 2% of the number of registered voters in the county. The petition shall request that the question "Should the General Assembly repeal the Act entitled 'An Act relating to the acquisition, possession and transfer of firearms and firearm ammunition, to provide a penalty for the violation thereof and to make an appropriation in connection therewith,' approved August 3, 1967, as amended?" be submitted to the voters of the State at the next ensuing State-wide election at which such question may be acted upon.

(Source: P.A. 81-1489.) 

(430 ILCS 65/16.1) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-16.1)

Sec. 16.1. A petition for the submission of the proposition shall be in substantially the following form:

To the State Board of Elections

The undersigned, residents and registered voters of the State of Illinois, respectfully petition that you cause to be submitted, in the manner provided by the general election law to the voters of the State of Illinois, at the next State-wide election, the proposition "Should the General Assembly repeal an Act entitled 'An Act relating to the acquisition, possession and transfer of firearms and firearm ammunition, to provide a penalty for the violation thereof and to make an appropriation in connection therewith', approved August 3, 1967, as amended?"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Such petition shall conform to the requirements of the general election law. The Board shall certify the question to the proper election officials who shall submit the question at an election in accordance with the general election law. Upon request of any citizen for a reproduced copy of the petition and paying or tendering to the State Board of Elections the costs of making the copy, the Board shall immediately make, or cause to be made a reproduced copy of such petition. The Board shall also deliver to such person his official certification that such copy is a true copy of the original, stating the day when such original was filed in its office.

(430 ILCS 65/16-3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-16.3)

Sec. 16-3. The Secretary of State shall cause the question to be plainly printed upon separate ballots as follows:

Should the General Assembly repeal the Act

entitled "An Act relating to the acquisition,    YES

possession and transfer of firearms and

firearm ammunition, to provide a penalty      ---------------

for the violation thereof and to make an

appropriation in connection therewith",          NO

approved August 3, 1967, as amended?

(Source: P.A. 77-1819.)

You may think the hardest part will be getting 2% or the registered voters to sign a petition in Cook County, I disagree, I think it will be easier than getting folks organized in 102 counties to sign on to this and who will actually work on this project.  I believe there is a sizable amount of pro-gun building trade Union workers in Cook County willing to sign the petitions to get this act repealed and will actually help out if asked.  Anyway, this is not going to happen overnight nor is the next general election going to occur tomorrow.  We need to have atleast one person from each county to act as a coordinator for that county, in direct communications with the gun owners in his area as well communicating with the committee organizing the petition drive to make it happen.  Will it work?  Never know till you try.  If it doesn’t work the first time, you still have the coordinators you have enlisted for other projects.  Just because it doesn’t work the first time doesn’t necessarily mean you shouldn’t try again and again.  After all, do you think the anti-gunners quit because the bill they want doesn’t go anywhere?  Just look at SB 1195 and SB 2561, same text, different bill number.  SSDD.  They are never going to give up, why should we.  While trying to recruit county coordinators, draft bills to change the language of  430 ILCS 65/16, 430 ILCS 65/16.1 and  430 ILCS 65/16-3 and get someone to sponsor them.  I have already started drafting the bills and hope to have someone to sponsor them in 2005.  Once again, if it doesn’t get anywhere, try again.  Yellow is delete text, Underline is add text.

(430 ILCS 65/16) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-16)

Sec. 16. When 2% of the number of registered voters in the State desire to pass upon the question of whether the General Assembly should repeal this Act regulating the acquisition, possession and transfer of firearms and firearm ammunition, they shall, at least 78 days before a regular election to be held throughout the State, file in the office of the State Board of Elections, a petition directed to the Board in accordance with the general election law. The petition shall be composed of county petitions from each of the counties throughout the State and each county petition shall contain the signatures of at least 2% of the number of registered voters in the county. The petition shall request that the question "Should the General Assembly repeal the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act entitled 'An Act relating to the acquisition, possession and transfer of firearms and firearm ammunition, to provide a penalty for the violation thereof and to make an appropriation in connection therewith,' approved August 3, 1967, as amended?" be submitted to the voters of the State at the next ensuing State-wide election at which such question may be acted upon.

I will contact the IL Legislative Research Branch to find out is there are any other bills with this requirement that each county must have 2% of the registered voters from each county to repeal.  Just because I don’t vote doesn’t exempt me from paying taxes to run the state nor exempts me any state laws.  I have just as much a right in the say so of my government as anyone else.

(430 ILCS 65/16.1) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-16.1)

Sec. 16.1. A petition for the submission of the proposition shall be in substantially the following form:

To the State Board of Elections

The undersigned, residents and registered voters of the State of Illinois, respectfully petition that you cause to be submitted, in the manner provided by the general election law to the voters of the State of Illinois, at the next State-wide election, the proposition "Should the General Assembly repeal an the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act entitled 'An Act relating to the acquisition, possession and transfer of firearms and firearm ammunition, to provide a penalty for the violation thereof and to make an appropriation in connection therewith', approved August 3, 1967, as amended?"

Such petition shall conform to the requirements of the general election law. The Board shall certify the question to the proper election officials who shall submit the question at an election in accordance with the general election law. Upon request of any citizen for a reproduced copy of the petition and paying or tendering to the State Board of Elections the costs of making the copy, the Board shall immediately make, or cause to be made a reproduced copy of such petition. The Board shall also deliver to such person his official certification that such copy is a true copy of the original, stating the day when such original was filed in its office.

We need to change the text so the people will know exactly what they are voting for.  'An Act relating to the acquisition, possession and transfer of firearms and firearm ammunition, to provide a penalty for the violation thereof and to make an appropriation in connection therewith', approved August 3, 1967, as amended’ doesn’t tell me squat.

(430 ILCS 65/16-3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-16.3)

Sec. 16-3. The Secretary of State shall cause the question to be plainly printed upon separate ballots as follows:

Should the General Assembly repeal the Firearm

Owners Identification Card Act entitled

"An Act relating to the acquisition,            YES

possession and transfer of firearms and

firearm ammunition, to provide a penalty    ---------------

for the violation thereof and to make an

appropriation in connection therewith",          NO

approved August 3, 1967, as amended?

(Source: P.A. 77-1819.)

The hardest part is getting people off the couch and working to change this statue. 
If you never try, you never know.  Lets jerk a knot in Daley for a change.

Mac McWilliams

Take Back Illinois

2nd Amendment Committee

POB 441

Findlay, IL 62534

217-756-9009

email tbi2a@frontiernet.net

PLEASE REPLY TO MAC DIRECTLY TO SAVE TIME

Please pass the word on to any Illinois Residents

Has anyone cross-posted this at Packing.org? I'm sure that if they don't know, they'll want to...

I'm checking to see if it's up. If it's not, I'll go for one of the most effective CCW comms avenues out there.

One of you guys who are NRA or GOA members might want to pass this along to your respective organizations. (I'm still working on persuading my anti relatives to accept the notion of me and guns--they're just getting accustomed to me packing copies of mags like G&A and American Handgunner, and I think they only were OK with my Thompson shoot a couple weekends ago 'cause I was under supervision of a Class 2 Manufacturer FFL. Believe me, NRA and GOA memberships are on my to-do list, right after my WA, OR and FL CCW's and my sidearm.)

EDIT: Cross-posted to Packing.org at ~12:45 PST.

Edited by nedry